My fender hot rod deluxe needs new tubes, I called a local guy and he said that its gonna cost me about $180 (labor and cost of tubes). Is there any way I can do this on my own? I have no experience with tubes. Does it even need to be done? If not, what does it do?
You can get a multimeter and do it yourself. Otherwise it's a waste paying a tech to do it. Unless the tubes are red plating you don't need to bias the amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
if youre replacing them with the same type of tubes, then no.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
If your amp is cathode bias, you can't bias it even if you wanted to. I'm not sure whether the HRD comes with adjustable bias or not, but if you replace your tubes with the same type (i.e. 6L6 -> 6L6) you should be fine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If your amp is cathode bias, you can't bias it even if you wanted to. I'm not sure whether the HRD comes with adjustable bias or not, but if you replace your tubes with the same type (i.e. 6L6 -> 6L6) you should be fine.

Ok well if I have http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Gold-Series-GT6L6GE-Matched-Power-Tubes?sku=219163

So if i get 2 http://thetubestore.com/tungsol6l6gc.html I don't have to get it rebiased? What about the preamp tubes?
Preamp tubes don't need to be biased unless you switch from like a 12AX7 to a 12AU7 or the like. They'll still work though, just not sound ideal.

For the power amp tubes, you don't have to bias if you get those. If you did want to, you could pick up a cheap multimeter and see the Tube Depot tutorial. It's very easy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs