hey everbody, I'm just about finished my guitar project (just waiting for the bridge to arrive) and it looks friggen groovy, if I do say so myself, but unfortunately the inlays are just plain ol pearl dots :|
I really wanna change em, but I don't know how and I don't wanna ruin the guitar after all the work I put into her. then I heard bout vinyl inlay stickers and though "thats my solution!" then another voice in my head said "but they're stickers... on the fretboard... where you put your fingers..."
so my question is, do they last? obviously not forever but would it be worth the 8-15$?
thanks!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
youtube: Ryanmetalmatthew. one of his guitars has vinyl inlays on it and he says that they are very durable.
HOW THE F**K DID I DO THAT?!?!?!?!? Tries Again F**K!
my bestfriend picked up a pack of vinyl inlays a few months ago and they haven't even shown any wear. you have to look closely at the fretboard to actually notice that they're stickers. im not sure where he bought them though
there was an ebay seller that had some pretty good stuff.

remember, on a start or other guitar that has low frets they may get rubbed through. with jumbo frets you should never even touch the fretboard.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Aug 4, 2010,
I've had them on my 7 for a year now and they're still going strong. The plastic coating does wear off after a while but it really doesn't affect anything at all. They've fooled everyone who has looked at it for the first time too
ok sweet, I think I'm sold then
do you guys have any website suggestions? I've been googling and stuff but I haven't found a certain site that looks better than another
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
then another voice in my head said "but they're stickers... on the fretboard... where you put your fingers..."
I'd listen to that voice. It's not only where you put your fingers, but your strings are gonna be pressed against them repeatedly. Do you bend? Even more wear and tear.

As long as your expectations are modest, it might be worth it for you. That kind of money won't buy much of anything but maybe lunch for you and your girlfriend. So no big deal if you have to tear them back off the board in a couple of months.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yeah I meant to say all that too but I'm doing this on an iPod touch so it's kinda hard ahaha. but yeah I do a lot of bending, I play a lot of blues... and metal ahaha I'm on my way to creating some sort of blues/metal hybrid. think metal riffing but with bluesy soloing and that kinda stuff
ANYWAYS: I saw some of those videos, read a few reviews and they look pretty legit, they're like 0.7 or 0.07 cm thick... or somthing, haha so I think I might give em a try but does anyone else have anything to share?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'd listen to that voice. It's not only where you put your fingers, but your strings are gonna be pressed against them repeatedly. Do you bend? Even more wear and tear.

As long as your expectations are modest, it might be worth it for you. That kind of money won't buy much of anything but maybe lunch for you and your girlfriend. So no big deal if you have to tear them back off the board in a couple of months.

if his guitar has jumbo frets and he presses down hard enough to touch the fretboard, he has a much more serious problem than inlays.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I think the frets are either medium or large or sumthing but not jumbo.
what's this about touching the fretboard with jumbo frets though?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
I think the frets are either medium or large or sumthing but not jumbo.
what's this about touching the fretboard with jumbo frets though?
When you use jumbo frets or scallop your fretboard, the strings and your fingers don't come in contact with the board. You condition yourself to apply enough pressure to get good contact between the string and fret, but no more than that.

This makes bending easier. You don't have the added friction of the string or you finger wiping across the face of the board. The only friction is the string to fret contact.

But if the frets are jumbo or you have a scalloped board and you press the strings all the way to the board, this slows you down and you're wasting effort. And you'll pull the note slightly sharp because of the extra deflection.

Jumbo frets or a scalloped board has some definite advantages. But it's an acquired taste. Not for everyone. If you get a chance to try a guitar like this, take advantage of the opportunity. Even if you don't choose to do this with your own guitars, it's an interesting experience.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I have an Ibanez with jumbo frets (well they look pretty jumbo to me) and I don't make ridiculously hard contact on the board but I definitely touch the board. so I'm guessing there is some equilibreum between a fret hand mute and pressing on the fretboard, which allows the note to be played but with minimal effort, right?
how come I've never heard of this? I know I'm self taught but I always watch those shredding videos on the cd's that come with GW magazines... none of them have said anything about this technique... huh I guess I should try
also, I've decided that I'll give the stickers a try, one other question though:
Jason Becker style inlays (multiple coloured numbers) or the Steve Vai style vine thingy?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
ok I like what they have on inlaystickers.com
OPINIONS!
Jason Becker multi coloured numbers
or
Steve Vai vine inlays
?
sank you!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
those at creative cuts look pretty neat. I will have to try those sometime. maybe some for a strat
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I would go for the Becker numbers.
I always liked the look of his inlays over Vai's anyways.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Dr.Tong
ok I like what they have on inlaystickers.com
OPINIONS!
Jason Becker multi coloured numbers
or
Steve Vai vine inlays
?
sank you!

no worries.....I like the space invaders ones and have ordered some bats for my double neck project