Is it possible that a guitarist can simply be uncreative? Meaning that they are the type of person who is incapable of producing any kind of interesting stuff.

I have been trying to write but its all sounding cheesy and basically pretty boring. I'll attach the best piece i have come up with and you might be able to see how lame it is. I cant even come up with interesting progressions never mind good lead parts.

I wouldn't say that I'm a natural musician because I have had to work damn hard for every bit of ability I have. I'm willing to work hard at composing but it seems at the moment to be like headbutting my way through a brick wall.

Is it worth persevering with writing? If so how do you go about finding cool rhythms and interesting progressions? How do you become a more creative guitarist?

Thats a lot of questions but I hope you can help.
Attachments:
Idea I - IV - vi - V in G.gp5
Last edited by vodkanoodle at Aug 3, 2010,
I don't think it's that bad, actually. Of course there is more interesting stuff, but don't force too much "interesting stuff" in a song. It will sound unnatural.
Quote by LuckyLu
I don't think it's that bad, actually. Of course there is more interesting stuff, but don't force too much "interesting stuff" in a song. It will sound unnatural.

Yeah, trying too hard will make you sound like Between the Buried and Me.
Quote by vodkanoodle
Is it possible that a guitarist can simply be uncreative? Meaning that they are the type of person who is incapable of producing any kind of interesting stuff.

Yes.

I wouldn't say that I'm a natural musician because I have had to work damn hard for every bit of ability I have. I'm willing to work hard at composing but it seems at the moment to be like headbutting my way through a brick wall.

You sound just like everyone else. We've all had our hard spots, you just have to go through them.

Is it worth persevering with writing?

Depends... do you enjoy it?

If so how do you go about finding cool rhythms and interesting progressions? How do you become a more creative guitarist?

Playing and listening and learning. Jamming with others is great too. Actively seeking out new progressions and rhythms.

It comes with time. Maybe it's not your time to be that "revolutionary guitarist"... it will be someday if you go long enough.

As for your song.. it's not bad. It is very unoriginal, but it's not bad. Just keep writing and learning and anything you can.
For some people, the answer lies in these:

Theory
Classical Music
Music that is different to yours
Inspiration
Shock-creativity
Improvising/Improving others tracks

Like for example i heard this song today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNMdh6SeBA) and it's inspired me to write something like it. Sometimes it just comes to me and then i write it down in GP5 or other means. Other times it doesn't come, and to get around that you just force it - sometimes that isn't possible. So just jam to the track - hit a groove, then stop the track and keep playing - suddenly there it is

Guitar isn't unique, that's the problem sometimes - so it will be cheesy at times, and if it's mostly chord based well then, ya know.

Sometimes you can get hemmed in by theory (Yeh i am one of those that refuses in-depth theory in fear of it blinding creativity), so sometimes you gotta pull down that curtain from your eyes.

I like the beginning, it sounds familiar but original, the chords then powerchords are that cheesy thing you always tend to hear But nothings wrong in that - it's just everyone does it. Keep the beginning and run with it, try other things. Try composing outside of the guitar, like with the string ensemble, the classical instruments.

Compose with the sound - not with the notes, not the instruments - the sound. Because - after all - it is what you hear.

If you go on my profile and my MP3's listen to winter shadows and break the lies, it's a mix of instruments. The solo in break the lies is a frikken clarinet but you wouldn't think that

In winter shadows the 'moving' part throughout is a cello or something like that.

You're good at writing, i've wrote nothing like that - but we can attribute that to difference in style of music and style of composing

Always continue writing - you can't expect to get better without continuously writing. You've got to save even the 'crap' stuff and listen to it every so often and hear what you don't want to hear - forcing you to make the stuff you DO want to hear

Wider music knowledge will give you cool rhythms and interesting progressions - essentially, classical music is your friend - it's cheap and everywhere if you know how to listen!

Creative guitarist - just listen to lots of other guitarists - and other instruments, the most renowned guitarists are those that take the step outside the guitars natural boundaries.

Good luck!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I don't think it's bad. Could use some lead in their to spice it up a bit. The best thing to do is to keep composing. The more you compose, the more you'll want to try different things, and your creativity will evolve.
I dunno, man. Maybe you're lacking inspiration? I dunno. Usually I just play about with some notes, and then I might stumble across something that sounds nice to me. Afterwards I'll just build around that.
Listening to different music and learning from it? It brings more colour into your playing

Jamming with a drummer is cool, it can bring out a new playing style you didnt even know you had, seriously.

Never force anything, cool riffs usually come when you are relaxed and not trying too hard.
Quote by vodkanoodle
Is it worth persevering with writing?
Yes. We are inherently creative creatures. You have the creativity in you. It's just that some people find it easier to reach their creativity and some find it more difficult. Keep working on it and you'll get it eventually.

That said, it may be very difficult (it has been for me), and if it's not worth it to you, don't force it.

Quote by vodkanoodle
If so how do you go about finding cool rhythms and interesting progressions?
1) Experimenting with different harmonic motion and rhythmic patterns.
2) Listening to thus learning from and being inspired by other music.
3) Once you get good enough, you'll be able to just hear something in your head and write it out.

Quote by vodkanoodle
How do you become a more creative guitarist?
Like I said, it isn't the creativity you lack. You're just having a hard time reaching your creative self. Some tips to help that:

Improving your ear
Learning theory
Listening to/learning a wide range/variety of music
Proficiency at your instrument in general, being able to translate a musical idea in your head into a melody/progression/song (theory and listening to/learning other music helps this a lot)
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea