Now at a crucial place in the finishing. Applied Stain, but needing to finish now - on the stain do I put sand & sealer first and then varnish? or straight varnish?? Was thinking a matt varnish... The problem is when sanding the sealer/varnish it very quickly starts taking off the stain....

Also to get matt finish can you fine sand (eg 1200 grit) gloss varnish to make it matt?

Thanks dudes!
Atmarama
"Try to realize it's all within yourself, no one else can make you change. And to see you're really only very small, and life goes on within you and without you..."
What type of varnish are you using? Lacquer, Poly?

I use lacquer usually, and I spray directly over the stain. No sealer. I spray 2 tack coats, 1 thick coat, then let dry for 72hrs, wet sand with 400 grit then 2 more tack coats, 1 more thick coat, another 72 hrs. then wetsand and polish.

Results -
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 3, 2010,
Well I have duluxe interior wood varnish... What is laquer, poly? wetsand?
"Try to realize it's all within yourself, no one else can make you change. And to see you're really only very small, and life goes on within you and without you..."
There are different types of finishes
Some of these types are lacquer shellac polyurethane acrylic. Each has its pros and cons.
Last edited by lil PopTart kid at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by Atmarama
Well I have duluxe interior wood varnish... What is laquer, poly? wetsand?

Varnish is a term for a transparent protective finish. There are many different types of varnish. Lacquer, Polyurethane, Acrylic, Shellac to name a few.

Wetsanding is just that. Sanding with wet-sandpaper. Usually high grit to smooth out the finish. If you don't know what wetsanding is, I recommend you do some research before you attempt your own paint job.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by Matt420740
Varnish is a term for a transparent protective finish. There are many different types of varnish. Lacquer, Polyurethane, Acrylic, Shellac to name a few.

Wetsanding is just that. Sanding with wet-sandpaper. Usually high grit to smooth out the finish. If you don't know what wetsanding is, I recommend you do some research before you attempt your own paint job.

I have some double life timbre varnish. Doesn't say whether acrylic or what though... Is this the wrong stuff? If so what would you recommend and where would I acquire neccesary ingredients?
Quote by Atmarama
I have some double life timbre varnish. Doesn't say whether acrylic or what though... Is this the wrong stuff? If so what would you recommend and where would I acquire neccesary ingredients?

I tried to Google that stuff with no results, so I have no idea what you have. I would recommend going with lacquer. Its cheap, leaves a good finish, and its fairly easy to work with. Plus its available in gloss, satin, or Flat, so you can have that matte finish you want.
Quote by Matt420740
I tried to Google that stuff with no results, so I have no idea what you have. I would recommend going with lacquer. Its cheap, leaves a good finish, and its fairly easy to work with. Plus its available in gloss, satin, or Flat, so you can have that matte finish you want.

A normal hardware will have that? Is it a spray? The stuff I have is like good quality normal interior wood timbre varnish...