Im at that point in my guitar playing where either a song is too easy, or its too hard. ive been palying for a year now , extensivly, and i can play thing fairly fast (metal genre ofcourse). some examples being .....well everything metallica, pantera, some sabbath, lamb of god, and fast riffing of that sort. my question here is where should i start to further progress my skills. cause it seems to me that the only thing im missing out on is soloing (which i cannot do in the slightest yet). and advice UG?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
try playing some vai...then come back and say you can play anything.
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by EspTro
cause it seems to me that the only thing im missing out on is soloing (which i cannot do in the slightest yet).

learn to solo?

Also make sure your really rhythmically tight i thought i could play everything well after a year and then realised my rhythm was nowhere near as good as i believed.

Also try shattering the skies above by trivium its fun to play
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Play the harder stuff, but at slower speeds to where it gets kind of difficult to play, then slowly build up your speed, therefore increasing your skill level. Its can be a tedious endeavor, but you gotta do it

And after seeing the above comment, Ill add some bands to try out. So learn some Trivium stuff, preferrably their earlier stuff like from Ascendancy and Ashes to Inferno, then work on The Crusade. A great song to begin learning is The Crusade off off that same album, it's fast very fun, and BADASS, (and some of the riffs aren't too hard). Also learn some Mastodon stuff, if you want a more prog sound, they have some sick shit. Megadeth as well, They are about 2x as hard as metallica stuff, so there ya go!
Last edited by heinrick at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by heinrick
Play the harder stuff, but at slower speeds to where it gets kind of difficult to play, then slowly build up your speed, therefore increasing your skill level. Its can be a tedious endeavor, but you gotta do it

And after seeing the above comment, Ill add some bands to try out. So learn some Trivium stuff, preferrably their earlier stuff like from Ascendancy and Ashes to Inferno, then work on The Crusade. A great song to begin learning is The Crusade off off that same album, it's fast very fun, and BADASS, (and some of the riffs aren't too hard). Also learn some Mastodon stuff, if you want a more prog sound, they have some sick shit. Megadeth as well, They are about 2x as hard as metallica stuff, so there ya go!

Totally agree although you'll need a 7 string to play the crusade, this world cant tear us apart and becoming the dragon.

also start diversitising into other genre's it will really expand you as a musician

EDIT: Also try joinging a band, it doesnt really matter what type of music they play to much aslong as you can enjoy yourself, but it will help you with guitar a lot as you realise how it works in context of music
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Last edited by !-twisty-! at Aug 4, 2010,