My laptop is really messed up. I don't know what caused it, Windows kicked me off to install an update this morning, I installed a Firefox update after that and since then this has bee happening:

Whenever I try to open anything I get this message (at the top it's Explorer.exe, so that seems to be where the problem is): "the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the defalt programs control panel".

I get that for most things including my wireless adaptor so I can't get on the internet either. However I can open things such as Guitar Pro and Audacity. I tried a system restore and the problem is still there.

So yeah. Need help.
whats your OS? vista? XP? 7? and do you know which update it was?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
whats your OS? vista? XP? 7? and do you know which update it was?

Wow, I can't believe I forgot that. Windows 7, and I'm not sure.
Quote by consecutive e
System Restore back to yesterday.

Already did that, for some reason the problem is still there. I believe I mentioned that somewhere in my post. If not, I just did now.
Firefox Update suffered an attack from malicious software. Just like a fake Youtube site that tells you to install 'Flash', which turns out to be a virus.

What you need to do is boot into safe mode, and run a program called MALWAREBYTES.

If you need more information on how to do this or run into other errors in doing so, let me know. There are a few things that can be done before a re-install is necessary.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Already did that, for some reason the problem is still there. I believe I mentioned that somewhere in my post. If not, I just did now.

Oh my bad, try going back even further. I used to deal with this problem heaps and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been the firefox update. Could be a virus thing, run a Malwarebytes scan real quick.
Quote by us-cert.gov

Firefox Releases Firefox 3.6.8
added July 26, 2010 at 08:40 am

The Mozilla Foundation has released Firefox 3.6.8 to address a critical vulnerability. This vulnerability may allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code.

US-CERT encourages users and administrators to review the Mozilla Foundation security advisory MFSA 2010-48 and update to Firefox 3.6.8 to help mitigate the risks.

Oh well there you go
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 3, 2010,
hmm... i run 7 and haven't had any issues of any description yet =/

as "consecutive e" suggests, restore it back to yesterday, maybe the day before for safety... other than that take it to a shop... sounds like the update cancelled itself halfway through doing it's thing so nothing notices anything else.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by derekgray

What you need to do is boot into safe mode, and run a program called MALWAREBYTES.

If you need more information on how to do this or run into other errors in doing so, let me know. There are a few things that can be done before a re-install is necessary.

+1

Malwarebytes will catch and destroy almost anything. Including Chuck Norris.
Quote by Matt420740
+1

Malwarebytes will catch and destroy almost anything. Including Chuck Norris.

And those who believe in the power of Malwarebytes are actually protected in saying that.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by Matt420740
+1

Malwarebytes will catch and destroy almost anything.

It's good but it's not super dooper awesome. Blast it with Dr. Web as well.
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e
It's good but it's not super dooper awesome. Blast it with Dr. Wrb as well.

Oh contrare, it IS sooper DEE dooper awesome.

If Malwarebytes doesn't catch something, Combofix is the be-all-end-all (in my experience.)

Though, nothing beats a good manual file deletion/repair process, targeting known virus file save folders and registry keys, as well as system files. Then an antivirus/malware/spyware for cleaning the remains.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by derekgray

If Malwarebytes doesn't catch something, Combofix is the be-all-end-all (in my experience.)

Though, nothing beats a good manual file deletion/repair process, targeting known virus file save folders and registry keys, as well as system files. Then an antivirus/malware/spyware for cleaning the remains.

Er, how am I supposed to get Malwarebytes or that zip file if I don't have access to anything?
Quote by derekgray

Take it from someone who cleaned out hundreds of virus infected PC's over an 18 month period, it WILL NOT detect everything, we use it in conjunction with Dr Web's CureIt!, HiJackthis (for some cases), Superantispyware, spybot (not in that order) and then a final combofix rapeing and that would usually clear out the bad jobs. I'm not saying it probably wont do the trick for this job, but don't treat it like something sent from the gods.
I've heard some really bad things about using combofix on Win 7 PCs too so I probably wouldn't go trying that TS.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Er, how am I supposed to get Malwarebytes or that zip file if I don't have access to anything?

Er, how are you on here now then?
Quote by consecutive e
Take it from someone who cleaned out hundreds of virus infected PC's over an 18 month period, it WILL NOT detect everything, we use it in conjunction with Dr Web's CureIt!, HiJackthis (for some cases), Superantispyware, spybot (not in that order) and then a final combofix rapeing and that would usually clear out the bad jobs. I'm not saying it probably wont do the trick for this job, but don't treat it like something sent from the gods.
I've heard some really bad things about using combofix on Win 7 PCs too so I probably wouldn't go trying that TS.

Er, how are you on here now then?

Phone.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Phone.

Try booting into Safe Mode (keep pressing F8 as the computer is booting up for the menu) and see if you can get on the net that way. Alternativley you'll have to wait until you can use someone else's computer and bring the files over with a flash drive or something.
Quote by consecutive e
Try booting into Safe Mode (keep pressing F8 as the computer is booting up for the menu) and see if you can get on the net that way. Alternativley you'll have to wait until you can use someone else's computer and bring the files over with a flash drive or something.

Alread tried that, nothing doing.

Are you sure there isn't anything else I can do? :/