So got myself a new hot rod deluxe. The speaker SUCKS. It breaks up at 3-4. I love the amp though. I really wanna do a speaker change. What speaker should I go with? I was looking at an emminence texas heat. $70. And also is it an easy install? I've got a bit of experience. Changing pups fixing outputs and pots and such.
Quote by AlaskanYeti
So got myself a new hot rod deluxe. The speaker SUCKS. It breaks up at 3-4. I love the amp though. I really wanna do a speaker change. What speaker should I go with? I was looking at an emminence texas heat. $70. And also is it an easy install? I've got a bit of experience. Changing pups fixing outputs and pots and such.

many people sing praises about the texas heat, i don't know about it myself. but your options are quite open with such an amp. obviously you don't dig on speaker breakup, so you'll probably want something rated for about 30+ watts (the more watts, the more flat response you'll get from the speaker).

i'd personally opt for the more original route and go with a weber designed jenson copy or surf ebay for an old eminence bell or an old CTS squareback.

for a less traditional you also have the option of a higher watt blue dog (the blue dog is a clone of a celestion alnico blue). you can go neodemium speakers for more power handling and lighter weight. you can do a greenback (G12M-25) as well, those aren't the best for headroom though.

you can also add an extension cab to the hot rod (if that is an option) and this should put less strain on the speaker whilst mixing it with a new one.

replacing a speaker is pretty easy. just make note of which connector goes to positive and which goes to negative. take a picture of it before replacing the speaker if you want to be sure. i also put pieces of tape on the connectors that unique label each wire (A, B, C, etc) and then make a drawing of the connections to ensure proper reconnect. other than that the connectors are slip on, a pair of pliers is useful if you need to bend the connector a little to make a snug connection.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae