Not sure if this is the 100% correct forum, but I shall ask.

I have a Mesa Single Rectifier with a Crate cab. The crate cab isn't huge.. and has wheels..but still seems like it would be impossible to fit in a first year dorm, especially with all the stuff I have to bring and fit in there.

So...should I sell and get a nice combo? Keep the head and sell the cab? Keep everything and try to squeeze it in...what did you guys do with your rigs in college? I plan to start a new band so I also want to have some solid equipment.

Edit:

I do have some Roland Cubes to practice with. It's not practice I'm concerned about it's...what do I do when I start up the band and we're ready to play shows or whatever?
Last edited by Supafly1824 at Aug 3, 2010,
I took a 400W 410 bass combo to uni with me in my first year, I got a bollocking a few times from the wardens for disturbing the neighbours but it wasn't a big deal
Haha yea should have put it in the gear section since it is mostly an amp question. I'm also debating whether or not to sell my Agile les paul...since it's my backup.

I'm not worried about practicing..I have a roland microcube for that. I'm worried in terms of band practice/shows.
Im just going to buy a MicroCube i think,

I woudnt get rid of your rig because youd still probably want to use it when you come back form college...
Quote by Icehawk217
Im just going to buy a MicroCube i think,

I woudnt get rid of your rig because youd still probably want to use it when you come back form college...

yeah, is there any way you could store it away from school? if you ended up in a band and / or found another amp you really liked you could sell it (or have somebody else sell it for you if you're away from home). but i would take your practice amp and then figure out what you'd need after you get there
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Check out a Line6 interface, like the TonePort UX1. They can be had for $150 new, and it allows you to play through your computer. It comes with PodFarm modeling software, which is one of the better ones out there. I plug straight into the interface, and practice through computer speakers. You could also plug into the interface, use PodFarm to model your sound, and record with a program like GarageBand. Versatile, much quieter than an amp, and allows you to use headphones, and later on you can use it with a mic to record through your real amp.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
leave it at home and take a spider/mg/vyper 15 watter to uni, then you have your nce gear for the hols ( majority of the year ) and an amp thats got feature and is small and quiet for uni.

also if you start a band having a gigable setup in reserve is ALWAYS a good thing!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Live off campus. That's what I do. I live in an apartment about four blocks from my campus
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by Tom 1.0
leave it at home and take a spider/mg/vyper 15 watter to uni, then you have your nce gear for the hols ( majority of the year ) and an amp thats got feature and is small and quiet for uni.

also if you start a band having a gigable setup in reserve is ALWAYS a good thing!

Spiders and MGs are horrible amps
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by LoudLove5150
Spiders and MGs are horrible amps

so what?

he can get one for less than $100 and when you go to uni you dont want nice gear because it will get trashed and at uni you wont spend 8 hours practicing, there is way too much fun stuff to do instead and when you do play you wont care about that amazing "cranked" tubes tone because you cant play loudly and if its just too keep sharp who cares?.

keep your agile and get a cheap amp and take them to uni, keep your good stuff safe at home.

thats your safest bet.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Where are you going to school?
and do alot of unis have no amp policies?
Quote by LuckyLu

It's not that bad. Of course there is more interesting stuff, but don't force too much "interesting stuff" in a song. It will sound unnatural.

Quote by Amaseng
Yeah, trying too hard will make you sound like Between the Buried and Me.

Keep your stack and and buy a pocket pod and to through headphones in the dorm.
Leave the nice stuff at home. Get a vypyr 15 and take the agile with you.
I got a ZT lunchbox, 200w, 7 pounds, pretty solid sound with the use of some pedals, especially for a 6.5 inch speaker. Its dorm worthy and jam worthy. I recommend it if you have a couple good pedals to use with it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab