So this whole trading guitars thing isn't working on craigslist. So I've been on musicians friend looking for some nice guitars. I really want a nice acoustic-electric (with cutaway) that sounds good plugged and unplugged. I play a lot of CCR, Bob Dylan, Dave Matthews, and some acoustic BFMV and All Time Low songs. I used my mom's no-name guitar flipped (since she's left handed) and it was just a huge pain in the ass. So I want an acoustic of my own. Currently I don't have a budget, or an amp. But I'm selling my guitars (best offer) and an old bass amp ($700) so my budget will probably be about $700-$900.

I'm willing to go used and I will be sure to try out these guitars before I buy them. I just want some recommendations.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Last edited by Nolanrox at Aug 3, 2010,
I'd tell you try looking @ some taylors. In my opinion these guitars sound beautiful. best bet is go to a guitar center and just play different kinds, that way you will know what you're looking for.
In your price range, you've got a lot of options available to you. I'll go on and say the usual brands of Yamaha, Alvarez, Washburn, and Blueridge. All of them make a great deal of wonderful guitars right in your price range. You could probably even find a used Taylor or Guild right in that range as well. (I'm not sure what Guild has their lower end guitars priced at these days)
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by iband48
In your price range, you've got a lot of options available to you. I'll go on and say the usual brands of Yamaha, Alvarez, Washburn, and Blueridge. All of them make a great deal of wonderful guitars right in your price range. You could probably even find a used Taylor or Guild right in that range as well. (I'm not sure what Guild has their lower end guitars priced at these days)

From what I've heard, Yamahas don't sound that great unplugged. I'm actually looking at Fenders right now, to be honest.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
The Atlas series of Breedlove guitars seems to fit your description nicely. Beautiful guitars, with cut-aways, nice bright sound, and they're acoustic-electric. Apparently the electric system is very nice, but I've only played one unplugged.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Quote by Nolanrox
From what I've heard, Yamahas don't sound that great unplugged. I'm actually looking at Fenders right now, to be honest.

Hmm, it'd be the first time I'd heard that myself.

I'll say that, based on my own experience, you can get much better acoustics for the same price as a Fender acoustic. They might still be giants of the electric guitar world, but I've never found a Fender acoustic to honestly be worth the money when compared to other guitars. But, again, just my own experience. Some people play, and love, Fender acoustics.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by BlueGreen
The Atlas series of Breedlove guitars seems to fit your description nicely. Beautiful guitars, with cut-aways, nice bright sound, and they're acoustic-electric. Apparently the electric system is very nice, but I've only played one unplugged.

The Atlas Solo C350 looks REALLY nice!
I'm curious about the side hole next to the preamp though.

Quote by iband48
Hmm, it'd be the first time I'd heard that myself.

I'll say that, based on my own experience, you can get much better acoustics for the same price as a Fender acoustic. They might still be giants of the electric guitar world, but I've never found a Fender acoustic to honestly be worth the money when compared to other guitars. But, again, just my own experience. Some people play, and love, Fender acoustics.

Yeah, I'm really loving the look of the Dick Dale. But I've played John 5's acoustic and I really like the thin neck. Doesn't sound amazing unplugged, but sounds really nice plugged it. The Dick Dale sounds great plugged and unplugged and it's $40 cheaper than John 5's guitar.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by obeythepenguin
The APX Yamahas don't sound great unplugged; that's true for any thinline guitar. The full-size ones like the FG730S are quite a different story.

Hey, weren't you also looking for a blues guitar? One without a Bigsby that isn't a Gretsch?

Yeah, but I'm a very fickle person so I tend to change my mind a lot about things. And my dad also gave back the Deluxe Reverb because he said "You don't really need that much power, son." >.>
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
you can't get a really nice acoustic electric for $700 - you can get a lam b&s acoustic electric. but you can get an all solid blueridge or all solid guild GAD-25, then add a k&k pure western mini, and can probably bring it in for a total of around $700.
My budget will probably raise sooner or later. My mom will pay for whatever because my dad doesn't buy me anything. =\
But, I also said the budget was around $700 to $900. So if anything, my mom would also pay the extra if I find something for like...$1,200.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
at that price, i'd definitely recommend guild guitars - they're all solid, well made, great finishes, truly amazing value and i can't get over how great mine is. i have a guild GAD-f20 that sounds so nice, and i tried it because the used guild GAD-25 i tried at gc blew my mind. i'd suggest trying a guild GAD-25, GAD-50 or GAD-40 if you like dreads or a GAD-30 (man, i love these!) in rosewood or hog if you like OMs.

i also like blueridges - either the br-140 or br-160, depending on if you prefer mahogany or rosewood. also all solid, nice finishes, and they also come in 000 sizes if you want something smaller. btw, the A models have adirondack tops and 1 3/4" nuts, the regular non-A models have 1 11/16" nuts.

then you have a k&K pure western mini installed by your local tech, and voila! you end up with a good quality all solid guitar with electronics. or if you buy a blueridge from maury at maury's music, you can have a pickup installed before the guitar is shipped.
Quote by patticake
at that price, i'd definitely recommend guild guitars - they're all solid, well made, great finishes, truly amazing value and i can't get over how great mine is. i have a guild GAD-f20 that sounds so nice, and i tried it because the used guild GAD-25 i tried at gc blew my mind. i'd suggest trying a guild GAD-25, GAD-50 or GAD-40 if you like dreads or a GAD-30 (man, i love these!) in rosewood or hog if you like OMs.

i also like blueridges - either the br-140 or br-160, depending on if you prefer mahogany or rosewood. also all solid, nice finishes, and they also come in 000 sizes if you want something smaller. btw, the A models have adirondack tops and 1 3/4" nuts, the regular non-A models have 1 11/16" nuts.

then you have a k&K pure western mini installed by your local tech, and voila! you end up with a good quality all solid guitar with electronics. or if you buy a blueridge from maury at maury's music, you can have a pickup installed before the guitar is shipped.

Hmm, well if I can't get a decent acoustic electric, can I get a decent acoustic for the money?
This might sound a little silly, but I've always preferred the sound of the mic up to the guitar, instead of the guitar plugged in. :P
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Aug 4, 2010,
the guitars i listed are very good, not just good for the money. and if you don't want to plug in, don't add the k&k and there ya go.

here are the guild GADS by price - again, all are all solid, great finish, well built, and the brand has some street cred, too. all the ones on this page are in your price range, a couple at the high end are acoustic electrics. i love playing my guild - it sounds wonderful.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars?N=100001+304262&Ns=P_Price|0&Ntk=All&Ntt=GAD&Nty=1&rpp=20

and then there are the blueridges. i've played a lot of blueridges, and to my ear their all solid models smoke better-known brands in the same price range, which tend to have laminate backs and sides for less, which means less overtones, volume and nuace in the sound.

blueridge with mahogany back and sides, 1 11/16 nut
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/35952

blueridge with rosewood back and sides, 1 11/16 nut
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/35941

blueridge with mahogany back and sides, adirondack top, and the listed nut of 1 11/16 is incorrect.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blueridge-BR140A-Craftsman-Series-Dreadnaught-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=430312
saga (the manufacturer) says this model has a 1 3/4 nut http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=BR-140A&Page=4&view=&keyword=&CategoryID=2&FamilyID=2&BrandID=5

blueridge with rosewood back and sides, 1 3/4 nut, adirondack top
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/51491

you can get an epiphone masterbilt with electronics for less, but i personally don't like them as much. the sound isn't as good to my ear, and i don't like the satin finish. also i've run into a bunch with issues like lifting bridge and belly bulge, but overall i'd say that they're not bad guitars.

Quote by Nolanrox
Hmm, well if I can't get a decent acoustic electric, can I get a decent acoustic for the money?
This might sound a little silly, but I've always preferred the sound of the mic up to the guitar, instead of the guitar plugged in. :P
Last edited by patticake at Aug 4, 2010,