hey guys, i've been playing guitar for around 7 years now. and i'd class myself as higher level of intermediate. the only issue is that i decided to run before i could walk, ie i learned songs like muse-plug in baby before i learned smoke on the water. for the first year i barely knew any chords, and didn't bother to learn them. i know it's stupid of me...
but yeh, i can play the likes of plug in baby, sweet child of mine etc even some clapton and many other 'pick-y' type songs to a high standard.
and i can do chords, i know a fair amount of chords now, so can play some riffs and the like. my only problem is that my strum patterns just desert me after 30 seconds or so, i can't even do american idiot all the way through without messing up half a dozen times at least. and if i play and sing at the same time i'll be lucky to get to ten seconds before i mess up.
there's only ONE song i can play all the way through while singing at the same time and that's "tom petty & the heartbreakers - free falling"
so i guess it's back to the beginning strumming wise for me...

i know i messed up when starting out, i hold my hands up and admit i was wrong, and every new guitarist forum here i always post saying learn chords, get strum patterns down because i don't want others doing what i did and having to do some major u-turns later on down the line.

so can you guys tell me some exercises or techniques i can use to improve my strum patterns, i don't care if it's really really basic stuff, i guess i need to go back to the start on this one.

any songs you can suggest i start with aswell??? just need some form of guidance as to where to go.

thanks guys

JD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Aug 3, 2010,
that's weird...what exactly is your trouble when trying to strum? i played nothing but hard rock/metal when i first started, those "pick-y" one-note riffs and solos, but didn't have too much trouble strumming some chords for opeth and what not when i eventually wanted to. is the pick slipping out or something?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
that's weird...what exactly is your trouble when trying to strum? i played nothing but hard rock/metal when i first started, those "pick-y" one-note riffs and solos, but didn't have too much trouble strumming some chords for opeth and what not when i eventually wanted to. is the pick slipping out or something?

i just can't keep a steady pattern... it's weird i know but simple things like as i said, american idiot which is essentially just A, D and G i just can't do. my pattern just goes. i don't think about anything else nor am i massively overconcentrating on the strum, i concentrate yeh but not to the degree i forget to breathe, it just goes... and then i cant get it back so i just give up, put the guitar down and walk away, many times this problem has caused me to put the guitar down and not pick it up for a week or so... i just can't do it. and it's quite depressing lol
and nope, the pick stays in my hand, most of the time i use the back of my fingers anyway not a pick/plectrum so don't have that issue.
Do you know the funk style of strumming? The rapid-fire "chucking" on the sixteenth notes? If you look for some videos on that, and practice just chucking on dead notes, then normal strumming will become eeeeeaaaasy. With funk strumming, it all depends on just the right amount of wrist motion and just the right amount of forearm motion.... You'll become a strumming technician.

Learning the funk rhythms would normally be a little more difficult than learning normal strumming, but seeing your dilemma, I think if you just get the chucking down, then you should be fine.

Also, funk is fun as hell.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
BlueGreen - Will do! thanks for the advice =) and yeh funk is always cool and always appropriate xD
I started playing Maiden stuff before I could even play Greenday songs which consists of powerchords, and I'm doing fine. Don't see what's wrong with that. Anyway, if you been playing for 7 years I'd expect you to be able to keep a steady pattern and have rhythm. But like it's been said, find a song you like, find a certain pattern, listen to it multiple times then play it on guitar, listen to it again and play it again. Repeat. That way the "rhythm" gets stuck in your head. Then don't forget to practice everyday. Practice makes perfect.
you`ve got to go back to basics.....grade 1 tunes

try
wild thing by the troggs
mull of kintyre by wings
oba di oba da by the beatles

for really simple strumming patterns, yes they are unpopular by todays standards and out of fashion it you are younger than 50 but these are the sacrifices you need to make.

try some galloping patterns ala iron maiden run to the hills, these are dead easy `cos it literally sounds like a horse galloping.

use a metronome.
@ ibanezgod - i don't mind making sacrifices, i don't play guitar for fashion or to get girls or anything, i play guitar because i enjoy playing guitar and it's an escape from other issues. ("and my plug in baby, crucifies my enemies when i'm tired of living" - in the immortal words of matt bellamy)