Okay I know that a gallop is an 8th note followed by two 16th notes and that the reverse gallop is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. I've even seen a few a people write on here the gallop is D D U... and the Reverse Gallop is D U D.

So what I wanna know is: When practicing this with a metronome... do I just perform a gallop on each click of the metronome or something else? It seems to me if i do that the notes end up being evenly spaced like a triplet instead of the gallop (an 8th, 16th, 16th)??
any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
I practice one gallop per click.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Cburnham81
Okay I know that a gallop is an 8th note followed by two 16th notes and that the reverse gallop is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. I've even seen a few a people write on here the gallop is D D U... and the Reverse Gallop is D U D.

It's not the DUD or UDU that determines the gallop.

Quote by Cburnham81
So what I wanna know is: When practicing this with a metronome... do I just perform a gallop on each click of the metronome or something else? It seems to me if i do that the notes end up being evenly spaced like a triplet instead of the gallop (an 8th, 16th, 16th)??
any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Its not triplets because the notes should not be evenly played. It seems you have it backwards, It should be two 16ths followed by eno 8th (not saying it can't be played that way just this way is more common). Maybe just increase the speed of the metronome so you can practice two eights followed by one quarter.
Quote by N_J_B_B
I practice one gallop per click.

This.

...and if it ends up sounding like a triplet then you're doing it wrong

A triplet is three evenly spaced notes, whereas a gallop is either: short short long for each click, or: long short short.
Quote by chainsawguitar
This.

...and if it ends up sounding like a triplet then you're doing it wrong

A triplet is three evenly spaced notes, whereas a gallop is either: short short long for each click, or: long short short.

So for every click, I should play two short/quick notes followed by one long note or vice versa...???

also anybody know anywhere I can watch or read a beginner tutorial about this because apparently I need to break this down from the beginning.
Quote by Cburnham81
So for every click, I should play two short/quick notes followed by one long note or vice versa...???

also anybody know anywhere I can watch or read a beginner tutorial about this because apparently I need to break this down from the beginning.

Yes- hence "a gallop is an 8th note followed by two 16th notes and the reverse gallop is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note". 16th notes are half the length of 8th notes, so that's what that means.
thanks for the help....but one last question:
once the metronome starts getting up to speed, doesn't that blur the line between the short and fast notes (8th and 16th)??? I mean once you get up to lets say 120bpm... I dont see how you can make a distinction anymore between the quick note and the long one???
Quote by Cburnham81
thanks for the help....but one last question:
once the metronome starts getting up to speed, doesn't that blur the line between the short and fast notes (8th and 16th)??? I mean once you get up to lets say 120bpm... I dont see how you can make a distinction anymore between the quick note and the long one???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzSxIfFKg0Q

Listen to that song, or at least some of it. If you're not the biggest fan of metalcore or the vocals, then just skip the intro to the next part. That song has galloping parts at around 210 BPM at the fastest. There is a very, very clear distinction between them as well.

Alot of the clarity comes with practice. A tone that isn't very muddy would probably help a little bit as well.

Oh yeah, and the song isn't Bullet For My Valentine or anything like that. I don't know if you have a superiority complex against generic metalcore so I'm just getting that out now. It's August Burns Red - Indonesia.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 4, 2010,
1 +a2 +a3 +a4

A gallop is 3 sixteenths. You just don't play the 'e'.

An 8th and 2 sixteenths is equal to 4 sixteenths or 2 eights.
If the human mind were simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it.
Last edited by SatinBlack at Aug 4, 2010,