I have been playing guitar for a little over 4 years and I am in a band, at the start I was very creative in riffing and solos, but now I have hit a wall and don't know what to do.

How do I get my creativity back and how do I write creative solos and riffs?
learn another instrument, listen to new stuff, etc.

DirtEdit:
New stuff like The Wall, Thick as a Brick, stuff by The Doors, like Break on Through, etc.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Aug 3, 2010,
Listen to new music. That's it. Genres or artists you haven't listened to before. Go look up Jeff Healey.

EDIT: Might just be me, but it looks as though you're saying you're as good as you can be at the moment, which angers me. If not, please forgive me. Just go and look back at everything you've done and perfect it. Songs that you learnt a while ago wouldn't of been as good as they were when you learnt them as they could be now if you get what I mean? Also, learn acoustic fingerstyle. Something easy like Windy and Warm to start with.
Last edited by leg end at Aug 3, 2010,
Go lay down and rest and the head trauma should hopefully clear up. Make sure to keep clear of walls in the future when headbanging. Doctor's orders.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Take a break for a while, and listen to other types of music (No fükken Rap or Hip Hop).
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
Listen to music that is NOT guitar based.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Ah, quite a common rut, there. In situations like this, it's best to try out some new music. Get more into genres to which you weren't previously all that exposed. Learning some new scales and trying out experimental ideas can help tons. Sometimes, writing might not even be the answer. It might be just the opposite: Not writing. While it might sound a tad silly right now, taking a break from the whole writing dealie can help loads. All in all, ruts are just temporary bumps every musician hits in their improvement. Stick with it, man. Like any other musical endeavor, it's just a matter of time and dedication.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
Take a break for a while, and listen to other types of music (No fükken Rap or Hip Hop).

The beats used in hip hop are very good for soloing over.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jesus_Dean

Not sure if serious...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Jesus_Dean

why not?

take a break for a while and learn some new tricks and like everyone else has said.
POST RAWK
i've always found to try playing a completely new genre is really helpful. when the same thing happened to me the first time, i stopped trying to play rocky stuff and went to blues basics and so on and so forth. because of that, i've gotten into classical guitar, open tunings, eastern (indian) melodies, and most recently jazz. and then when you go back to the sound that your band has, you'll find yourself somewhat recharged and applying new things to your playing to keep it fresh. or at least thats how it works with me.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Fap more and spend all your time in the Pit.

This should help
Quote by xaviergray
Asking the Pit to play this is kinda like asking the guy who makes suggestive gay jokes if he wants to have sex with a man.
I've found that listening to and playing stuff from different artists in the same genre can help. It depends. At least for metal, just one subgenre like Thrash can be really restrictive. Or if you play something like blues there's lots of other sub-genres or blues eras involved in that music to.
Last edited by Leather Sleeves at Aug 3, 2010,
Learn to play some funky music, white boy.

I'm serious. I hit a wall in my bass playing so I started to learn funk. It improved my sight reading and timing immensely. For composing it'll introduce you to new melodies and rhythms.

Of course, it doesn't need to be funk. It can just be a new genre, it will be good for your playing regardless of what it is.*

There is an exception to everything. In this case the exception is children's songs.
Take a break. Seriously, spend loads of time listening to muisic and just forget about playing guitar. After a while the ideas will start flowing back into your head, then pick up the guitar again and use them. That's what I usually do when I go through a similar phase.
Quote by derekgray
Go lay down and rest and the head trauma should hopefully clear up. Make sure to keep clear of walls in the future when headbanging. Doctor's orders.

MOTHERFUCKER!
I was going to say something like this...

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
try playing in a different tuning, also if you have the money get a new guitar with different features such as a floyd rose, if you dont have one, or a sustainer.
my gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Line 6 spider 2: 212 combo 120 watt =\
Line 6 guitar port
EVH frankenstein painted Explorer
just do what nickelback does, change up the words, maybe change a note here and there and play in a different key possible hahahah
RAW POWER
Quote by Cejis33
just do what nickelback does, change up the words, maybe change a note here and there and play in a different key possible hahahah

(Invalid img)
Quote by guitardood666
I have been playing guitar for a little over 4 years and I am in a band, at the start I was very creative in riffing and solos, but now I have hit a wall and don't know what to do.

How do I get my creativity back and how do I write creative solos and riffs?

Play something different that you've ver tried before and that you think will challenge you.
I was in a similar situation as yourself. Main difference is that I've been playing for only 2. and I noticed that my playing became repetitive and bland. Enter Megadeth's Holy Wars. Easily the fastest song I've ever tried learning. This song is just so much fun, it's making my fingers sore ( a feeling I've been missing for over a year) and is introducing me to o many new techniques for soling and just sounding cool.
Have a good one,
Phoenix