Page 1 of 2
So, today, I was checking out Tom Hess' online guitar lesson program. I filled out the questionaire and what not, and from what I've seen on the site and judging by Tom's own lessons, this seems pretty legit. However, with no trial option, I'm kind of skeptical about this whole deal. Has anyone here had experience with his lessons? What do you think of them?
They're designed to mentally disorient the student making him believe he sucks and doesn't know a thing about guitar, which most of the time is true. I'd say go for it.
Quote by Zeletros
They're designed to mentally disorient the student making him believe he sucks and doesn't know a thing about guitar, which most of the time is true. I'd say go for it.

Big words. Have you taken them by any chance?
Last edited by Faded Grey at Aug 4, 2010,
No, just seen a couple of demos on youtube. And also seen 1 student show off sweep picking, it was incredibly clean. I never took any lessons on anything, but I wouldn't mind taking from him if I had the $, he seems like a teacher with an irregular approach to a given task, which is a bit like I do everything.
Last edited by Zeletros at Aug 4, 2010,
ive read alot of his articles and seen alot of his videos. They all seem to be very empty, just saying you have to overcome your mental obstacles and whatnot. He is in this for the money (and his lessons are damn expensive).

Just because he has a few anticdotes about his lessons doesnt sway me.

I say take your money and spend it on a real guitar teacher where you can get face to face lessons. This whole internet lesson thing seems like it would be very innefective.

Just trying to save you from wasting your money.
Tom knows his stuff, but for the price, he's not worth it. And online lessons are never as good as one-on-one, face-to-face lessons.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
And online lessons are never as good as one-on-one, face-to-face lessons.

I couldn't possibly agree more with this. You're probably better off with looking for a teacher in your area. So if you know someone who's pretty good at guitar, ask them if they had teachers and how to get in touch with them and all. It's what I did, and I'd say it worked out pretty well.
American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser

MXR M-108 10 Band Equalizer
MXR M-169 Carbon Copy
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Dunlop JH-1 Wah

Peavey Delta Blues Classic 115

last.fm, add me if you want!
Quote by Brendan1
ive read alot of his articles and seen alot of his videos. They all seem to be very empty, just saying you have to overcome your mental obstacles and whatnot. He is in this for the money (and his lessons are damn expensive).

Just because he has a few anticdotes about his lessons doesnt sway me.

Agreed 100%.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I read once that, he charges just less than a grand per month a few months back ago.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by Junior#1
Tom knows his stuff, but for the price, he's not worth it. And online lessons are never as good as one-on-one, face-to-face lessons.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I kind of don't like his whole egotistical outlook about this. He speaks as if his online teaching is superior to just about every teacher out there. While he is a very good player, no doubt, the whole 55$ a month is just rly pricy for some online lessons.
He seems to claim himself as a virtuoso, despite the fact I've never ever heard of him (which obviously doesn't mean he's NOT a virtuoso as there are plenty of musicians I haven't heard of) but I've never heard or seen anyone ELSE refer to him as a "virtuoso" either, which really raises some alarm bells and I tend to not trust people who label themselves with such an advanced title.

Also, 90% of his articles here are nothing but common sense in them that doesn't really tell you anything new with an advertisement at the end to offer you the "full package".

In short, I do not trust the man and find him to be the personification of those advertisements that say "BE A GUITAR GOD IN 60 DAYS!!!" and their websites that always have yellow highlighted text and yellow boxes with "satisfied" customers.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
He seems to claim himself as a virtuoso, despite the fact I've never ever heard of him (which obviously doesn't mean he's NOT a virtuoso as there are plenty of musicians I haven't heard of) but I've never heard or seen anyone ELSE refer to him as a "virtuoso" either, which really raises some alarm bells and I tend to not trust people who label themselves with such an advanced title.

Also, 90% of his articles here are nothing but common sense in them that doesn't really tell you anything new with an advertisement at the end to offer you the "full package".

In short, I do not trust the man and find him to be the personification of those advertisements that say "BE A GUITAR GOD IN 60 DAYS!!!" and their websites that always have yellow highlighted text and yellow boxes with "satisfied" customers.

He could very well be a Virtuoso by technical terms. I wouldn't doubt that he's practiced 10,000 hours in his lifetime. Even if he is a Virtuoso, that doesn't automatically make his teaching superior to just about everyone else. Speaking of using the term "Virtuoso", he commonly claims to have produced many virtuoso students. Though, I haven't heard of them until I went to his website. One video I saw was basically him talking about how he puts out elite virtuoso students. To me, that just makes me think of these lessons as more of a scam.
TS don't waste your time. Look up Pebber Brown on Youtube, for his paid lessons you can exchange videos and he'll give you feedback plus I think his credentials are more believable than Tom Hess's. Also look up creativeguitarstudio on Youtube, from what I've seen he's a pretty good teacher and goes beyond just guitar lessons but also to guitar maintenance etc. And even on this site you've got people like Freepower that can help. All I've ever read from Tom Hess is narcissistic, ego driven jabbering; his lessons just sound like a scam to me.

Just a few suggestions,
It's all just a joke

Last edited by thecrusher1234! at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by thecrusher1234!
TS don't waste your time. Look up Pebber Brown on Youtube, for his paid lessons you can exchange videos and he'll give you feedback plus I think his credentials are more believable than Tom Hess's. Also look up creativeguitarstudio on Youtube, from what I've seen he's a pretty good teacher and goes beyond just guitar lessons but also to guitar maintenance etc. And even on this site you've got people like Freepower that can help. All I've ever read from Tom Hess is narcissistic, ego driven jabbering; his lessons just sound like a scam to me.

Just a few suggestions,

Hey man, thanks a load. I just checked out Pebber, and this guys just awesome. I'm already liking his philosophies, and needless to say. he's a killer player. I really appreciate it .
Quote by Faded Grey
Speaking of using the term "Virtuoso", he commonly claims to have produced many virtuoso students. Though, I haven't heard of them until I went to his website.

This.

I looked at his student section and the only one I've ever heard of was Rusty Cooley (who, of course, is the first one on the list) and everybody else is just like "Who?".

You'd think that since he's a "virtuoso" and he apparently churns out virtuoso students left and right, that more than one of them would have some sort of degree of success; apparently being taught by Tom Hess doesn't carry much clout.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
justinguitar and creativeguitarstudios (on youtube) and sometimes "rockongoodpeople" will throw a good lesson or two at you,

I've signed up for the Hess ebook and what not...dont waste your money too much good stuff out there to be had...if you look for it. be discriminate and don't let any dumbbell teachers make false promises to you.
"ohhh I like it, pianos can't do that." -P. Gilbert

"guilty of enjoying life in the 2[1]st century, are you out of your f***ing mind?" -F. Zappa
Tbh, I think that you might be better off with a teacher in your own local area, there really isn't a substitute for face to face .

(hence why I don't give webcam lessons )

Secondly, there's amazing free resources on the net. To be perfectly honest if Tom Hess isn't immediately the kind of teacher you want I would look around a bit more. I've heard some good stuff and some bad stuff about him, but at the same price you can get webcam lessons from Greg Howe AND Rusty Cooley.
Tom Hess is responsible (in part) for braking up my band. I had a guitarist join up with him and he was never the same.

Most of his stuff is geared to the "you can make money with self help and guitar lessons" at fifty bucks a month and he makes you pay to use his forum. Then he has you go around selling his product, for a nice "little" price for the person selling it of course. If you ever read what he says it's all to get the user of his site to miss trust the people around them. it's a bad scene all around.

But for all his self serving crap I have learn one thing; If you're going to build a pyramid start from the top.
Wow, he sounds like a real A-hole.

Only wish someone on UG used his program to give us an insiders view. Its weird that noone who is a client of his is also active on UG come to think of it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
He does have some good advice... for sure.

But despite that, his method of selling is very militant. Something many people don't like/shy away from.
Also, labeling yourself a guitar God means you automatically are not.
Too many alarm bells go off with him. People who go against their instincts with the alarm bells ringing will reap their reward. Maybe it'll be good, maybe not? Who knows.
Quote by Mellow Gold
Tom Hess is responsible (in part) for braking up my band. I had a guitarist join up with him and he was never the same.

Most of his stuff is geared to the "you can make money with self help and guitar lessons" at fifty bucks a month and he makes you pay to use his forum. Then he has you go around selling his product, for a nice "little" price for the person selling it of course. If you ever read what he says it's all to get the user of his site to miss trust the people around them. it's a bad scene all around.

But for all his self serving crap I have learn one thing; If you're going to build a pyramid start from the top.

And you resurrected a 9 month old thread why?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by Junior#1
And you resurrected a 9 month old thread why?

Would you rather him make a whole new thread or bump a pre-existing one?
I take lessons from Tom. I'm an intermediate player, and I've seen more progress from doing his lessons in 2 months that I had with a variety face to face teachers for over a year. Sure, face-to-face lessons are great, but honestly the right person isn't always available in your area, not to mention the countless hours and money spent hoping to find the right one.

I decided to try correspondence lessons with Tom and give it a month. I've been very pleased with my experience. I take 2-3 lessons/month. Each lesson contains a variety of topics and covers more depth than any other lessons I've taken.

The stuff on youtube isn't representative of the level of detail Tom gives in his paid lessons. I can see how these are a turn off, and frankly I was skeptical as well. But trust me, the meat is really in the paid lessons. I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy - really.
Quote by AtomicBirdy
Would you rather him make a whole new thread or bump a pre-existing one?

Considering that this discussion has been done hundreds of times on UG already, neither. There was no reason at all for him to bring this thread up again. It's over. TS has gotten the information he was looking for. If he hadn't he would have asked more questions and this thread wouldn't have died 9 months ago. Bumping is frowned upon here. There's no reason to bring up a thread in which all questions have been answered when new threads and questions are asked here every day.
Quote by Geldin
Quote by slayerfrk
rusty cooley took lessons on how to teach from him, george bellas took lessons form him, thats all i can think of. i think tom hess is a dick and only wants money, hes a douche but he sure can play.

Incorrect. Rusty Cooley collaborated for a time with Tom's teaching model. Tom Hess is a student of George Bellas.

As for him being a dick, I do not recall him being impolite to anyone. He has an aggressive business model, but then so does big oil.
Quote by duexe
Incorrect. Rusty Cooley collaborated for a time with Tom's teaching model. Tom Hess is a student of George Bellas.

As for him being a dick, I do not recall him being impolite to anyone. He has an aggressive business model, but then so does big oil.

How is it possible that you've been here for 3 years and you are still reviving dead/dying threads? GTFO.

Can a mod just close this thread already? It's no longer relevant.
Quote by Geldin
Quote by Freepower
Personally I'd rather leave it open. The reason there's so much confusion about what Hess offers is that there's no single resource for curious people to look at.

Duexe is going around bumping Tom Hess threads. Go figure. Perhaps we can just test his music theory knowledge instead?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sleaze Disease
This.

I looked at his student section and the only one I've ever heard of was Rusty Cooley (who, of course, is the first one on the list) and everybody else is just like "Who?".

You'd think that since he's a "virtuoso" and he apparently churns out virtuoso students left and right, that more than one of them would have some sort of degree of success; apparently being taught by Tom Hess doesn't carry much clout.

Amen to the "doesn't carry much clout". I've never heard of these people either. Seems to me that all Tom Hess can produce is more guitar teachers.

I figured out a long time ago that musical success isn't built around how well you play your instrument, but how well you write songs. Case-in-point: when George Harrison finally met John Lennon, Lennon was playing his guitar with 4 strings and didn't even know it was a 6 string. Harrison said he asked Lennon, "What are you doing?" Then they strung up his guitar properly, but had to show him how to play the chords. But look at what an amazing songwriter John Lennon turned out to be.

Tom Hess will never attain that kind of success or recognition. I would like to take the money I lost to him and shove it down his throat.
Quote by HateTomHess
Can you afford Tom Hess? I would bet my money on that your money would spent out on trying to take lessons from this guy before you really learned anything worthwhile.

He lies in wait hoping you'll sign up for something and then forget that you did, or won't figure out how to cancel a subscription.

The Bible says in the last days men will be "lovers of money"; Tom Hess is certainly one.

I think I'll write a song called "If I Could Find You I Would Kill You"

I understand that you've recently had a bad time with Tom Hess. I'm not sure what you're achieving though by resurrecting these old threads. In MT you'll find that we aren't his biggest supporters.

As for me being able to afford him, well I guess I could, not sure why I'd pay for an online teacher though when there are many talented teachers in my immediate area.

If your complaints are valid, why not report him to the appropriate agency as well as bumping these threads?
Soundcloud
Quote by HateTomHess
The Bible says in the last days men will be "lovers of money"; Tom Hess is certainly one.

Whoa whoa whoa. When did this go from talking about Tom Hess to freakin' eschatology? You lost some money; it's not literally the end of the world.
I look forwards to your song. Hate keeps a man alive; it gives him strength. And makes for kickass music.
Cheers.
Quote by Cavalcade
Whoa whoa whoa. When did this go from talking about Tom Hess to freakin' eschatology? You lost some money; it's not literally the end of the world.
I look forwards to your song. Hate keeps a man alive; it gives him strength. And makes for kickass music.
Cheers.

Well, I had deleted my post because of a threat from Tom Hess, but since it's up there now, anyway, I guess I'll write the song.
Quote by HateTomHess
Well, I had deleted my post because of a threat from Tom Hess,

How did he do that?
Soundcloud
Quote by Cavalcade
Tom Hess watches these forums 24/7? I strongly doubt that.
(If he does, hi Tom!)

Nope, but me and Freepower do, and this is not a soapbox.

HateTomHess - if all you're going to do is bitch about Tom Hess then please take it elsewhere.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2