Hi,

I've just bought a new guitar and now I'm looking for a new amp.
What I would like is a amp which doesn't have to be loud, I only play at home and often with headphones.
However I still want to be able to get a metal sound out of it, as well as a good clean sound.

So, is it possible to get a heavy sound with a small amp, if you use the right pedal and guitar?

Which amp(and pedal) would you recommend?

Thanks!
angryq
Orange Rocker 30, Blackstar ARTISAN 15, Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 1x10 Combo, H&K Puretone Combo... there are lots of small amps you could try.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by forsaknazrael
30 tube watts

A watt is a watt - it doesn't matter if it's from transistors or tubes, or a diesel engine or whatever...

And small is relative - compared to my Marshall stack, it is small. And your style is governed far more by your playing and technique than by your amp. I can get metal out of my Marshall if I so want, and you can do from an Orange as well.

Get off your high horse!

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Quote by forsaknazrael

also, a Rocker 30 for metal?

orange rocker/thunder are great for metal. tiny terror can even be good for some styles, and others, just get a TS9
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
When he's looking bedroom practice and the ability to use headphones, 30 tube watts is definitely too big.

And Lingua, do your homework. These are vintage voiced amps. I'm tired of heaing this "TT for metal" rubbish. It's a vintage voiced amp, FACT.

You can technically get metal out of any amp. That doesn't mean it's suited for it...
that's like buying a minivan to enter a NASCAR rave. You could, but why bother?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
30 tube watts

You did it again. A watt is a watt! How hypocritical of you to tell others to do their homework when you are the one with flawed knowledge. Maybe you should hit the books yourself. Here's a good starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

Quote by forsaknazrael

And Lingua, do your homework. These are vintage voiced amps. I'm tired of heaing this "TT for metal" rubbish. It's a vintage voiced amp, FACT.

oh trust me i do alot of homework on gear. '
first of all, ive played a TT, ive played a rocker and a thunder, all of which i thought would do metal. TT i would attribute more to a black sabbath esque sound.

there is such thing as vintage metal, FACT.

rocker and thunder, i would definitely use these for metal if i could ever get my hands on one. prime example, they are mostly what was used to record the songs on this record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON6XnaB9ksY&feature=related

also, introduction is uneccesary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KbmRTgigQ

lastly,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

EDIT: also, my name has no g in it, FACT.

and yea, watt = watt, tube or not
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by seemeel
You did it again. A watt is a watt! How hypocritical of you to tell others to do their homework when you are the one with flawed knowledge. Maybe you should hit the books yourself. Here's a good starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

your an idiot 30 watts tube is going to be 5 times louder than 30 watts ss

if you dont know what your talking about dont give advice in the first place

an TS if you just want to use headphones with effects and everything get a line 6 pocket pod for 100 bucks
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King

an TS if you just want to use headphones with effects and everything get a line 6 pocket pod for 100 bucks

watts =/= volume.

anyway, if you want tubes, itd actually be semi hard to find an amp with a headphone jack, at least to my experience. i do agree with the pod recommendation tho, idk about the exact one he listed but from what ive heard pods can get some pretty nice SS tones if i ever heard them.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Karpet King

5 times louder, you say? Not 4 or 6? Yes I'm being facetious, but shit - don't make baseless claims you turkey. You should also have a read of that article I suggested earlier - it seems as though you don't know what power is either.

From what you have just written, it is obvious that you are the idiot. I do know what I'm talking about. I own both solid state and valve amps, and have done for some time now. Please reserve your stupid comments for somewhere where they're appropriate.

Anyway, this is getting silly. TS, you failed to specify a budget and your own definition of 'small'. Such ambiguities invariably lead to idiots and tube zealots like Karpet King and forsaknazrael emerging from the woodwork...

Quote by seemeel
5 times louder, you say? Not 4 or 6? Yes I'm being facetious, but shit - don't make baseless claims you turkey. You should also have a read of that article I suggested earlier - it seems as though you don't know what power is either.

From what you have just written, it is obvious that you are the idiot. I do know what I'm talking about. I own both solid state and valve amps, and have done for some time now. Please reserve your stupid comments for somewhere where they're appropriate.

Anyway, this is getting silly. TS, you failed to specify a budget and your own definition of 'small'. Such ambiguities invariably lead to idiots and tube zealots like Karpet King and forsaknazrael emerging from the woodwork...

can someone please tell this guy that tube is louder than solid state.

cause hes a try-hard and still fails at life
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
i wonder how we even communicate these days.

that's like buying a minivan to enter a NASCAR rave. You could, but why bother?

you can't actually buy a minican to enter a nascar race. those races are heavily regulated and the restrictions would prohibit minivans.

besides there is no 'restrictions' on amp setups. a more proper analogy would be a girl wearing a red or black dress at a wedding, in that it would be inappropriate.

but then again it all comes down to definitions of metal, as Linqua noted there is vintage metal. though many people 'in-the-know' on these forums know what we consider 'metal', but i play more 'vintage' voiced amps when i still play my occasional 'seek and destroy', 'orion', 'sabbra cadabra' jams. i consider those songs as 'metal' songs, but i don't like using the H&K triamp when i jam on them, i like my OR50H better.

as far as the watt <> spl/dB/volume thing goes, everyone seems to be claiming to know many things and making claims on the knowledge, but i have yet to see anyone back that up any real explanation.

why is a 'tube watt' different/louder than a 'ss watt'?

why is a "watt is a watt - it doesn't matter if it's from transistors or tubes, or a diesel engine or whatever." this actually does matter a bit though, but more in understanding rather than argument

why is 30 watts "5 times louder" out of a tube amp?

why does watts <> volume?

also, this is what i think of when i think 'small amp', you should get one but it sucks at metal

'54 gretsch supro.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Karpet King

why don't you explain to him why tube is louder than solid state?

-ae
Quote by Karpet King

He's right. 30 watts = 30 watts. Doesnt matter whether its tube or SS, tube amps are said to be louder because they're rated RMS clean (usually) and they reach that at around halfway on the volume knob (obviously varies between amps) so cranked a 30 watt tube amp could be putting out 60+ watts, where an SS amp will stay clean a lot longer, so they start to clip with the volume almost all the way up, and they're only putting out 30 watts then, nowhere near as much as a tube amp would be putting out on the same number on the volume.
Quote by seemeel

please stop picking out arbitrary points just because you want to make me look wrong.
My point is that 30 watts of tube power is VERY loud - louder than someone looking for an amp suitable for bedroom practice or headphone usage would be.

Linqua (sorry you got so offended by me mispelling your name. It happens when anyone glances quickly at a user that they've never seen before.
I've seen all the YouTube videos - whatever.
Traditionally speaking, metal amps need a good amount of preamp gain, a good amount of clean headroom, and large low end.
Let's review:
the TT has...
15 watts of power. Low headroom.
Two 12AX7s. Hm. Typically, high gain amps have at least 3 tubes, more commonly 4 or 5 these days.
Large low end? Not really, the TT has teeny transformers that are spec'd to handle 15 watts.

Plus, IMO, it sounds really crappy with the gain dimed.

FWIW, I'm not some idiot "coming out of the woodwork". I've been around 5 years longer than you, and spent a good deal more time posting than you.
Quote by littlephil
He's right. 30 watts = 30 watts. Doesnt matter whether its tube or SS, tube amps are said to be louder because they're rated RMS clean (usually) and they reach that at around halfway on the volume knob (obviously varies between amps) so cranked a 30 watt tube amp could be putting out 60+ watts, where an SS amp will stay clean a lot longer, so they start to clip with the volume almost all the way up, and they're only putting out 30 watts then, nowhere near as much as a tube amp would be putting out on the same number on the volume.

Yes, but tube amps seem a lot louder because they actually color the tone quite a bit. They're outputting a lot more harmonics than an SS amp. Combined with the nonlinear nature of tube amps' clipping...your ears hear something that is much louder.

Gumbi, way to take my minivan statement too seriously...
I know it's not possible, I was just making a comparison.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yes, but tube amps seem a lot louder because they actually color the tone quite a bit. They're outputting a lot more harmonics than an SS amp. Combined with the nonlinear nature of tube amps' clipping...your ears hear something that is much louder.

Well yeah, that too. I was just trying to give a simple explanation, and I forgot that stuff too. I'm tired
Quote by littlephil

yeah thats what i was trying to say...both applications use 30 watts...but tubes can can be pushed harder without clipping
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by littlephil

that is fairly close.

both are rated RMS style (as opposed to peak output), both are also rated at a certain distortion level (like say 10% THD). the difference is the distortions derived from a tube amplifier are more tolerated/pleasing to the ear, this allows a tube amp to be driven significantly beyond it's rated clean distortion level; whereas a distortion derived from a tube amp are less pleasing/tolerated to the ear so you usually don't want to drive it toward it's rated clean level, let alone past it and so you don't normally get 'extra' volume from SS amp.

-ae
Quote by Karpet King
yeah thats what i was trying to say...both applications use 30 watts...but tubes can can be pushed harder without clipping

what exactly do you mean "tubes can be pushed harder without clipping". both devices have characteristic curves, both have a nominal linear operation range and both 'distort' outside of it. both clip when pushed beyond the range. tube amps are actually used because of their favorable clipping properties...

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
what exactly do you mean "tubes can be pushed harder without clipping". both devices have characteristic curves, both have a nominal linear operation range and both 'distort' outside of it. both clip when pushed beyond the range. tube amps are actually used because of their favorable clipping properties...

i mean solid state clips at lower volume

in other words you need to turn your amp up on a tube amp to get the full potential out of your distortion

were as a solid state amp distortion turned up us unnecessary to get a good distortion sound (opposite)
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by forsaknazrael

FWIW, I'm not some idiot "coming out of the woodwork". I've been around 5 years longer than you, and spent a good deal more time posting than you.

What it's worth? precisely nothing. OMG, you registered in this website 5 years ago, what a hero you must be. How lucky we are to bask in your reflected glory. I will nominate for the Medal of Honor tomorrow.

And Karpet King - you seem to be talking sense now! Why couldn't you do that from the start?

Quote by Karpet King
i mean solid state clips at lower volume

in other words you need to turn your amp up on a tube amp to get the full potential out of your distortion

were as a solid state amp distortion turned up us unnecessary to get a good distortion sound (opposite)

yes, but whether either is the case or not, 30 watts out a tube amp is 30 watts out a SS. wattage is the measure of the rate of energy conversion (specifically we are talking about electrical energy to physical energy/excursion movement of the speaker). your claims have much more to do with linearly operating ranges and signal processing than with actual energy conversion.

a more proper way of stating you statement would be to say tube amps sound more favorable at the fringes of their high end operating potential while SS amps don't.

most amps (tube or SS) use diode clipping for preamp distortion, so the only distortion u usually get out a modern tube amp when the volume is cranked would be power amp distortion. power amp distortion is actually not desired in most higher gain sound though...

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by seemeel
What it's worth? precisely nothing. OMG, you registered in this website 5 years ago, what a hero you must be. How lucky we are to bask in your reflected glory. I will nominate for the Medal of Honor tomorrow.

And Karpet King - you seem to be talking sense now! Why couldn't you do that from the start?

dude, you seem to be picking many fights. i took interest in this cuz both sides were much raking too much, and talking a bit too much out their ass. from what i have seen fosakenazrael post in other threads i would trust his advice substantially over yours (mainly cuz i don't know your post history rather than from this thread). but we are lucky we have him on the forums.

and i don't know how you could make sense out of the KarpetKings post, it sounds like imprecise jargon thrown around too many people in these forums.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious
30 watts out a tube amp is 30 watts out a SS.

This man knows what he's talking about! What a coherent, logical and correct post.

Quote by gumbilicious
dude, you seem to be picking many fights. i took interest in this cuz both sides were much raking too much, and talking a bit too much out their ass. from what i have seen fosakenazrael post in other threads i would trust his advice substantially over yours (mainly cuz i don't know your post history rather than from this thread). but we are lucky we have him on the forums.

and i don't know how you could make sense out of the KarpetKings post, it sounds like imprecise jargon thrown around too many people in these forums.

Hmm, well it shouldn't be a black mark against me that I haven't had much post history... everyone has to start somewhere. However, that does not change the fact that I do know what I'm talking about... And if someone tells me that I don't know what I'm on about, I'll stand up for myself. There's nothing terribly revolutionary about that. My main gripe was with the repeated insistence that transistor power was not the same as valve power. Both of them failed to talk about anything other than volume, until yourself and littlephil came to the party.

And regarding Karpet King - it's an improvement from what he started with which is what I was getting at, but still pretty poor technically. However, at least he tried to pick up the standard. He is only 15 after all, so you could forgive him for not understanding valve and transistor characteristics... it's a university course in itself.

Quote by gumbilicious
yes, but whether either is the case or not, 30 watts out a tube amp is 30 watts out a SS. wattage is the measure of the rate of energy conversion (specifically we are talking about electrical energy to physical energy/excursion movement of the speaker). your claims have much more to do with linearly operating ranges and signal processing than with actual energy conversion.

a more proper way of stating you statement would be to say tube amps sound more favorable at the fringes of their high end operating potential while SS amps don't.

most amps (tube or SS) use diode clipping for preamp distortion, so the only distortion u usually get out a modern tube amp when the volume is cranked would be power amp distortion. power amp distortion is actually not desired in most higher gain sound though...

are you an engineer or something haha
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
A 30w tube amp is not an ideal bedroom amp, especially when the OP plays with headphones at home. The volume will be hard to control well, and the best tones out of the amp would be well out of reach.

I say go for a Peavey Vypyr 15.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
A 30w tube amp is not an ideal bedroom amp, especially when the OP plays with headphones at home. The volume will be hard to control well, and the best tones out of the amp would be well out of reach.

I say go for a Peavey Vypyr 15.

+1
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by seemeel
Hmm, well it shouldn't be a black mark against me that I haven't had much post history... everyone has to start somewhere. However, that does not change the fact that I do know what I'm talking about... And if someone tells me that I don't know what I'm on about, I'll stand up for myself. There's nothing terribly revolutionary about that. My main gripe was with the repeated insistence that transistor power was not the same as valve power. Both of them failed to talk about anything other than volume, until yourself and littlephil came to the party.

And regarding Karpet King - it's an improvement from what he started with which is what I was getting at, but still pretty poor technically. However, at least he tried to pick up the standard. He is only 15 after all, so you could forgive him for not understanding valve and transistor characteristics... it's a university course in itself.

it was more the fact that forsakenazrael referring the the phenomenon that a topped 30 watt rated tube amp actually puts more than 30 watts because it can operate favorably with a saturated power section. a SS amp can't do this, so they tend to sound 'quieter'. these are very untechnical terms, 'tube watts' and 'SS watts' but they do have bearing.

also, the fact that SS amps use impedance bridging instead of impedance matching also effects speaker response in different ways, this also yet another cause among a list of many why they sound different. but the end effect is the same, a tube amp 'sounds louder' than a equally rated SS amp and it is a well known phenomenon in the community. he just kinda went about very confrontationally.

as for KarpetKing, the point is not how much he know at 15, it is more the habits he interacts with people. picking on someone for not knowing the finer points when the antagonist doesn't know the finer points any better is not a healthy environment for learning.

explaining your position, learning new information and researching concepts relating to the problem for better understanding is far healthier than bashing someone cuz it doesn't match propaganda jargon repeated in other threads does not make an informed mind.

are you an engineer or something haha

no, i am a DIY guitarist with a gear fetish. my belief is that if i have all this gear i should at least know what makes is different and special; that way i can use my gear better and more effectively.

there are real engineers on here that blow me away. people like craig who makes has his own amp manufacturing company, or forsakenazrael who helps people troubleshoot their DIY pedal projects, or colin the EE, or cathbard the old school tech, or SYK, etc. these guys are more capable than me.

-ae
Quote by seemeel

What's wrong with you? No one started any beef with you, but every one of your posts is inflammatory, and all you do, instead of addressing any of the information I post, you either set up a straw man argument and misrepresent my point of view, or simply attack my character.
It's hard to take any of your information seriously when all you do is present logical fallacies.
I tell you how you're mistaken, or how you don't understand what I'm trying to tell you, or why I personally believe your point of view is mistaken, but instead you just ramble on about irrelevant points.

Maybe you ARE a helpful individual, but in each of your posts here, you come off as an argumentative angry little man who ignores the information people present.

BTW, we failed to talk about anything but volume, because VOLUME WAS THE ISSUE. He was looking a bedroom amp with headphone capability, as anyone could infer. Therefore, something with high volume, like a 30 watt tube amp, would be overpowered.
Quote by seemeel
A watt is a watt - it doesn't matter if it's from transistors or tubes, or a diesel engine or whatever...
very misleading statement, that. tube amps can put out much more than their rated output. when overdriven, a tube amp's output stage will generate a rather pleasant distortion. it's still relatively clean compared to a ss amp, which basically hits a brick wall and distorts hard. so yeah, it does matter if it's tubes or transistors when you operate in this region. it matters a lot.

Quote by seemeel
And small is relative -
And power -vs- loudness is a logarithmic relationship. Using a 30watts as a reference, you need to go to 300watts to sound twice as loud. 3 watts would be half as loud.

30w is LOUD, unless the speakers are terribly inefficient.
If you're going for the tone you get from an overdriven output stage, this is ridiculously loud in a bedroom setting. I've played a blackface deluxe on stage. That's rated at less than 30watts. When cranked, it can rock the house at a mid-sized club. You really don't want that in your bedroom.

But chances are, TS will be getting his distortion in a pedal, or in the preamp section of his amp and just using the master volume to get the volume that suits him. So the whole issue of output power is a moot point. For use in his bedroom, even 1 watt will be MORE than enough. So if the amp is capable of going louder, that matters not.

Quote by seemeel
Get off your high horse!
Please don't go there.

Quote by Karpet King
your an idiot
*you're. (it's a contraction of 'you are')
but the spelling lesson is secondary. skip the ad hominem attack entirely, k? thanks.

Quote by Karpet King
Just parroting what you've heard elsewhere doesn't help a person learn, even if you are right. An explanation of how things work is more useful than just shouting random facts.

Quote by Linqua5150
watts =/= volume.
very true. the efficiency of the speaker you're putting those watts through have a HUGE effect on volume.

Quote by Linqua5150
itd actually be semi hard to find an amp with a headphone jack, at least to my experience.
right again. especially in the case of tube amps. they require a load on the output to prevent damage. unless the maker of the tube amp wants to add the cost of a dummy load, the speaker would have to remain connected. this defeats the purpose of using headphones in the first place. so tube amps with headphone outputs are quite rare. and there are a lot of ss amps without headphone outs.

Quote by seemeel

any post with that much personal attack is likely to reflect more poorly on the person posting it than it does on the object of his venom.

Quote by Karpet King

Please. Just stop talking. We'll all be grateful. Even those of us who know the difference between how a tube amp and ss act when the output is overdriven. Thanks in advance.

Quote by seemeel
Hmm, well it shouldn't be a black mark against me that I haven't had much post history...
Not to anyone with a lick of sense. Post count is a very poor gauge of whether the person posting is a reliable source. Many people come here with a wealth of knowledge. Their first posts can be downright amazing. Others can make posts of little use for years. Their post numbers might cause you to think they know what they're talking about, when in fact they don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.

But the content of your posts in this thread are definitely a smudge, if not a black mark. Srsly, dude. Lay back a bit. Talk less and listen more. If someone says something you suspect is wrong, politely ask them for an explanation. You might learn something. Or the person might just expose themself for being a parrot who doesn't actually know.

In any case, the most likely result of a pissin' contest is that everyone gets wet.
Unless you're standing on high ground, I don't recommend participating.

Note to all: Retract claws, now. Thanks.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.