Hey dumb question, but what does scooped mids mean? I heard metal guitarists talk about scooped mids and whatnot. What is that.
Quote by AcousticMirror
mids = 0

so it means the mids on the amp should be at 0
Quote by eugene1129
so it means the mids on the amp should be at 0

Yup it gives me the greatest tone for my Peavey XXX on a rhythm channel. I'd recommend just to do this strategy on rhythm tones cuz it sounds brutal. oops i mean br00tl
That's pretty much it, I don't recomend it, but that's the idea.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Quote by Kyle-Rehm
That's pretty much it, I don't recomend it, but that's the idea.

it got the name scoop because if you have a visual EQ, you have your bass and treble much higher than the mids, so it looks like someone 'scooped the mids out of the EQ'. though its also not mandatory that the mids are at 0, just as long they are not as present as the lows and highs

refer to pic
Attachments:
Scoop.jpg
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Last edited by distortion896 at Aug 3, 2010,
FWIW, it's almost, if not impossible to get a good tone with mids at 0. Scooped usually means that they're around 2 or 3.

Just play with your EQ and see what works for you.

As for me... I likes me some mids. My mids are higher than anything else. It sounds so much more brutal than scooping, because it's all right there and in your face. Scooped sounds like something is missing from your tone. And something is. Haha.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I leave my mids neutral or higher. Otherwise my tone just sounds hollow and shitty.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
it's the reason metallica sounds like shit, and you dont want to sound like shit, so don't scoop da midz
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
What're you guys talkin bout the low chuggin rhythms sounds badass!! I guess some people only like high pitched screaming tones

Also i DO set my mids around 2 or 3
Quote by distortion896
it got the name scoop because if you have a visual EQ, you have your bass and treble much higher than the mids, so it looks like someone 'scooped the mids out of the EQ'. though its also not mandatory that the mids are at 0, just as long they are not as present as the lows and highs

refer to pic

To answer the OP's question 100% Read this^

Just also remember, a lot of the midrange is "scooped" during post production, not at the amp. An eq is easier to remove than add..
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by CaparisonCore
^ +1

All you're "scooping" out is tone (imo).

+2! to each their own, but i spend a lot of time getting my mids right where i want them and working on highs and lows later. once my guitar teacher explained to me what exactly mids were all about i really felt like they were the most important part of your sound.

from 2 rooms away you can hear music. you can't tell what's being played, but you can tell it's there. nothings distinct in it though. the person playing has no mids.

you can hear music from 2 rooms away and the music is still well defined and you can hear clear pitch changes. this person is using their mids properly

it's a little more complicated than that, and at the same time not at all. confusing and poorly explained. but thats how i see mids.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by I am wet
it's the reason metallica sounds like shit, and you dont want to sound like shit, so don't scoop da midz

they dont scoop their mids.........seriously have you ever heard a metallica song?
Quote by Tedis1111
they dont scoop their mids.........seriously have you ever heard a metallica song?

They actually do, but they have very midheavy amplifiers which justifies it.
Unfortunately all fanboys with different amplifiers do the same and make it sound like shit.