Hi Guys and Gals,
I am new to this forum and to playing guitar.
I have always appreciated the skill and dedication that goes into playing any instrument and iIhave decide to make time (away from family and kids) to dedicate to playing the guitar.

I am looking at one of 2 guitars,
1. Epiphone SG 400. Costs about $450 Australian. It feels good and the tone is nice.
2 Legacy Immortal SG. Costs $500 Ozzie with a hardcase. Also sounds good.

The problem is I cannot find any history or reviews on the Legacy Immortal. I can find heaps on the Epiphone.
I would love some feedback on the brands as I dont want a guitar that is of poor material or workmanship.

I would also appreciate some comments regarding set vs bolt on necks.

Cheers and thanks. I have found this forum really useful already.
Legacy are generally shit guitars, poor build quality and pretty much disintegrate over a short period of time, go the epi, theyre usually pretty decent and have decent quality control checks.
never heard of legacy guitars, do you have the possibility of playing it before buying?

well set-necks are glued in necks (typical sg/les paul construction) which might give you a better sustain compared to bolt on necks, but its mostly just personal preference....
and for the neck issue, bolt on necks have less sustain and arent natural to the wood of the body and are usually easier to be warped but can also be set up more easily and warping can be changed by an adjustment of the truss rod, the set necks have more sustain and usually more access to the higher frets but if the body wood rejects the neck wood, you'll have big issues.
The epi sgs are solid guitars. I have a G400 custom from '99 and it still works great with the original hardware. I also have a heavily modified G310. I love SGs so I would say that the Epi is a safe bet for sure.
The G-400 is alright, though they're too neck-heavy for me to bother with - had one, sold it shortly afterwards because the neck dive was so bad. That said, if you can deal with the neck dive then it's a better guitar than the Legacy. Looking up the spec of the Legacy, it's a generic MIC SG copy (using basswood for the body no less) with the notoriously awful EMG HZ passive pickups. Basically it's about on-par with the Epiphone G-310, if that.

Quote by connorhxcchaos
and for the neck issue, bolt on necks have less sustain and arent natural to the wood of the body and are usually easier to be warped but can also be set up more easily and warping can be changed by an adjustment of the truss rod, the set necks have more sustain and usually more access to the higher frets but if the body wood rejects the neck wood, you'll have big issues.
This entire post is the most incredible collection of utter gibberish I have ever read.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by connorhxcchaos

You're creative, I'll give you that.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by connorhxcchaos

Ehm...what?

LRN2GUITARPART PLZ
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.