ok so im a 6 stringer looking for a bass to record with, so nothing fancy. would a 4 or 5 string be better for thrash ,like, megadeth ,metallica ,anthrax ,heathen ,metal church.
and is it ok if i use a normal amp on clean.
so what would you guys suggest in the $100-200 range.
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Quote by Thrash_Head1990
and is it ok if i use a normal amp on clean.

Only if you're running a guitar head through a compatible bass cab. Playing a bass through a guitar combo, or any head with a guitar cab will damage and degrade the speakers until the only sound you'll get out of said amp/cab is a noise akin to farting in a tin can.

As for the bass, 4 or 5 strings is up to you, its really more personal preference then anything else. Keep in mind 5-ers will be more expensive then their 4 string counterparts. I'd recommend an Ibanez GSR200 with that budget, it the best you'll be able to get for $200 or less (new).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Most thrash bands I know of use 4 strings.
And a transparent amp is fine, you can always get a pedal.
And for a starter bass... http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524
Something like that would work nicely =P

EDIT:
Oh, he means a guitar amp?
Yeah, bad idea.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Last edited by Nolanrox at Aug 4, 2010,
Guitar speakers will be destroyed by bass frequencies, if you have a spare PA or keyboard speaker lying around, that'll do alright.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Thrash_Head1990
ok so im a 6 stringer looking for a bass to record with,

That doesnt't really define you as a guitarist considering you can get 6 string basses
I was confused at first because you said you were looking for your first bass, but I thought you played a 6 string bass, so yeah, confusing.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
so a PA will be fine because my step dad has a peavey PA

Quote by Bearded_Seth

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Quote by Bassist Rising
That doesnt't really define you as a guitarist considering you can get 6 string basses
I was confused at first because you said you were looking for your first bass, but I thought you played a 6 string bass, so yeah, confusing.

I thought the same thing,

and probably go for a 5 string
Not only is a guitar speaker probably going to get damaged if you run a bass through it, it's also not going to convey the bass. And then you're going to record that.

That's pretty much parallel to recording the bass, then throwing in a high pass filter at 150-200hz and killing all your low end entirely; going to sound pretty terrible.

I'd very rarely ever record a bass without DIing it. If you have the luxury of being able to mix in both a DI'd signal and an amped one, then go for it, but if you can only use one or the other, just DI it. It's going to sound infinitely better.
I played a 6-string electric guitar for over 30 years before I decided to take up the bass guitar, which I have been playing for about a year now. I'm going to go out on a limb and make some very specific suggestions that helped me immensely during the transition phase. They may fly in the face of suggestions made by musicians who play bass only and have no electric guitar background.

First, consider a short scale bass for your first purchase. The jump from a 25" or 26" electric guitar scale to a 34" bass is huge. I started with a long-scale bass but I could play much better after changing to a 30" scale bass. Eventually, I will probably change back to a long-scale bass, but the short-scale makes for an easier short term transistion.

Unfortunately, there is not a huge selection of short-scale basses under $200, but I am amazed with the sound and quality of Samick's Greg Bennett series. For about $190 you can get a nice CR13 Corsair short-scale bass with both a P and J pickups delivered to your door. It's made in Indonesia. Sound is great and quality/fit/finish is probably a bit better than the Chinese copies copies I have seen. Plus, the neck is quite decent. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000C4C1O2/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1281008172&sr=8-1&condition=new

Second, start out with flat-wound strings. You'll produce a better sound quicker, and you won't have any problem with squeaky strings.

Third, apply more finger pressure to the frets than you would with your electric guitar to eliminate fret buzz.

Finally, look at the Acoustic B100 bass amp. 100 watts, lots of volume and a 15" speaker for $200.

Hope this helps.

-Dawg
Quote by Tostitos
Only if you're running a guitar head through a compatible bass cab. Playing a bass through a guitar combo, or any head with a guitar cab will damage and degrade the speakers until the only sound you'll get out of said amp/cab is a noise akin to farting in a tin can.

As for the bass, 4 or 5 strings is up to you, its really more personal preference then anything else. Keep in mind 5-ers will be more expensive then their 4 string counterparts. I'd recommend an Ibanez GSR200 with that budget, it the best you'll be able to get for $200 or less (new).

Preach! Preach! This man speaks the truth!
Gear:

Ibanez SR700
Ibanez GSR200
Yamaha RGX 121Z

Peavey Tour series 450 Head + Peavey 410 TVX Cab
VOX ADVT15

Line 6: Guitarport
Last edited by Headcrusher! at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by VeloDog
I played a 6-string electric guitar for over 30 years before I decided to take up the bass guitar, which I have been playing for about a year now. I'm going to go out on a limb and make some very specific suggestions that helped me immensely during the transition phase. They may fly in the face of suggestions made by musicians who play bass only and have no electric guitar background.

First, consider a short scale bass for your first purchase. The jump from a 25" or 26" electric guitar scale to a 34" bass is huge. I started with a long-scale bass but I could play much better after changing to a 30" scale bass. Eventually, I will probably change back to a long-scale bass, but the short-scale makes for an easier short term transistion.

Unfortunately, there is not a huge selection of short-scale basses under $200, but I am amazed with the sound and quality of Samick's Greg Bennett series. For about $190 you can get a nice CR13 Corsair short-scale bass with both a P and J pickups delivered to your door. It's made in Indonesia. Sound is great and quality/fit/finish is probably a bit better than the Chinese copies copies I have seen. Plus, the neck is quite decent. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000C4C1O2/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1281008172&sr=8-1&condition=new

Second, start out with flat-wound strings. You'll produce a better sound quicker, and you won't have any problem with squeaky strings.

Third, apply more finger pressure to the frets than you would with your electric guitar to eliminate fret buzz.

Finally, look at the Acoustic B100 bass amp. 100 watts, lots of volume and a 15" speaker for $200.

Hope this helps.

-Dawg

this

Quote by Bearded_Seth

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
i wouldn't really agree with these two guys above me. I went from my 25.5" guitar to a 34" bass. I didn't have any problems. its kinda weird making the stretch at first but really its no biggie. also I would recomend roundwounds at first BECAUSE its harder to get rid of that squeaky tone. using shortcuts will only reinforce improper technique.

the acoustic amp is solid advice though. as is the finger pressure, but that tends to be vary from bass to bass.

and again this isn't from a bass only guy, I have played guitar in the last two bands I have been in.
no sir away a papaya war is on
the better Q is what is a cheap amp for bass

Quote by Bearded_Seth

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.