Guitar humidity effecting an electric guitar?

That's what I thought at first. Ok well Back in November I got a fish tank, 29gallon and upgraded it to a 55 still keeping the 29 running too. I also keep my guitars in my room. Of course it doesn't effect the first guitar I ever bought: a Yamaha Pacifica because there is no layered finish for water to get under. But when I bought my Schecter Synyster Custom in February I had no thought whatsoever on what the water loss from my tanks would do to my guitar. After a few months I noticed small grey areas starting. I wasn't too worried about it, I just thought the paint was fading or something. As it grew and grew I got more worried and figured it out that I am stupid for keeping my guitar in my room with 78% humidity and 2 fishtanks constantly evaporating water. I put my Synyster Custom on ebay cause I can't stand to see its beauty ruined. When/if that sells I want to buy another one (possibly white so if it happens again for some reason its less noticeable)

But anyway should humidity from outside of a guitar be penetrating the clear polyurethane or whatever is sealing the guitar? To me it seems like the guitar should be SEALED with all that clear they got on there.

Anyway if I decide to get another one what can I do to prevent this. I just measured my basement humidity below my room and its at 70% and on the opposite side of the basement (small room) it is 65%, but in the winter we have to humidify our house! I just don't know what to do. Should I keep the guitar downstairs? Should I find a way to seal it off? Silica beads or another water remover? We have a dehumidifier but my dad is the type of person that would say that's wasting electricity and doesn't need to be on 24/7. Anybody else have any problems with electric guitars and humidity? What did you do?

Thanks for any help in advance, sorry the post is all over I just don't know what to do.
Last edited by A7XSchecter6661 at Aug 3, 2010,
Buy a hardcover case for each guitar, and put them away in there when they're not being used. The case will protect them from most of the humidity, as long as it's closed.

Hope this helps

P.S. Dont sell the Syn! That's a gorgeous guitar! You'll regret it
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

To be honest I don't think the humidity is the problem. I never heard of the humidity getting under the finish, and turning it gray.

Once the finish is completely cured it should be resistant to moisture. You should even be able to wipe the finish down with a damp cloth, with no issues.

That said I have no idea what is turning your guitars finish gray, but I seriously doubt its related to humidity. If humidity was high enough to be a big problem for you, your hardware and strings would start to be affected before the paint.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 3, 2010,
I LOVE the guitar, its not so gorgeous with the ugly gray marks in it
I will buy another if it sells. I have a hard case but I never used it I just had it hanging on the wall across from my fish tanks :x

I know its water cause I put a hair dryer on the guitar on hot and I could see the vapor slowly start spreading It might be from the wood not being dry but I would have to say its from the fish tanks and its not completely "sealed"

but good idea, no rust or anything on the hardwear or strings. Usually even unplayed my friends strings get rusty and you can just feel it when they are but mine are perfectly smooth no rust at all. Maybe it is a defective guitar.

But if I get another and keep it downstairs in a sealed room in the case, possibly with the dehumidifier on occasionally I should be good?

heres a pic of the ugly humidity
That pic changes things a bit. I think the paint job is the problem, not the humidity. It seems the moisture is somehow getting trapped between layers of paint. My Schecter has a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects. I'd call them, tell them what is going on, and send them that pic. They have great customer service.
Quote by Matt420740
That pic changes things a bit. I think the paint job is the problem, not the humidity. It seems the moisture is somehow getting trapped between layers of paint. My Schecter has a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects. I'd call them, tell them what is going on, and send them that pic. They have great customer service.

The only problem there is I bought it from a non authorized Schecter dealer. They don't need to know that say the people at guitar center. They said just get a hold of them and and they should back their product up. I told them who I bought it from wasn't a Schecter dealer and they were like tell them that they said they were and you had no way to prove it being the consumer so you went with it. They really should back up their product since I am on my 3rd Schecter guitar and I love them. But I emailed them and the response I got was along the lines of it is not their problem because it was with the finish and that's not under warranty. I think they think its a wear and tear issue.

I never filled out the warranty card but I hear that's just to get it on the mailing list. And providing my proof of purchase is an Ebay receipt so no proof of Schecter Authorization. So I figured Id sell it cheap and buy another one with a warranty. What should I do?
are your strings rusting fast? like within a couple weeks? what kind of strings are you using?

i'm asking because as matt said above, they would rust far quicker than a finish issue.

possibly something happened with the finish, not completely sealed or some drying malfunction. you got the guitar in feb and it started doing it relatively soon so, i'm thinking a mfg flaw. how long is the mfg warranty?

70% is high but i've seen stores with acoustic rooms more humid than that. i would just keep it in the case.

edit: oops, slow post ftl.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
are your strings rusting fast? like within a couple weeks? what kind of strings are you using?

i'm asking because as matt said above, they would rust far quicker than a finish issue.

possibly something happened with the finish, not completely sealed or some drying malfunction. you got the guitar in feb and it started doing it relatively soon so, i'm thinking a mfg flaw. how long is the mfg warranty?

70% is high but i've seen stores with acoustic rooms more humid than that. i would just keep it in the case.

The strings I got changed in February and they are still PERFECT and nicely worn in (ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom.) The manufacturer warranty is lifetime but I bought it from an unauthorized dealer so they won't count it unless I really fight. Regardless of where I bought it I still bought THEIR product. Anyone wanna lend me a receipt for a synyster custom? haha
Quote by gregs1020

+1

Its almost like the clearcoat has separated from the base coat in spots, and moisture is getting trapped in between. Probably due to poor sanding between coats.

If I were you I'd give it one more shot and instead of e-mail, call them. Tell them there is a problem with the finish, but that its not wear or scratch related, its a production problem. Leave out the fish tanks and high humidity stuff, tell him the problem, and let him know you have pictures available to send.

This is why I tell you to call them.
I had a problem with the bridge on my Schecter. There was a screw cross-threaded on the tone-pros bridge. I called Schecter, told them the problem. The guy told me not to worry, he was gonna mail me a new bridge, and some other goodies. A week later I got a new tone-pros bridge, a set of hex keys for adjusting the guitar, and some Schecter stickers. All for free. And the guy never asked where I bought the guitar, how long I had it or anything. All he needed was the serial #, and my name and address to send the parts. Its worth giving them a call, you might get lucky.

1-800-660-6621
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 3, 2010,
yea it's a finish issue. the relatively high humidity may be the issue but it's a flawed guitar. possibly that's how it ended up on the bay.

i actually don't think the flaw looks bad myself, it just adds some character.

if it plays nice and sounds good just keep it is my rec. who cares how it looks? my strat has dings all over it and it just adds mojo imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Alright I guess I will give that a try. Would ne nice if I could send mine in and get a replacement. Thanks for the info guys!
anybody think there's a way to fix it myself if it comes to that?
I'm sure if I drilled a hole in it i could get the moisture out but I don't wanna do that :P lol