Page 1 of 3
Yea i was wondering if i were to get sighned by any company which one whould i want? well the most important thing i want is the ability to make music how i like it.. so i was wondering if there is any major company (or minor idc as long as i dont have to sell out and they promote my music, but major perferably) that wouldnt try to make me a sell out
Can somebody please explain what "selling out" is?

People abuse the term like a ginger, but they often seem to mistake it for "changing the sound so that you aren't releasing the same album every year".
Any one that'll sign you, that's which one you sign with.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
The record company doesn't make you sell-out. You sell-out on your own.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by JacobTheMe

People abuse the term like a ginger, but they often seem to mistake it for "changing the sound so that you aren't releasing the same album every year".

This is basically it.

You either change your sound, in which case you've sold out, or you keep it the same, in which case you've gone stagnant and unimaginative.

...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Anyone seeking a major label probably isn't in a position to make such demands. Major labels don't get to be major labels without making guiding decisions regarding everything, including artistic direction.
Quote by JacobTheMe

That you stop playing what you want to play for more money, You know playing Technical death metal isnt gonna get you groupies or money but playeing Heavy metal or hard rock has a bigger chance of it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
As far as I know, Sony gives total freedom about the music. That's what I read from an interview with Ska-P who are signed to Sony.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by JacobTheMe

Selling out is essentially doing something you don't like to make money. For example: Most people here hate Justin Bieber's music, if they were offered a chance to play with him and said yes they would be selling out.
Quote by Todd Hart
This is basically it.

You either change your sound, in which case you've sold out, or you keep it the same, in which case you've gone stagnant and unimaginative.

I thought selling out was like advertising car insurance or butter. Not pointing any fingers here.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
That you stop playing what you want to play for more money, You know playing Technical death metal isnt gonna get you groupies or money but playeing Heavy metal or hard rock has a bigger chance of it.

I would sell out in a heartbeat for money and groupies.
you can change your sound without selling out. it'd get a little boring if a band released 3 or 4 albums that all sounded the same. variation is good.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by Dodeka
Anyone seeking a major label probably isn't in a position to make such demands. Major labels don't get to be major labels without making guiding decisions regarding everything, including artistic direction.

This.

But also TS I am afraid it is very unlikely you will ever get anywhere with any non-independant labels, much less have a choice of labels.
Independant and local labels really are the way to go, you can find ones suited to most any genre that will not only get your music to the people who will actually like it, but also provide you with a community of musicians and bands similarly minded.
I hate the term "selling out". Music etlists all over UG use this term too often. There's nothing wrong with making a single or two that's user friendly. For christ sakes it will one 1. Increase your fan base and 2. Make you more money because you have to make a living somehow.

Providing the user friendly tune isn't a complete genre flip, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Cheeselord
Selling out is essentially doing something you don't like to make money. For example: Most people here hate Justin Bieber's music, if they were offered a chance to play with him and said yes they would be selling out.

Why? Thats so stupid.

If you have an opportunity, then you should take it. Who cares if it isn't "BR00tals"? It could be great fun and a great experience.

And what if you want to do something different? Lets look at Ryan Adams for instance, he started as a country singer, he just released a Judas Priest styled speed metal album. Is that selling out?

People here claim to love music. If you love music so much then why are you all afraid to branch out a bit?
Quote by Cheeselord

Screw the reputation, with that kind of money I could afford to not give a shit what the musos think.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ITT people who know **** all about how the music business works.

Every major label wants to make money, they will try to make your band as commercial as possible regardless of if you like it or not. They will also try to suck as much of the money you make as musicians away from you. As is seen in the link below

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiitifPJkow
Quote by Zoot Allures

Every major label wants to make money, they will try to make your band as commercial as possible regardless of if you like it or not. They will also try to suck as much of the money you make as musicians away from you. As is seen in the link below

So what label are you on?
Quote by JacobTheMe

Radiohead is an example of a band that has changed their sound from album to album, but they haven't sold out, so that definition doesn't work. Selling out would be purposely changing your sound so that it fits something more mainstream, simply for wanting to make more money. Like Muse.
^^ disney.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
i agree with changing your sound so your not releasing the same stuff every album *achoo nickelback, but changing your sound because its *hip* or whatever i think your not a true musician, music comes from the heart and soul not from trying to make a couple extra bucks
Five of the top seven biggest-selling bands of all time(Beatles helped pioneer the genre with their later releases, Queen is one of the monoliths of the genre's heyday, Led Zeppelin went from pepped-up blues-rock and proto-metal to avant garde ten-minute songs with mythical lyrics and extended instrumental sections, and Michael Jackson, probably the hardest sell of the five, had funk, soul, R&B, hard rock, and pop all on Thriller alone) were progressive in one way or another.

Most bands that're actually worthwhile change overtime, the concept that when you decide to use a P-90 instead of a telecaster single-coil and your bassist switches to a Ric, your sound is different and you're suddenly sellouts is ridiculous. That said, there are some acts that sell their souls for label support. Just be smart in how you go about it, get someone in the band versed in legal matters or a good manager, and you'll be fine.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If my band were approached with the oppurtunity to get a majpr label deal we'd hop on it unless it was Disney.

In my opinion most record companies won't try to influence your sound too much. They liked how you sounded and that's why they wanted to endorse you. The producer they hire for you may have some ideas...but atleast listen to the ideas. if it's something you won't bend on just tell him that. If it sound like a hald decent idea...try it out...these guys are paid to study music and know a thing or two. And breakout albums definatly don't have to be mainstrema even from major labels. Look at AX7.

They're endorsed by Universal (an international company) and thier breakout album was just straight up, in your face, metal.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by JacobTheMe
So what label are you on?

I'm not, i'm just repeating the advice that i've heard from people who'll know what they're talking about. I trust Albinis word far more than people who have a rose tinted vision of the music industry.
Quote by Zoot Allures

Very true. It's a business. At the end of the day, they need to bring in that almighty dollar.

TC, if I were you, I'd worry about "selling out" when I actually have the opportunity to sell out.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Why? Thats so stupid.

If you have an opportunity, then you should take it. Who cares if it isn't "BR00tals"? It could be great fun and a great experience.

And what if you want to do something different? Lets look at Ryan Adams for instance, he started as a country singer, he just released a Judas Priest styled speed metal album. Is that selling out?

People here claim to love music. If you love music so much then why are you all afraid to branch out a bit?

There is more of this anti-elitism elitism popping up recently and it's slightly annoying.

There are shit loads of people in the pit that are branching out, almost everyone proudly announces that they do something different.

Asking people why they don't do more music is exactly like asking people why they don't play teh brootals. Leave everyone to it tbh. :shrug.

OT: Selling out means getting better at making the sounds you want to. More people like it, then people cry because they're not cool anymore.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Cheeselord
Selling out is essentially doing something you don't like to make money.

Weird. That sounds like what 99% of people who have jobs do on a daily basis.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Ther
OT: Selling out means getting better at making the sounds you want to. More people like it, then people cry because they're not cool anymore.

No, selling out is changing your sound to suit the record company instead of following your own musical path in order to become more commercial
Quote by Cheeselord

Eddie van Halen did the guitar for Beat It. Did he sell out?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Zoot Allures
No, selling out is changing your sound to suit the record company instead of following your own musical path in order to become more commercial

Alright, fair enough.

I feel selling out is often mislabeled.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
am i the only one who'd sell out for money..

lets face it... the music business it all about teh Benjamins...

while you're small time and local, do what you like... when a major says 'play these gay pop tunes and we'll give you x million dollars'

who honestly would go... 'um...... no'

if you say you would i call BS.
i'm Ginger its fun
Spelling & Grammar Records
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by JacobTheMe

JacobTheMe, I would just like to say that I dont think there is any post that you have made that I dont agree with. You are probably the smartest UGer around.

Anyways, TS, I think you need to re-think what you mean by sell-out.
I'm ignoring the 'selling out' bit, because that doesn't really apply to me.

But if I got signed, I'd want Capitol, RCA, or Universal.
Quote by Sparky-MMA
am i the only one who'd sell out for money..

lets face it... the music business it all about teh Benjamins...

while you're small time and local, do what you like... when a major says 'play these gay pop tunes and we'll give you x million dollars'

who honestly would go... 'um...... no'

if you say you would i call BS.

I doubt any of the big record labels take small time local bands, I think they look for bands with a bit of experience and that they see potential in them to making some more main-stream music.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Anyhow, if it was true what he said in his article, then rich musicians wouldn't exist, therefore I find it very hard to believe.

The rich ones are the exceptions to the general rule, the situations he described are most people's experience of the music industry.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hang on guys, I found this on TS's profile.

"Birthday : February 24, 1996"

There is no way in hell that a 14 year old is going to get to choose a major label. Don't worry about "selling out" only you actually get the chance.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Hang on guys, I found this on TS's profile.

"Birthday : February 24, 1996"

There is no way in hell that a 14 year old is going to get to choose a major label. Don't worry about "selling out" only you actually get the chance.

Justin Bieber?
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Page 1 of 3