So I'm going to be moving to Canada soon, (Hopefully in the next few moths) and so I'm going to have to sell all my stuff and buy new rig when I'm over there. (I won't be selling my stuff until I have booked my flight anyway). I know that thewre are basses available in America (and assumably Canada) that can't be found here in the UK, so I've been looking around on the internet. I've been looking at some websites that deliver to Canada, but I have not been impressed so far. I expected Guitar Center's website to have a really good selection, maybe my expectations were too high, I don't know. Anyway, can anyone recommend any good websites to look at to find basses to buy?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
musicians friend
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Musicians Friend only ships some of their product to Canada (although more and more is being added). However, I think Guitar Centre owns MF anyway, so their stock is identical anyway. Either way, you're not going to find much more here than you have at home, perhaps easier access to a variety with more stores, but it's still the same stuff you have over there.
Whereabouts will you be moving in Canada?

I find that your best bet would be to check www.axemusic.com if you're moving out west; or www.long-mcquade.com if you're moving towards the east. Both websites ship all over Canada though; probably a better bet than paying out your nose for import taxes and duty fees.
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Last edited by CommaBass at Aug 3, 2010,
GC/MF really isn't that impressive, if I were you I'd start looking at the craigslist for wherever in Canada you're moving to. There's more to be had in used gear than what US/Canadian retailers have to offer.

EDIT: another thing to do would be to research the city/town you're moving to. See if they have any mom and pop stores. You never know what gems you might find in a small-time shop.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by CommaBass

Either Saskatoon, Calgary or Ontario, depends where my dad's new job is based.

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Surely you could find a decent local shop once you get sorted out? Could be fun..

Kijiji is also a good online service, ala Craigslist
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Well; Axe music has a main warehouse in Calgary; Saskatoon wouldn't be a problem and Long & McQuade is based out of Ontario. If you're moving to Ontario; www.lamusic.ca would be another option; I've found some stuff through them that's harder to find, and at decent prices.

Hope some of this helps
My Gear:
Fender Squier VM Jazz Bass
ESP LTD B-5E
ESP LTD EC-330FM
Ibanez RGD7421
Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Pod X3
Well thanks for the replies, I see now that there are some good websites. I would definitely hope that there would be a decent music shop locally, but just incase there isn't one it's good to know that I have some other options.

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
In Calgary you won't have a problem finding a good store (probably many), Saskatoon might be a little tougher but there'll still be a few and Ontario is big place, but if you're in Toronto, that's kind of the music centre of Canada, so you'll do better than all right. So for in-store stuff you'll be set. As for online, you've already got some good suggestions. For looking used though, go with kijiji over Craigslist I'd say.
Quote by CommaBass

I find that your best bet would be to check www.axemusic.com if you're moving out west; or www.long-mcquade.com if you're moving towards the east. Both websites ship all over Canada though; probably a better bet than paying out your nose for import taxes and duty fees.

Both good selections. Have used Axe music to ship to Ontario before, free shipping on anything over $199. Long&McQuade is a great shop, they're pretty much Canada's version of GC but some of the employees have a brain. If you know what you're after the best thing to do is go to the manufacturers website and check their list of Canadian dealers.
Anyone know how much duty/custom MF/GC charged when you ship to canada....anyone experience this
It depends completely on what you're buying (where it was made) and how much it costs. If the item is made in Canada, US, or Mexico there is no duty. When I shipped my Markbass stuff up here it was about $40 on a $600 item. But it'll probably depend a lot on what the item is and where it was made etc. Also remember that GST is added on at the border as well.
Hey guys I'm pretty much gonna have to wait until I get there and look around but everything should be fine anyways. Now I have a new problem but it's more about my own stupidity, so I thought I'd just convert this thread.

Now my dad has just got his friend to buy me an Acoustic stack for when I move, and he needs to try it out, but he doesn't know what to set the impedence at on the head, and neither do I despite the numerous times I've attempted to learn how it all works.

The stack is:

Acoustic B200 head - 200W @ 4 Ohms

Acoustic B410 Cab - 400W @ 8 Ohms

Acoustic B115 Cabs - 250W @ 8 Ohms

Now do I set the impedance on the head to 4 Ohms if I plug them both into the head (parallel)? I'm not sure and I don't want any damage to come to them.

Thanks.

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
OK cool, thanks for the info

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom