Howdy. I've been playing guitar for nearly a year now and I feel that I've progressed in my playing ability rather quickly. I'm certainly no pro, but I wouldn't call myself a beginner any more. I now tell people that I can play the guitar, as opposed to saying 'I'm learning how to play...'. I know that it isn't a necessity for me to spend money on new equipment right now, but I'm ****ing tempted.

Recently I've been reading up on guitars n shiz; different brands and stuff and I still haven't made a decision as to which guitar I would purchase if I was feeling saucy. So far I have kinda figured that since I love playing heavy shit, I'd want either a Jackson, ESP, Ibanez or a Dean (forgive me If I left out some of your favourites) and I'd want a Floyd rose bridge with EMG/Seymour Duncan pick-ups.

Right now I'm playing a second hand Strat copy by Gear4music, with a Gear4music 15watt practice amp and some rusty ass Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings.
Ibanez Prestige RG or S series is definately something to look out for.

Personally i'd stay away from deans but thats just me

you should also check out the Dinky,Rhoads,Kelly and warrior ranges for jacksons, pretty solid if you ask me.

I'd also recommend you looking into schecters and washburn, sometimes overlooked for metal.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
jackson kelly ftw. imma gibson guy, i think they are just fine for metal. you should look at schecter as the gentleman above me said. he pretty much said what needed to be said. make sure you do your research with floyd's and such.

but personally i'd say upgrade your amp bro. i'd do that first. i'd rather have a half assed guitar that i culd fix up to be decent and have a great amp versus a half assed amp(cant really fix up an amp like a guitar) and a great guitar.
whats your budget?

You might find that you will need a much better amp if you wish to play the heavy shit

Giggity

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Aug 3, 2010,
get a new amp. It will improve your sound by leagues, whereas upgrading your guitar will only slightly change your sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1

I'd say get an amp first, or go 50/50 with the budget and get an amp and a guitar - those 15 watt starter amps really are awful. The choice of EMG/Duncan pickups , for example, is pointless with that amp, you won't even tell the difference.

A new guitar won't improve your sound at all, a new amp will - it all depends on your budget really. You can pick up a decent practice/jamming amp like a Peavey Vypyr 30 for £175, that should still leave you with enough budget for a decent guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
+1

I'd say get an amp first, or go 50/50 with the budget and get an amp and a guitar - those 15 watt starter amps really are awful. The choice of EMG/Duncan pickups , for example, is pointless with that amp, you won't even tell the difference.

A new guitar won't improve your sound at all, a new amp will - it all depends on your budget really. You can pick up a decent practice/jamming amp like a Peavey Vypyr 30 for £175, that should still leave you with enough budget for a decent guitar.

even with a vypyr i think branded pickups wouldnt make a difference, i think that purchase should be postponed to the later future.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
hey guys, thanks for the replies. I guess that's where all my decision making will need to be pretty good; with regards to different models and ranges. I have no clue about them things, but ill look into your suggestions.

I also plan on upgrading my amp along with my guitar, I understand that the amp plays a big part in the overall sound and stuff.

I'd be on a budget of around £1000, probably just under that. So if you could suggest some good quality stuff that comes in at around half a grand, I'd appreciate it!
peavey 6505 combo for your amp. hell, go used. go used on your guitar and you could easily get a decent to great guitar for like 400-500$
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Aug 3, 2010,
Yup

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-Combo-Guitar-Amplifier/C0C

that's your amp right there, still leaves £550 for a guitar...new an Ibanez S-series is a good place to start looking.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/85159

with any guitar I wouldn't let pickups be a deal breaker, they're always something you can upgrade a little further down the line
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 3, 2010,
^ +1000.

You'll be in for a treat with that beast.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
...about the pick-ups? is it hard/expensive to get EMG/Seymour Duncans fitted in a guitar?

I've read some stuff about active pick-ups and how they may be better, but require a battery pack to be installed...? something like that
Last edited by dr_johnston at Aug 3, 2010,
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm (Going used as mentioned could save you a ton of money)

Jackson RR3, ESP LTD 400 series guitars (EC-401, EX-400, M-401, etc), An Ibanez Prestige RG, there's a lot of stuff designed for 'heavy metal'.

I suggest looking at the websites of the guitar companies, seeing what you like, and checking the prices accordingly. If it stays within your budget keep it in mind and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
www.jacksonguitars.com
www.espguitars.com
http://www.schecter.co.jp/diamond/gt/index.html
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html

If I'm correct there are better sites to explore than thomann, forgive me as I really don't know them. But you should look at this gear anyway.
Quote by dr_johnston
...about the pick-ups? is it hard/expensive to get EMG/Seymour Duncans fitted in a guitar?

I've some stuff about active pick-ups and how they may be better, but require a battery pack to be installed...? something like that

You're missing the point - once you've got a new amp, you won't need new pickups. You can get them to fine tune your sound, but in general, if you're playing into a 6505+, even a $100 no name guitar will sound like a gnarly beast.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
oh... well I suppose that's good news then. I figure I must of got over excited when I went on EMG's website and saw Kirk Hammett glorifying them in an interview... ah well. Thanks for the info.

I didn't realise I could get a respectable set up for less than a grand. My mate has an 800 pound guitar and he is lead singer in a band! Waste?
Quote by dr_johnston
oh... well I suppose that's good news then. I figure I must of got over excited when I went on EMG's website and saw Kirk Hammett glorifying them in an interview... ah well. Thanks for the info.

I didn't realise I could get a respectable set up for less than a grand. My mate has an 800 pound guitar and he is lead singer in a band! Waste?

not really a waste. it's only a waste if it's sitting in a corner collecting dust.