Page 1 of 2
Imagine that you are still a minor (if you aren't currently) and are living with your parents.

Its been tough economically, and your parents haven't been getting along for a while and are on the verge of divorce (Your mother stealing money from him and using it for her own entertainment). So naturally you try to make your family as happy as you can.

Your dad (who is the most hard working and caring person that you've ever known) is working two jobs and is struggling to pay the bills as well as keep the family together. Not to mention that he is fairly old now and is physically in pain now (he is around 50).

Your older brother (who just recently became a legal adult) has offered to help your dad pay bills with part of his earnings. While he does have an official job, you also know that your older brother sells pot illegally. So most of the money that he gives your dad and your family is "dirty money".

Your dad is very strong against any sort of drug and prefers an honest living. He would be heartbroken and kick out your brother if he knew where he was getting that money from.

Would you be faithful to your dad which has always been great to you and is going through a horrible time in life by telling him? Or would you keep it quiet for the good of the family?

If you don't tell him
-Brother stays in house, making father happier
-Less financial stress
-More house work and chores can be done, leaving less physical stress on all

If you do tell him
-Less guilt
-No potential danger to your father (such as law)
-You would make your dad proud by staying loyal to how he raised you

Odd scenario, but what can you do right?

Keep in mind how your father would feel in the situation rather than your own feelings. He is getting old and it is just starting to really show. He must be depressed from everything that is happening to him, there is no telling what might happen if things get worse.

So pit, what would you do?

JacobTheEdit: Its an imaginary situation that I made up while taking a shower. This thread isn't about what I should do in my own life. This is about what YOU would do if you were in this fictional scenario.
Last edited by JacobTheMe at Aug 3, 2010,
your family is fuuuukced up, TS... just sayin'
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
You don't rat on family bro. Talk to your brother and make sure he keeps the illegal money in cash (not bank accounts or anything else) and gives dad clean money from his job (direct deposit, withdraw it to give to dad)
I wouldnt tell him, Why should I feel guilty by keeping a secret from him?
Why would the father get in trouble with the law? He doesnt know he's selling pot he just takes his money.
Why would he be proud? Less money, more stress and the son will be in jail for a while.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I would tell your brother to stop meddling in drug culture before the police tell your dad about it.
what he doesn't know won't hurt him. if he did find out, I'm sure this father, based on how caring you've described him to be, would be understanding.

to hell with pride.
Well if I was him and I didn't know, it wouldn't hurt me obviously.

So don't tell him. Its not like the ONLY money your bro makes is from pot, and if he gets caught by the law, he'll be in trouble, not you or your family. Just accept it as part of life until you guys get on your feet a little.

All in all, telling him would be the right thing to do, but not telling him is what you need to do.

Actually **** that, telling him isn't even necessarily right. Don't rat on your bro for trying to help all of you.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Last edited by Gman400 at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by UntilISleep
...I would tell him personally.

What you dont know, Won't hurt you.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by JacobTheMe
Its hypothetical guys.

I like making up moral concepts while I take showers.

Well that's lame and annoying.
He'll find out about the drugs eventually, either way.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Unless the father did somehow get in trouble for the dirty money. Then you'd have the family fall apart, and when the dad asks if anyone knew about this, you would have, and you could have prevented it.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

What if you don't know that you have pancreatic cancer?
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Quote by JacobTheMe
Its hypothetical guys.

hypothetically speaking, you could tell your brother to get out of drug selling and take up male prostitution. that way he could contribute money to the family that wouldn't be coming from drugs.

problem solved.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Zaphikh
I would tell your brother to stop meddling in drug culture before the police tell your dad about it.

Leaning heavily towards this. Eventually your dad will find out. We always do.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by UntilISleep
Unless the father did somehow get in trouble for the dirty money. Then you'd have the family fall apart, and when the dad asks if anyone knew about this, you would have, and you could have prevented it.

Why would he get in trouble?
He didnt know it is dirty money, only the son could get in trouble for this.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Gman400
Well that's lame and annoying.

Its either that or singing John Mayer songs.
I would tell your dad.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
you do what you have to do to pay bills bro......

Its hard to find honest work that pays enough to live a good life in this world anymore, especially right out of high school or college. Not impossible, but hard and your brother deserves a chance to help his family and your father deserves some help. If your brother gets caught, well you can worry about that then but right now let it go. The end justifies the means right
Quote by JacobTheMe
Its either that or singing John Mayer songs.

...good choice.
I'd spare my pops the grief. Wouldn't be the first time I kept something from him to keep him from stressing out even more.
I don't have anything against drug use, I smoke occasionally myself. But I just know how strong my dad would feel about dealing, let alone smoking.

I wouldn't mind my brother dealing if he didn't live under my dad's roof. And I honestly respect him for caring so much about the family that he is willing to put himself in that kind of danger.

Hypothetically, of course.
it's your brother man, you don't do those kind of things to your brother, you better shut up, i mean your brother may be doing wrong, but he does what he can to help the family, so you should be grateful.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Why would he get in trouble?
He didnt know it is dirty money, only the son could get in trouble for this.

http://www.suntimes.com/special_sections/crime/37611,cst-nws-gangb08.article

If the police traced the dirty money back to the son, then to the father, they could arrest the father on suspicion of being involved with that sort of thing, I believe. Someone experienced with the law could come in and clarify this as I'm not an expert, but this is what I've gotten out of some research I did.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Its hypothetical guys.

that's weird, normally when I'm in the shower I just wash myself
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Get the nice guy to divorce his bitch wife....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by pak1351
You don't rat on family bro. Talk to your brother and make sure he keeps the illegal money in cash (not bank accounts or anything else) and gives dad clean money from his job (direct deposit, withdraw it to give to dad)

^This. Theres virtually no chance of the father getting in trouble over having drug money, but better safe than sorry. Theres also no point in putting even more stress on a family that is already considering divorce.

What the brother does to make money is his own business, as long as he doesn't drag anybody else into trouble with him.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by JacobTheMe
I don't have anything against drug use, I smoke occasionally myself. But I just know how strong my dad would feel about dealing, let alone smoking.

I wouldn't mind my brother dealing if he didn't live under my dad's roof. And I honestly respect him for caring so much about the family that he is willing to put himself in that kind of danger.

Hypothetically, of course.

My parents are a bit older than yours, but have the same outlook on drugs and selling. So I know where you are coming from.

I look at it like this. Its not my fault the government and media portrayed soft drugs like weed the way they did back then. Such as Reefer Madness. They have just been mis-informed all their lives about the plant.

Now they could re-educate themselves, change their views, but they choose not to. That is their choice.

Should your brother have to suffer the consequences of your dads "Reefer Madness"?

I don't see why he should.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Get the nice guy to divorce his bitch wife....

The father is old remember? Imagine that he isn't the most attractive. You can assume that he will not be with another person for the remainder of his life.

And that would probably happen with time anyway.
so what?

he has two loving sons, he would be much happier and always the chance of meeting another person.

old people still ****.

ask jackal...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by JacobTheMe
Keep in mind how your father would feel in the situation rather than your own feelings.

No. If your father strongly opposes the buying and selling of cannabis, then he is wrong about it, much like how everyone else who does is. I wouldn't say anything about your brother; it's not hurting your father by not knowing but it would hurt pretty much everyone if he did know.
Quote by Craigo
No. If your father strongly opposes the buying and selling of cannabis, then he is wrong about it, much like how everyone else who does is. I wouldn't say anything about your brother; it's not hurting your father by not knowing but it would hurt pretty much everyone if he did know.

How about this.

His brother stops dealing drugs and brings in money made from legal work, and then Jacob works for a job to give in some money as well to cover whatever money would have been given from the drug profits.

No risk of consequences. No acts that conflict with the father's moral code. Completely legal and completely honest. What harm could there be in it?
Don't tell him. Your brother is doing something good here and it will only cause trouble to tell your father. He deserves to get some help.
Quote by JacobTheMe
The thread is still make believe guys.
believe what?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by JacobTheMe
The thread is still make believe guys.

I was speaking hypothetically, of course.
the answer to this question is **** the police
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Page 1 of 2