Im 16, and i wanna start a band, but when i think about it, i dont really know how to get one started. I cant find people that are competent enough to get serious in a band, and not just joke around. I play guitar, i'd prefer to play rhythm and sing alongside someone playing lead guitar. I wanna play post hardcore kind of music, but im basically up for a lot of stuff. Its really easy to start a band with people, but its ridiculously hard to find people that have that talented, natural musician ability. i played drums in old band, but i had to leave because i moved. i know that tons of people have been in the same situation, so does anyone have any advice at all? it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Well I'd recommend to find a couple guitarists or others to just 'jam' with first or something, to see how they are, and see if they are what you are looking for.
Make sure that they are the kind of people that will usually show up for practice on time, and won't skip out much. Also make sure that they aren't into some kind of hardcore drugs, or aren't alcoholics and stuff, ya know?
Another thing to make sure of is to see if you guy's get along. Don't make a band with someone you can't really stand.
There's the advice that I can give you. I've never been in a band before, cause I live in such a small town, but I think those are some good pointers.
Hoped it helped dude.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
thanks man. thats what i wanna do, but its so hard for me. i live in a small city in Ontario. i think i mightve found a bassist that i get along with who also plays guitar. and maybe a drummer too. but frig, its so damn frustrating
find a singer and work from there, wile writing songs, keep advertising for bass and drums and extra guitar etc. this is what worked for me.

your young and no real rush, my band took 16 months before we found a good enough bass player who didnt just play the notes of the chords like 90% of those who tried out, by then we had written 8 originals, and had met other bands that got us into venues for gigs, now we regular once a week at a local pub, all within 2 years of starting.
Not a problem, like the guy above me said, don't rush, you'll find people eventually.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
If you're 16 there should be tons of kids that play at your school. Hang out the music room, see who's got some skill and/or who's dedicated to music. Spread the word around.. bring your guitar to school, especially if you an acoustic and jam all around let everyone know you play.. record a video of yourself playing, post in youtube, facebook, whatever you use and send it around.. it you do this kind of stuff it should come back to you. Once you find one person he should know other people, or have experience in other bands and that'll help you out even further.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Aug 4, 2010,
thanks for the advice everyone. today i found some people that are probably interested in starting a band. but i dont know how good they are, so im just going to hope for the best. and i do take me acoustic to school, cuz i have a guitar class, so sometimes id go in at lunch and stuff. but everyone who goes in there are either beginners, or are just interested in quiet acoustic stuff