Hi, I've changed my SSS pups in HSS. But the problem is, when i pick a string you hear just buzz. But when i touch a screw next to a pick up i get sound. Whats the prblem?

thanks in advance
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Aria Steel String acoustic
Quote by BernardSambora
Hi, I've changed my SSS pups in HSS. But the problem is, when i pick a string you hear just buzz. But when i touch a screw next to a pick up i get sound. Whats the prblem?

thanks in advance

The problem would be the wiring. Evidently you wired something wrong, or just overlooked something.

Since you didn't mention what type of guitar it is I am going to give you a link to a HSS diagram for a strat - http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSS5L1204

Look at that and see if you see any mistakes you might have made.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 3, 2010,
Hi, tnx for the scheme Matt its just what i needed but 1 question. My humbucker's got 4 wires: red and white (which must be taped together, i know), green (hot lead) and a black one. But where's the bare then?
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Quote by BernardSambora
Hi, tnx for the scheme Matt its just what i needed but 1 question. My humbucker's got 4 wires: red and white (which must be taped together, i know), green (hot lead) and a black one. But where's the bare then?

The bare wire is a ground. Are you sure you don't have one?
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by BernardSambora
yes i am sure

Make sure no one cut it back so far its hiding in the shrink wrap. If its not there, then I'm lost. Never seen a 4 conductor without a bare wire. Maybe you should try the wiring thread, and see if you can get in touch with Invader Jim.
Allright i shall try, thnx for your help
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
if you look at the cross section of the hookup wire, theres the red, white, green and black wires all in the middle, the bare wire surrounding them, then the rubber insulation

maybe you stripped off the bare part?

edit: beaten to it, but...yeah, the wiring thread is where all of this should be
O one question, does that mean that i see 5 wires then? red, white, black, green, and bare?
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Quote by BernardSambora
O one question, does that mean that i see 5 wires then? red, white, black, green, and bare?

Only you can tell us what you see. Do you have 4 wires and a bare, or just 4 wires? You should have 4 and a bare.
then its strange i've got just 4 wires.
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Quote by BernardSambora
then its strange i've got just 4 wires.

Did you buy the pup new somewhere, or is it an old used one you picked up? If its new I would call the manufacturer and see what the deal is, if its used, try and get in touch with Jim and see if he knows whats up.

Other than that my only advice is to get yourself a new pickup. Used Humbuckers can be had cheap on E-bay.
theres more people than Jim on here who can figure wiring stuff out (though Jim's an awesomely knowledgeable guy..i'm just saying there's alot of helpful people on this forum who deserve recognition, too..)

TS, what brand is your pickup?
and whether you have a bare wire or not, that isn't going to cause the symptoms you're describing. we need to know how you wired it, and you need to go to the wiring thread to sort it out
Hi, i found a loose wire on the ground, brown and black, wrapped in one? or is bare no color. @James; the brand of my pup is "Boston".
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Currently, Jim is having internet troubles.

what brand pickup is it?

And it doesn't need a bare wire, all that is that it is connected to the plate the pickup sits on, it will just help stop some buzz. It is possible, although very unlikely, that it was just soldered, at the pickup, to one of the other wires.

EDIT:

Okay, beaten to it. Never heard of Boston pickups, are you sure that you have their color coding correct?

And that wire did not come from the pickup, it may have come from the bridge though, on my Epiphone the bridge wire fell out. Without it, there will be lots of buzz.

Finally, make sure the hot signal, either coming from the middle lug of your volume pot, or from your selector switch is going to the tip of your jack, and that the sleeve is grounded.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Aug 3, 2010,