Hello, UGers.

While I didn't technically play on this cover of "Message In A Bottle" by The Police, I did help with the arrangement, got the musicians together, recorded, mixed, and mastered it for a school project. I think it turned out quite well. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Check it out!

To get to the song, click the "Music Samples" menu item from the main page. Then select the song from the player. The other songs there are little MIDI demos that I hope to record with actual instruments as soon as I can get back to school (so I can use their recording equipment: I'm a broke college student who can't afford his own rig [yet...]).

For all you audiophiles/fellow audio engineers: I recorded the guitar (an Ovation acoustic) using an 2 AT4040's, one at the body, and one at the neck. I also used another small AT mic (a clip on used primarily for saxophones) actually inside the sound hole of the guitar, and then mixed all 3 together. I think it gave it a nice full sound. Turns out I may have overcompensated on the monitors I was using though, and turned the volume too low. Oh well. On the violin, I used the same clip on mic on the bridge of the instrument, a condenser mic (Shure, the name escapes me) several feet away from it to capture ambiance, all in a small isolation room. Vox were recorded with both the Shure and AT together, mixed together. Recorded, mixed, and mastered in Pro Tools 7.4 HD.

Anyways. Yeah. Kinda went off on a tangent there...but I digress. Enjoy the song!
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Last edited by jtwylie at Aug 4, 2010,
i like it... very different. i like the violin, my only problem with it is the guitar should be mixed a little higher, i can barely hear it over the violin on the chorus.

good job
Thanks for the feedback, I noticed that, too. It seems every time I do a mix, there's always something that I feel I need to fix. The guitar volume was that in this mix.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C4C anyone?