Can you guys recommend me some metal bands that don't growl into the mic? Every time i listen to a new band that I haven't heard, I start to get into the song then they growl and it completely ruins the song. I know most everyone that listens to metal loves/likes/doesn't mind growling, but it sounds ridiculous to me. I prefer classic metal like Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, stuff like that. I'm tired of listening to the same stuff so I want some new bands that actually can sing. I love the fast, heavy guitars and everything about metal except for all the new metal bands just growling into the mic, it just sounds disgusting. So anyone know of any?
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Dead Congregation

By the way use the recommendation thread at the top of the page - you can ask this question there.

also:

Quote by redick4ulous
fl except for all the new metal bands just growling into the mic,

0_o
Bands have been growling since the 80s.
Last edited by technicolour at Aug 3, 2010,
Sorry man, there aren't any
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
i have the same problem, i like metal, but all the growling and screaming shit needs to stop. It was acceptable when it was only a couple times per album for dramatic effect, but its so damn overused and sounds horrid IMO
Ya'll are a bunch of pussies
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by kurtebirdi
i have the same problem, i like metal, but all the growling and screaming shit needs to stop. It was acceptable when it was only a couple times per album for dramatic effect, but its so damn overused and sounds horrid IMO

No it doesn't. Bands have been screaming and growling before you were born. Besides, I could make the same argument that clean vocals are over used in metal - it was acceptable when bands like Cormorant did it a couple times per album, for dramatic effect, but it's so damned overused and sounds horrid - with bands like metallica.
try instrumental metal? Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders, Periphery has some growling vocals but some clean (and also a bunch of recordings without any vocals) But stuff like Shadows falls isnt too bad growling wise, Deftones. Idk what your tolerance is for growls but stuff like White Zombie (Rob Zombie), Mastodon, and Baroness all have some decent vocals.
Dream Theater
Andromeda
Nevermore
Vanden Plas
Spheric Universe Experience
Pathosray
Scale the Summit (No vocals)
Riverside
Tool
Ayreon
Mastodon

And as someone who also isnt a growling fan, the following bands I tolerate and actually can listen to as they also use clean vocals, usually more often too. Check em out.

Periphery
TesseracT
Isis
Opeth
Between the Buried and Me
Quote by technicolour
No it doesn't. Bands have been screaming and growling before you were born. Besides, I could make the same argument that clean vocals are over used in metal - it was acceptable when bands like Cormorant did it a couple times per album, for dramatic effect, but it's so damned overused and sounds horrid - with bands like metallica.

this
I understand where you come from. I'm not a big fan of growls, but I have to admit that if the music is interesting enough I can normally just focus on that and tune out the dude pretending to sound like he's the cookie monster.

If you like Sabbath then I would suggest checking out the doom metal genre, not alot of these bands will growl and the genre generally focuses on the big ass riffs like what Sabbath did with their earlier stuff.

Some doom bands to check out: Down, Candlemass, Orange Goblin, Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General, and The Sword

Another genre would be thrash, they aren't known for growling typically
Judas Priest, King Diamond(his voice sails above most others, it's kinda hilarious but awesome), Queensrÿche(not that heavy, but the singer is good), some Ynwgie Malmsteen that's not just instrumentals has good singing(Jeff Scott Soto), you may like Dream Theater, maybe The Sword as well, they're pretty Sabbathy.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Listen to Seal.

That is all.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link