I'm about ready to splurge a bit and get myself a nice guitar with my first full-time paycheck and I'm really on the fence about what to get. I was wondering if I could get a few recommendations in the $1200ish range.

Criteria:
- "Traditional" body styles (Strat/Superstrat, LP, Tele)
- Preferably string through or hardtail but I will consider a quality trem
- Preferably NOT an Ibanez (I already have two, would like some variety haha)
- H, HH, or HSH pickups, can be actives or passives
- 22 or 24 frets
- Will be used mostly for heavier styles (drop tuned rhythm/riffage)

Gonna be heading over to the Manhattan Sam Ash (pretty big selection) in a little while so I just need some ideas.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Les Paul Studio's a good choice. I used to have one and I liked it a lot but I got a Classic and had no need for the studio anymore. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the American Strat.
All I can recommend for you is to try some ESPs, Schecters, and Jacksons and see if there's one that particularly catches your eyes and ears. All of those are what I would call "high value" guitars, along with Ibanez (possibly the highest overall) which you said you didn't want another of. By that I mean that, in my opinion (and several others I've talked to) you really get the most for your money in terms of features, quality, and longevity. Other, far more expensive, guitars (Fender, Gibson I'm looking at you) give one or two of those 3 criteria in higher amount, but generally cost more for what you get - not that there is anything wrong with them.

All 3 of those manufacturers should have some relatively traditional body styles as well as some stranger ones, and are all a decent bit different from one another in feel, so you should be able to find something there suitable for your tastes.

I would research each manufacturer a bit online to see what models they have in what price ranges so you can read between the lines at the store (as in you may miss the one you really want due to it not being on the shelf, and not even know you missed trying it).
Last edited by AJDrac at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by Mslaubinger18
Les Paul Studio's a good choice. I used to have one and I liked it a lot but I got a Classic and had no need for the studio anymore. Otherwise, I'd probably go with the American Strat.

Well today's they've got different bodies (gibson LP's) which makes them sound different. Well, try ESP LTD-1000 series? or Jacksons..Or even Deans,don't hate them :P
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Look at Schecter, and ESP. My Schecter C-1 XXX has become my main axe, and my favorite guitar.
Stratocaster????

Why does everyone want stratocaster specs these days but doesn't want a stratocaster?
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Stratocaster????

Why does everyone want stratocaster specs these days but doesn't want a stratocaster?

Because he wanted something heavier. Obviously a Strat can do metal with the proper accessories, but I find that even with a humbucker in the bridge they get muddy down low (just the Fender pickups I suppose).
Quote by AJDrac
Because he wanted something heavier. Obviously a Strat can do metal with the proper accessories, but I find that even with a humbucker in the bridge they get muddy down low (just the Fender pickups I suppose).

Fender makes Strats with non-Fender pickups

I agree with everything else said so far in this thread. Gibson and Fender make great guitars, but you will shell out more just for the name. Ibanez, Schecter, etc. will cost you less for good quality guitars with cool features. Try out as many guitars as you can get your hands on. With that budget, you should be able to do quite well
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by DrNick

Criteria:

- 22 or 24 frets
= 22

Come join the grown ups.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Fender makes Strats with non-Fender pickups

I agree with everything else said so far in this thread. Gibson and Fender make great guitars, but you will shell out more just for the name. Ibanez, Schecter, etc. will cost you less for good quality guitars with cool features. Try out as many guitars as you can get your hands on. With that budget, you should be able to do quite well

I dunno you shell out quite a bit for the name with schecter and ibanez too these days. Ibanez are best value used though. In the UK a hellraiser costs around the same price as a fender usa strat.

Schecter where decent guitars a few years ago but recently they've went downhill i've hated the ones i've played. Felt like toys compared to my c1 elite from the mid 2000s. There necks feel horrible these days.
Quote by DrNick
I'm about ready to splurge a bit and get myself a nice guitar with my first full-time paycheck and I'm really on the fence about what to get. I was wondering if I could get a few recommendations in the $1200ish range.

Criteria:
- 22 or 24 frets

Gonna be heading over to the Manhattan Sam Ash (pretty big selection) in a little while so I just need some ideas.

Are you the same Dr Nick from The Open Jam?
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by Rocknawe
Is that a Jim Root sig? Pretty incomprehensible signature he has =p

yeah

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Dude, go for a PRS Torero. true PRS Quality with EMG'S and a Quality Floyd... its a prs, its amazing and its like 900 bucks if i remember correctly
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
Dude, go for a PRS Torero. true PRS Quality with EMG'S and a Quality Floyd... its a prs, its amazing and its like 900 bucks if i remember correctly

A PRS for $900?! Maybe used. MSRP on the PRS SE Torero is $1599

Beautiful guitar nonetheless. PRS in general makes top notch guitars.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
If I had the money, I would probaly be looking toward an american strat or a Jackson RR. Both great, and have always wanted a RR guitar.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
ESP LTD EC-1000 or Mh-1000
or if u can spend like $200 more u can get the real deal, an ESP Eclipse or a Horizon
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
it was an SE Torero, my bad
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Well right now, surprisingly, it's down to two guitars that seem to both be well within my budget.

It's down to:

Jackson Dinky DK2T - SD JB/59, string-through/TOM, $600
ESP M-II - EMG 81s, OFR, $800

Kinda leaning more towards the ESP just because I know that those guitars are GREAT quality and nice to play, but I've heard that the Jackson is a sweet guitar as well. Decisions decisions...
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
try them both,

they are both lovely guitars but the neck and bridgess are both hugely different.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by DrNick
Well right now, surprisingly, it's down to two guitars that seem to both be well within my budget.

It's down to:

Kinda leaning more towards the ESP just because I know that those guitars are GREAT quality and nice to play, but I've heard that the Jackson is a sweet guitar as well. Decisions decisions...

MIJ esps will be higher quality than MIJ jacksons.
Quote by DrNick

It's down to:

That seems really cheap for a MIJ ESP, is it used?
Ibanez Prestiges
Ibanez RG550/770
ESP Horizons
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Jackson Soloists
Edwards CY-165CTM (or something like that)
prs torero, no doubt. or a prs se custom 24, and a set of pickups
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Last edited by primusclaypool1 at Aug 5, 2010,

You could find one for around $1200, without the piezo though. Different colour too
if you want to splurge and get something nice for yourself...

find a used prs ce22 or 24. i almost got a custom 22 for $1300 a few months back.

i have friends at sam ash 48th street if you don't already. i can help there if needed...

this guitar was $1300...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by littlephil

You could find one for around $1200, without the piezo though. Different colour too

jesus chroist, always pushing your JPs!
Don't ever get a PRS SE. If you want a PRS, wait a while longer and save up the few extra hunded dollars for AT LEAST a CE 22/24, if not waiting for higher end. Used can be super cheap too. Don't waste your time with ESP (unless spending $1600 or more) or schecter at all. They may seem nice at first, but after a while they will break or you will lose interest in their sound. Plus a huge benefit of a PRS is that they actually hold their resale value. Everything else will drop to 60% of the price you paid as soon as you walk out of the store.
Guitars
-PRS CE24
Amps
-Bogner Uberschall
-Bogner 4x12
FX
-Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
-Keeley Modded Blues Driver
-Line 6 DL-4 Delay
www.redletterdrive.com