What is the difference between a good amp and a bad amp? I am buying a brandless amp soon, due to low budget, and want to know what the difference between a good and a bad amp. Is it a big difference? How so? Thanks!
a bad amp has poor sound and wont sound like what you want it to. Basically does its job but doesnt worry about the quality that comes out.
I... don't know how to answer that question. A good amp is... good?

I'd say yes, huge difference. If you're just starting out, maybe not so important? Also, a nice shortcut to buying a nice bass amp can be a PA speaker; you can get a 1x15 with a tweeter for around $AU500, and a cheap eq stompbox to go with it for $50 more, and I've found that will give you a much nice tone, and much more volume than comparably priced bass amps. Plus you can use it for guitar/vocals/music. Although it'll never compete with a nice bass am.
a bad amp will be quieter than a good amp of the same wattage, will have quality issues and a higher chance of breaking.
A good quality amp will be more reliable, louder, dependable, have more and better features and sound much better.

Quote by Wolffgang
I... don't know how to answer that question. A good amp is... good?

I'd say yes, huge difference. If you're just starting out, maybe not so important? Also, a nice shortcut to buying a nice bass amp can be a PA speaker; you can get a 1x15 with a tweeter for around $AU500, and a cheap eq stompbox to go with it for $50 more, and I've found that will give you a much nice tone, and much more volume than comparably priced bass amps. Plus you can use it for guitar/vocals/music. Although it'll never compete with a nice bass am.

I did this with a PA speaker about three times that price and hated it. It's not a bad idea but, yeah, a good amp is always best.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 3, 2010,
The process is like this:

You are a DVD
Your guitar is your DVD Player
Your amplifier is your Television and Sound System

You could be a bluray disk, but if you don't have a bluray player, it won't be magical. Similarly though, if you are using a bluray, but don't have an HDTV, then it still isn't going to be as much as it could be. The amplifier is best representation of sound. You can be amazing and have an amazing guitar, but if you have a crappy amp, you'll never be able to tell how good you are.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
The process is like this:

You are a DVD
Your guitar is your DVD Player
Your amplifier is your Television and Sound System

You could be a bluray disk, but if you don't have a bluray player, it won't be magical. Similarly though, if you are using a bluray, but don't have an HDTV, then it still isn't going to be as much as it could be. The amplifier is best representation of sound. You can be amazing and have an amazing guitar, but if you have a crappy amp, you'll never be able to tell how good you are.

Thats some deep metaphorical sh*t right there.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Three things: Volume, Tone, and Reliability
A good amps volume will be true to its wattage rating. Wattage is not a shure representation of volume, but there is generally a certain expected volume for a certain number of watts.

A good amp will have a good tone. Tone is subject to everyones opinion which is the reason why you cant just buy an amp someone else says is good without approving of it yourself.

A good amp will be reliable. This doesnt mean that you should be able to throw it off of the roof of your house and still expect it to work (although some will). It simply means that it will last you a good long while without providing any major problems.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat