Page 1 of 4
Inspired by recent events, including Quran burning and atheist de-baptizing via hair dryers.

Do we always need to treat other beliefs with respect? Is it ever right to blatantly disrespect them? Is it wrong to mock what others hold sacred?

What does it even mean to respect or disrespect, in your opinion?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Aug 3, 2010,
This will not end well.

Edit: I'm with this guy v
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Last edited by ricanboyguitar at Aug 3, 2010,
To say it's wrong to mock other people's beliefs is ****ing stupid.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Humans naturally want to feel superior, to feel like they are right in their beliefs and traditions and if achieving this inner sense of righteousness requires tearing down the beliefs of others then we're more than willing to do so.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Freedom of speech, wot?

I don't have a go at religion unless someone's trying to force it on me, or if someone uses it to make bad decisions that affect other people.
Everyone knows its the best kind of respect...disrespect.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
I wish I could say I never judge people on their beliefs, but if you're a nazi, I'm just not going to talk to you
My name is Danny. Call me that.
I respect things that deserve it. I don't think religious beliefs are special and automatically deserve respect.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
You should always respect other's beliefs.

If you feel the need to disagree do it in a mature and considerate manner. Don't just be "lulz ur g0d suxz!"

And NEVER force your opinion onto others.
A belief does not deserve respect purely because someone holds it. Plenty of beliefs are deserving of ridicule/damnation.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Beliefs do not need to be respected, but we must respect others rights to hold beliefs different to our own, even if they are downright stupid.

Disrespecting beliefs is necessary at times, but a lot of pricks do it to be antagonistic and to serve no other purpose.
Quote by BenRaah
I will respect the beliefs of others, if they respect my right to believe differently.
I would have worded it a bit differently, but pretty much that.

EDIT:

Quote by RU Experienced?
Beliefs do not need to be respected, but we must respect others rights to hold beliefs different to our own
that ^

Quote by Zolom
Everyone knows its the best kind of respect...disrespect.
lolnah
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by JacobTheMe
You should always respect other's beliefs.

If you feel the need to disagree do it in a mature and considerate manner. Don't just be "lulz ur g0d suxz!"

And NEVER force your opinion onto others.

+1231541561
Also,
Quote by RU Experienced?
Beliefs do not need to be respected, but we must respect others rights to hold beliefs different to our own, even if they are downright stupid.

Disrespecting beliefs is necessary at times, but a lot of pricks do it to be antagonistic and to serve no other purpose.

This
Last edited by TheZephyrSon at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by TomusAM
If there was a Bible burning America would shit itself.

So true.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
I respect people. I respect their right to form their own opinions and beliefs. I think these rights are some of the most important we have.

Now, if people make their beliefs public, their subject to as much scrutiny as anything else. I do not care if these beliefs are religious or whatever. Those are primarily a way to interpret the world around us (and often advice on how to deal with it), if I'm not mistaken. Regardless: if your beliefs show obvious flaws, and you hold them under my nose, I will point them out.

Oh, so you believe the world is the dream of a giant space banana? Well, your beliefs are shit, I don't care if you built a temple for space bananas already.

EDIT: I might add: Discuss beliefs only with people who are willing to do so. Or if they're kinda asking for it.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 3, 2010,
As long as people keep their beliefs private I do not have a problem with them and shall respect them. As soon as they start trying to get me to follow their beliefs I shall politely ask that they treat my beliefs with the same respect that I treat theirs. From there we can work on agreement that we can both live with.

That's how it tends to go in Canada, people are pretty religious here but we keep beliefs personal for the most part.
Everyone's entitled to voice their opinion and what not, I guess. Just as long as it isn't taking the piss. Seems to me though that religion does more harm than good. Meh, I dunno.
I don't care whether you're Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Bhuddist, Atheist or anything else, if you're not going to respect my religion, then please don't be surprised if I either get vulgar or violent. I respect yours, so please do me the same courtesy. That said, I do agree with Douglas Adams that nothing is sacred enough that it can't be funny.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
I don't care whether you're Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Bhuddist, Atheist or anything else, if you're not going to respect my religion, then please don't be surprised if I either get vulgar or violent. I respect yours, so please do me the same courtesy. That said, I do agree with Douglas Adams that nothing is sacred enough that it can't be funny.

That certainly is not called for.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Well violence isn't. I get vulgar when discussing the simplest of things, you cunt.

Quote by Thrashtastic15

If someone is going to continually berate me because I disagree with them ideologically and don't stop despite repeated requests to do so, I'm going to shove them and ask them to fuck off. Shoving them technically counts as physical violence legally, and "Fuck off" is vulgar. I'm not going to beat the crap out of them and I'm not going to go on a tirade that could make Samuel L. Jackson blush, but I am going to get rude, I won't deny that.

Quote by asator
Well violence isn't. I get vulgar when discussing the simplest of things, you cunt.

Yes but you're Scottish, it's to be expected.
Quote by Todd Hart
Yes but you're Scottish, it's to be expected.

Fuck you.
Everything is fair game - rational thinking is put through scrutiny and criticism all the time - that's basically the scientific method. To say that religion and faith is "off limits" just because it's sacred or holy is a cop out which equates to "there is no rational thinking or logic in faith."

So if you're going to believe in things that are illogical, nonsensical, and infringe on others' rights who don't believe in your faith (ie - gays and christianity) then I'm calling you out.
Last edited by technicolour at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by asator
Fuck you.

Hook, line and sinker.
Quote by fail
Inspired by recent events, including Quran burning and atheist de-baptizing via hair dryers.

Do we always need to treat other beliefs with respect? Is it ever right to blatantly disrespect them? Is it wrong to mock what others hold sacred?

What does it even mean to respect or disrespect, in your opinion?

It's always good to respectfully debate religion. People learn so much about each other that way, but blatent disrespect such as saying 'God's a wanker!' serves no useful purpose whatsoever.
Quote by necrosis1193
If someone is going to continually berate me because I disagree with them ideologically and don't stop despite repeated requests to do so, I'm going to shove them and ask them to fuck off. Shoving them technically counts as physical violence legally, and "Fuck off" is vulgar. I'm not going to beat the crap out of them and I'm not going to go on a tirade that could make Samuel L. Jackson blush, but I am going to get rude, I won't deny that.

Well, that's fine. If they're pushy, they deserve that. It's just that if you actually engage in a discussion about beliefs you have to be prepared for someone to tell you you're all wrong and not throw a shit fit.
Quote by BenRaah
I will respect the beliefs of others, if they respect my right to believe differently.

Pretty much this.
If someone says because I don't believe in a higher power that I should "get help" that's completely unacceptable. Very ironic considering they are the people who rave from the sides of the street in bellowing voices throwing their books at people.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
Quote by SlackerBabbath
It's always good to respectfully debate religion. People learn so much about each other that way, but blatent disrespect such as saying 'God's a wanker!' serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

What if one makes a compelling argument to support their claim of God's wankerism drawing from primary source documents?
Quote by necrosis1193

Violence is uncalled for in that situation. Telling them to fuck off, sure. Violence? Hope you get clocked back and you learn your damn lesson.
Edit: ^Shoving =/= punching. Did you read my post beyond "tell them to fuck off"? When I say physical violence, I mean the kind that people generally disregard because it's not painful and not really notable. Pushing someone three or four inches back, grabbing a raised arm and lowering it to the table, not punching them in the face.

Quote by TheQuailman
Well, that's fine. If they're pushy, they deserve that. It's just that if you actually engage in a discussion about beliefs you have to be prepared for someone to tell you you're all wrong and not throw a shit fit.

Aye, I can understand that. The TS was asking whether or not we feel beliefs should be respected though, not respected in debate, so I was just commenting on how I'd act if someone started preaching evangelically at me just because one way or another a conversation showed the fact that I don't share their beliefs. Maybe I misinterpreted it though, I dunno.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by RU Experienced?
What if one makes a compelling argument to support their claim of God's wankerism drawing from primary source documents?

If it was done intelligently, then I would consider that to be a perfectly respectable point of debate.

But it can always be argued against. For instance, one could argue that there are no truly primary source documents that support the claim of God's wankerism. Just primary source documents that give the writer's opinions of God and his apparent actions, which may or may not be true.
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit: ^Shoving =/= punching. Did you read my post beyond "tell them to fuck off"? When I say physical violence, I mean the kind that people generally disregard because it's not painful and not really notable. Pushing someone three or four inches back, grabbing a raised arm and lowering it to the table, not punching them in the face.

You don't go around pushing people, that's initiating violence and escalating the situation bro. I don't know where the hell you live, but if you push me back that's certainly escalating the situation. Tell them to fuck off and if they continue walk away, that's appropriate solutions for the situation. What you are proposing isn't.

Also, I feel like I need to sort of clarify my stance. I have no problem with organized religion being debated, but again it needs to be done tastefully with respect. No burning bibles or any of that shit. Personal faith and beliefs are off limits like I said before.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Christian doctrine is that I will deservedly go to hell for eternity. I don't think that's called for either.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 4