It seems the mesa triple rectifier is the "cool" amp to buy, especially for amatuer metal players. Yet the bands that I see use these amps the most are Nickelback, Daughtry, Hinder, etc. To me the amps just sound buzzy, bright, loose, and the tone just sounds bad. I have heard mesa's that sound amazing, but not this one.

Am I missing something here?
alterbridge/creed's mark tremonti puts the tripple recta into great use. check his stuff out.

they are great amps.

dont forget, as a guitarist we set out tones to how we want them to sound, maybe those sounds arent nice to you.
The Mesa Rec's are definitelyl not bright. but dark muddy and loose imo. they're ok at best. they are just overhyped is all
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
IDK, I thought Dual Rectifiers were more popular for metal. I think ur right though, most triple recs I've seen used have been by bands with pretty "basic" I guess you could call it, guitar players.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Amateur metal players? I dont expect many to be able to raise 1700 usd for a new one(1300 USD for a used one)

They certainly are loose and dark like Bostonrocks said but they are a voice for a certain set of people. Maybe not you but perhaps more of loose rhythm players. The amp does what it does brilliantly.

what mesa amps have you heard
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
The closest most amatuers will ever get to a Mesa is to stare at it through glass in a music store.

I do think Recs are overhyped though. I'd much rather take a Mark or a RoadKing.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by mexican_shred
Amateur metal players? I dont expect many to be able to raise 1700 usd for a new one(1300 USD for a used one)

They certainly are loose and dark like Bostonrocks said but they are a voice for a certain set of people. Maybe not you but perhaps more of loose rhythm players. The amp does what it does brilliantly.

what mesa amps have you heard

I am mainly thinking of the Mesa Mark 4. I'm sure just as many people made those sound crappy but John petrucci's tone is incredible. I have also played through a friend's Mesa Bullet(?). It was voiced similar to the Triple Rec but felt tighter and the gain seemed more focused(less buzzy). I would love to try a Road King.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
The closest most amatuers will ever get to a Mesa is to stare at it through glass in a music store.

I do think Recs are overhyped though. I'd much rather take a Mark or a RoadKing.

The Road King is a Rec

^^ fair enough. The Mark IV is an easy easy amp to make sound bad since the EQ is so fickle. Most mesas are fickle to EQ(except maybe the Lonestar, ElectraDyne) so tis real easy to make it sound back. The Rec's are tricky to EQ imo, and a person with new ears to guitar tone can really nerf them up. Best adivice is to go out and try them and use your ears and spend time with them
Quote by mexican_shred
The Road King is a Rec

^^ fair enough. The Mark IV is an easy easy amp to make sound bad since the EQ is so fickle. Most mesas are fickle to EQ(except maybe the Lonestar, ElectraDyne) so tis real easy to make it sound back. The Rec's are tricky to EQ imo, and a person with new ears to guitar tone can really nerf them up. Best adivice is to go out and try them and use your ears and spend time with them

gain up mids 0 duh. easy.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Nah dawg its all about pressence to 10, treble to 10, bass to 10, mid to 0 , gain to 10 plus a metal zone
Quote by mexican_shred
Nah dawg its all about pressence to 10, treble to 10, bass to 10, mid to 0 , gain to 10 plus a metal zone

You forgot the EEMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, pickups.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
just listen to dream theater....

and while mesas are, like anything can be, over hyped, as it really is about personal taste, they are really amazing amps. nothing else sounds like them, and you can make them sound like everything else lol. they have so many different modes and settings, you can get like anything, theyre like the swiss army knife of amps. and not to mention theyre built extremely well and solid. they dont put "mesa engineering" on all of their stuff for nothing.

idk, i think they sound pretty good, and a key thing i look for in all amps is versatility. definitely something thats on my gear to buy before i die list haha
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
just listen to dream theater....

People forget that Petrucci used a Roadking for a good 4-5 years, which is basically a super duper Recto, and had an amazing tone. He also used a normal Dual Recto for SDOIT on some songs, it sounds almost exactly like his Roadking tone. For some reason people automatically think "MARK IV OMG" when they think Petrucci... he even used a Roadking for the rhythm on his solo album.

I've heard so many different sounds that a Recto can make... so many factors make up how the end result comes (mainly when recording). I've heard recordings of a Recto that were ANYTHING but fizzy and loose, but I've also heard many fizzy, loose recordings. But still, internet clips aren't the best to go by...

I don't know, sometimes I think I really like Rectos, sometimes I doubt them.

edit:
I realize the thread is about Triple rectos, but they all sound very similar, though the Roadster and Roadking are supposedly voiced slightly darker than a Dual/Triple recto.
Last edited by Ignite at Aug 4, 2010,
^ But a Roadking still sounds quite different from a Recto.
He also used Recto's for Awake and Falling Into Infinity, and used a Racktifier live for those tours.
True, though his Awake tone was a mix between Mark IIC+ and recto, so you can't really judge it. And I never listen to FII

I know, the Roadking is voiced different than the a Recto, hence my edit... but it's still a Recto, the voicing is still Recto voicing.. it's even called a "Dual Rectifier Roadking". Like I said, his Recto SDOIT tone sounds just like his Roadking TOT tone, so that's really the only reason I was comparing them.
Yeah, either way they are good amps, you just need to EQ them properly. And Roadkings are sweet too (do want )

FII is great as long as you dont listen to the whole thing. Lines In The Sand, Trial Of Tears, Hells Kitchen and Peruvian Skies are awesome songs.
Different strokes for different folks...
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...