So, im 16 and this is my first playing varsity league (american football). In my country this sport still has an "underground" status cuz no one plays it (people mostly plays soccer), and my position is cornerback. Today when practicing we were lacking people, so they put me as linebacker and i was hella scared. At the first 2-3 plays i was frozen, from then i started moving, and when i was going to tackle the runningback i froze from fear, and the RB slapped my helmet <.< and i really felt noob and humilliated. Basically almost everyone in my team already has experience in this sport, and i feel like an useless noob. Any tips in how overcome fear and how to tackle better? thanks alot ^_^
Btw my height is 1.71 and my weight is 120, im pretty sure im the lightest person in my team, but im one of the fastest...

And today was like the third time i ever wore shoulders and a helmet ._. ....
The only way to overcome fear, is to face it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
eventually when you get hit enough, you stop being scared of getting hit.

and if youre smaller than those that you have to tackle, you have to wrap them up below the waist. above the waist, theyll just run you over.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at Aug 3, 2010,
Take a deep breath and say "Lets do this".
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by alaskan_ninja
OH LAWDS IT'S A CLOWN!!! I IS SCARED OF THE CLOWNS!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!

?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Football is fun just ask your coach and teammates for help. They'll be happy to
Quote by JacobTheMe
Yeah, the movie was complete tat.

Avoid, unless you enjoy ruining things that you enjoy.

You can call me Cam, Cameron, or any other variation
Mortal Enemies with Primus2112
And everybody's singin'la, la la la, la la la
You're the lightest person on the team and you're the linebacker? Your team isn't very bright, that's like where the RB always goes. You need to match up with a wide reciever (I think the position is Corner Back) I've also seen some light people who have played really good defensive end because they are great at getting behind the lines if they're fast. I'd suggest tackling low with your faceguard to them. Don't lower your head or you'll break your neck. Getting knocked down doesn't hurt, trust me, I was a lineman when I played.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by TheClown
Basically almost everyone in my team already has experience in this sport, and i feel like an useless noob.

Don't worry, man. Everyone on your team started out just like you are. You'll get better at it.
lots and lots and lots of alcohol.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
The only way to make the best of your situation, is to make the worst of your situation.

wat
Quote by seemeel
lots and lots and lots of alcohol.

Drinking before football is good brah.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by Nelsean
Take a deep breath and say "Lets do this".

LEEERRRROOOOOYYY JEENNNNKINNNNSS
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Size doesn't matter. (in this scenario... ) When I played football, there was this dude on my team who could knock me down almost every time, and he was about half my size. Just lower your head and bust through people.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Having a fear of tackling? Well, first of all you got to have the desire to lay them on there ass. If you don't want to knock someone on there ass I prefer you go to the offense. To get over fear you need your first good hit. It will become natural. If you don't make first in contact it's going to hurt. If technique is a problem just aim for the hips and try to get your ear hole to there belly button. Always have your feet moving. Make sure your always low. Don't worry about size. I have seen small linebackers make huge hits on big fat fast runningbacks. You have equipment for a reason. Hope this works. Stay healthy. If none of this helps ask a coach about form tackling.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by biga29
Size doesn't matter. (in this scenario... ) When I played football, there was this dude on my team who could knock me down almost every time, and he was about half my size. Just lower your head and bust through people.

No, this is a terrible idea. Don't lower your head unless you want to suffer spinal injury.
Quote by biga29
Just lower your head and bust through people.

Do NOT do this. This might cause concussion or broken necks. I have seen players go down like this. Also, I suggest using gloves. For some reason I can't tackle as well without my gloves. Maybe it's just me.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
A good linebacker brings the fear. A good linebacker is terror incarnate. A good linebacker has no remorse for the bleeding opponent laying on the field. A good linebacker wants to inflict the maximum amount of damage upon the asshole that has the audacity to carry the ball to his area of responsibility and makes him pay dearly. A good linebacker steps on small animals just to feel their bones crunch.
You don't have that.
Become a QB. They're used to wearing skirts.
Btw. I was an awesome linebacker.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
thanks for the tips ^_^ and now that i´ve noticed, the thing that scares me from tackle is a running back running full speed at my area ._. thats my problem. So... im a cornerback and that scenario will happen a lot.
Quote by TheClown
thanks for the tips ^_^ and now that i´ve noticed, the thing that scares me from tackle is a running back running full speed at my area ._. thats my problem. So... im a cornerback and that scenario will happen a lot.

Don't be afraid of that. You have padding for god's sake. The worst that well happen is that you'll get the air knocked out of you, and that's the absolute worse that will happen, unless you stand in some retarded way. When he runs through your gap destroy him.
You can not be successful without the risk of failing.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by TheClown

Why are you stationary waiting for him? Run full speed at him. Put the fear into him.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by TheClown
How to overcome fear?

srsly
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Jackal58
Why are you stationary waiting for him? Run full speed at him. Put the fear into him.

This. It's just physics that you'll love the fight when you're stationary and he has forward momentum, you have to push his momentum backward. Aim for his weak spots (legs or waist). It will hurt more if you don't try.
Quote by tayroar
This. It's just physics that you'll love the fight when you're stationary and he has forward momentum, you have to push his momentum backward. Aim for his weak spots (legs or waist). It will hurt more if you don't try.

Did you mean to say lose? I don't think he'll love getting run over.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
You pretty much just have to face it. Get in there and be aggressive, and you will forget about being scared. When I played football, my friend was the shortest, smallest kid on the team but in practice the coaches would put him all over the place on defense just for fun, mostly linebacker and defensive tackle, and he would absolutely tear people the fuck apart. He was just tenacious. Size doesn't matter so much if you can use every bit of it better than the other guy can. But that's just part of being naturally athletic and knowing how to use your body to its full potential.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by Jackal58
Did you mean to say lose? I don't think he'll love getting run over.

Yeah, that was a typo on my part (a kinda funny one at that). Who knows though, the dude may be a masochist.
You pretty much just have to face it. Get in there and be aggressive, and you will forget about being scared. When I played football, my friend was the shortest, smallest kid on the team but in practice the coaches would put him all over the place on defense just for fun, mostly linebacker and defensive tackle, and he would absolutely tear people the fuck apart. He was just tenacious. Size doesn't matter so much if you can use every bit of it better than the other guy can. But that's just part of being naturally athletic and knowing how to use your body to its full potential.
Football is all about attitude. Not size.
Quote by tayroar
Yeah, that was a typo on my part (a kinda funny one at that). Who knows though, the dude may be a masochist.

It was. And I doubt it. He'd be terrified of a dominatrix.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Throw yourself in at the deep end.. whenever I have a fear of something thats what I do
For example, fear of heights: go on the damn tallest rollercoast around.
alright, i played hockey and checking is slightly similar but not exactly the same. I was small, about 5'10 150 lbs with pads. i see you used metric system and im a dumb american...
You have to want to win the little battle of 'the tackle'
anyway line them up, look at them straight in the chest so you dont miss.
when within close enough distance, crouch down with your upper legs like you would to do an explosion jump or a squat.
use your leg muscles to explode towards your target but dont let your feet leave the ground so you dont lose traction.
as an addition you can use your arms as you explode up to either wrap up or add to the initial impact.
i tend to rotate a bit to hit with my shoulder in hockey, idk how it would fair on the field.

but you have to have that grit confidence to want to be the small guy who took out the bigger guy. helped me a lot

EDIT: oh and you have the potential as a corner to have the most destructive hits on the field. if you can angle correctly and use the gap during a play to destroy the ball carrier
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by IXIchiodoIXI at Aug 5, 2010,