hey guys

im trying to get a nice fuzz tone and i know all the settings I should be using etc.

however iw as wondering what order the pedal should be in the signal chain.

the way i see it there are three options (bbm refers to bass big muff pi)

BBM > SANSAMP > AMP

SANSAMP >BBM > AMP

SANSAMP >AMP > BBM(in effects loop)

I don't know much about signal chains...what do you guys think is the best way to do this...
Best way to find out is just try them. I don't use my driver with my fuzz, but I run a distortion into a fuzz then into my amp.

My thought process is I think I'd rather take my distorted signal and give it some heavy fuzz rather than take a heavy fuzzed signal and send it through the distortion. Just seems to make more sense to me, but it really comes down to I like the way that chain sounds better.
I'm guessing you just mean the Sansamp bass driver, and not the VT bass or something?

If so, I'd run muff --> sansamp --> amp, so that if you use the DI output, the muff will still be in your chain.

also in my experience, fuzz into overdrive makes for a much clearer tone than OD into fuzz.
^ Agreed on the last part, I use a guitar dist. through my SansampVT Bass and it actually doesn't sound half-bad. So, I'd reccomend BBM -> Sansamp -> amp, definitely.
Quote by DPinky
I'm guessing you just mean the Sansamp bass driver, and not the VT bass or something?

If so, I'd run muff --> sansamp --> amp, so that if you use the DI output, the muff will still be in your chain.

also in my experience, fuzz into overdrive makes for a much clearer tone than OD into fuzz.

Would you say the same would be true replacing the OD with distortion?
ill be using the dry setting to blend the fuzz and my clean if that helps...
Quote by Lazarus.Bird
Would you say the same would be true replacing the OD with distortion?

Depends on how high gain the distortion is, but it's all a matter of personal preference really. I run a modded ODB-3, and putting that before my muff gave me uncontrollable gain. the fuzz took every little distorted artefact and made it even fuzzier. I found that running it the other way around with a nicely clean blended signal on the ODB was much smoother, and i assumed it would be the same for the Sansamp.
I used to run my pedal-preamp thing first in my chain, but then I realized that it defeated the purpose of half of the pedal, so I run it last now (being a DI and what not).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i never use it as a DI, more as a preamp

i guess ill try it out again and see what works
I can give opinions on running a gutiar distortion with a big muff.
I run a Boss DS-2,with every set at about 12 o'clock,into a big muff with the volume set accordingly,the tone on 0 and the gain about 10 o'clock.
This gives me a very smoothed out sound meaning that doesn't cut through too much,I sit in just the right place in the mix.The other way just sounds like a muddy mess put through a treble blender.
Either way,doubling up on gain stages gives you that uncontrollable wail of feedback that I so dearly love
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by NCBass93
i never use it as a DI, more as a preamp

i guess ill try it out again and see what works

You can most likely do what I used to do then. I used to have my set up as my hartke bass attack doing a really chunky sort of tone (the harmonics/preamp knob was turned all the way up so it would distort) and the BBM was on dry mode with the volume being blended to be equal with the other tone. (and BBM tone low and sustain high).

Are you looking for just fuzz? Well, it doesn't matter I guess. I would set the BBM to dry mode anyway just so you can have that illusion of two tones (the clean signal cuts through amazingly compared to the fuzz).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
yea im basically going for a Timmy C sort of sound. A blended clean and fuzz basically