Almost certainly the wrong place for this, but I'm sure the experienced people of the musicians forum will know the answer.

I'm only 18, but I'm worried that one day my fingers are just going to give up on me and i'll slowly fall into decline, and i really can't think of anything more depressing. When can i expect this to happen, and is the anything that's specifically good or bad for your joints?

I know this is a stupid thread but i've been meaning to ask someone.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Almost certainly the wrong place for this, but I'm sure the experienced people of the musicians forum will know the answer.

I'm only 18, but I'm worried that one day my fingers are just going to give up on me and i'll slowly fall into decline, and i really can't think of anything more depressing. When can i expect this to happen, and is the anything that's specifically good or bad for your joints?

I know this is a stupid thread but i've been meaning to ask someone.

You know you have at least 60+ years to live? Why are you even worrying about this? Why not put your hands to good use now instead of writing this?
I'd say just cut off your hands and save them for when you're older...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
I'd say just cut off your hands and save them for when you're older...

I put mine in ice for like 3 days. they told me that as soon as the black color faded out I'd be as good as new.
Yeah, i'm not going to stop playing because of this. I want to be playing for a very long time and i just wanted some reassurance to be honest.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
like someone said, you've got a LONG time yet, just take them fish oil things that help joints
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
Take heart. I'm 63, and though my fingers start out a little stiff-ish, I can say that I have fully as much facility as I did when I was much younger.
I use both flatpick and play fingerstyle, and play a wide variety of instruments ranging from regular guitar to banjo, mandolin, and slide guitar.
I would say I start to experience a little hand fatigue earlier than I used to, but overall I'm still going strong.
By the time you're old enough to worry about it, I expect medicine will have made considerable advances in the arthritis department.
If you keep using your body, it'll work.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I know from my family, fingers can take a lot of abuse. You'll be fine.
i don't know why i feel so dry
My fingers are still perfect and getting faster, never would have thought it when I was 18, but getting older is pretty cool. Im in my 40s now.
Ehh, your fingers might get a bit less flexible and fast as time goes on. But really, there are so many old farts still playing the strings.. maybe at that time you wont shred, but who cares? If you cant play as fast, you play a bit slower, if you cant do complex chord fingerings anymore, you play a bit simpler..

And yeah, dont forget to properly warm up when you play or practice, think about how healthy you are living, and it wont be a huge issue.
Segovia played concerts until he was, like, 90. Seriously.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.