sorry if this is wrong forum but i thought this fitted here more than electric guitar.

mkay, I just re-strung my guitar earlier. Ive only done it a few times over the year and by far it is the worst string change I have done. One of the big problems is that, although I know the strings at the head should coil around the pegs at least 2-5 times, I cut the thick E string to short and ive only managed to get 3/4 of a coil around the peg.

Is this going to be an issue or something i should worry about? maybe even change the string again?Im kinda paranoid it will fly out and hit me in the eye or something.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?

no, It don't matter how much turns the strings make around the Pegs

On my electric guitar, the E strin (low one) makes just a half turn around it

Thats okay, i never had problems with it
ehh depends onn if your set with the tunin your on or not
Ima Dude Dressed Like Another Dude Playing As Another Dude
Hmmm well I suppose that means my thick E string will be fine. Cheers Lord. Might restring them next month though if i dont have new guitar by then

Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE
ehh depends onn if your set with the tunin your on or not

Can you elaborate? I got a bit confused by that.
Quote by GezzyDiversion

Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
don't worry... my strings only make a turn or 3/4 or 5/4 around it, it's pretty safe, I'd say
hands down.
I usually just do 1 turn or less on the low E. The thinner the strings the more turns I use generally. I might have 1 turn on the low-E, and 10 turns around the high-E.
Quote by lordoftheflakes

no, It don't matter how much turns the strings make around the Pegs

On my electric guitar, the E strin (low one) makes just a half turn around it

Thats okay, i never had problems with it

Fail...

You probably won't get attacked by your string, but this makes for a poor tone from the string. The more wraps, the more secure the string is, making for a better tone. If this is just for practice... then I would leave it be and make sure to replace them when you get the chance. If you plan on performing/recording, I would replace then ASAP.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
BTW, it's best to have 2-3 wraps.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Quote by Jasonbts

You probably won't get attacked by your string, but this makes for a poor tone from the string. The more wraps, the more secure the string is, making for a better tone. If this is just for practice... then I would leave it be and make sure to replace them when you get the chance. If you plan on performing/recording, I would replace then ASAP.

Makes sence, i think that was what i was told when told i should have inbetween 2-5 coils. Its only for practice at the moment. Im no where near "performing/recording" good yet. Like I said I might change it next month if i havent got a new guitar by then.

Thank you to all that have eased my mind so far!
Quote by GezzyDiversion

IMO the turns shouldn't affect the string tone considering the fact that the tension on the open strings at a given tuning frequency would remain same irrespective of the turns it took to wind it on the peg.
I personally haven't noticed any dramatic tone change with different number of wraps around the tuner. Although 2 wraps are good enough to keep the string tight & neat