http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jca2112rc/

it says power handling 100 watts rms, but then it says the speaker it rated for 70 watts, im not extremely versed in speakers and whatnot so could someone explain this?

also how safe would it be to hook up a 100 watt head to this speaker if i kept the volume moderately low? my amp should arrive today and i have no cab yet, so i was going to try temporarily using this if i could, at least for testing like the clean channel or something, my friend is letting me borrow a crappy backup cab for a while in which cleans dont sound very good but hes never really cared about cleans so he didnt really feel like he needed to get new speakers very badly. the thing is, my amp will be here before i can get my friends cab (412, so itll definitely handle the load) and i will have massive GAS lol
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150

it says power handling 100 watts rms, but then it says the speaker it rated for 70 watts, im not extremely versed in speakers and whatnot so could someone explain this?

also how safe would it be to hook up a 100 watt head to this speaker if i kept the volume moderately low?

speakers give you a bit of fudge space, for example a 30 watt speaker is made to hook up to a 30 watt amp and be run near the amps operating limits (beyond it's clean rating an amp can produce extra power, so a 30 watt amp may produce up to 45 watts). but running a speaker near (or beyond) it's limits is much like the effect aggressive driving has on tires: the more slam brakes and spin tires and make hard turns, the less lifetime you get out your tires.

when rating a system's power handling, always go with the speaker rating. in other words, if the speaker is known to be rated at 70 watts then use that over some 'power handling' stat i am not sure what it is alluding to.

you should be fine running your 100 watt head through the cab. if i had an idea of what head it was i could give more accurate advice, but keeping the master volume around 2 to 4 should keep the amp low enough to keep damage from occuring. if your new amp has a '1/2 power' switch than that would good to use, and would keep the output of the amp below power handling of the speaker. if your new head is tube then be sure to match impedance.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
im getting a laney vh100r, and it doesnt have a master, but as i thought i should be safe keeping the volumes low right? just going off of me and my friends running a bv300 through a cab not quite rated for 300 watts haha
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
yeah, a non-master amp will be quite different. i have a few without the master volume and it will just take 'feel' to find the appropriate setting. my sunn doesn't normally get above 2, my epiphone embassy usually sits around 4 to 6, while my supro's are usually cranked all the way with the volume on the guitar rolled back slightly. no telling where the 'sweet spot' is for the laney til you play it, but generally there is a spot around 2 or 3 that just begins to open the amp up, and that is what i'd get away with.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
ok, as long as it wont shred the cone haha
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by gumbilicious
speakers give you a bit of fudge space, for example a 30 watt speaker is made to hook up to a 30 watt amp and be run near the amps operating limits (beyond it's clean rating an amp can produce extra power, so a 30 watt amp may produce up to 45 watts). but running a speaker near (or beyond) it's limits is much like the effect aggressive driving has on tires: the more slam brakes and spin tires and make hard turns, the less lifetime you get out your tires.

when rating a system's power handling, always go with the speaker rating. in other words, if the speaker is known to be rated at 70 watts then use that over some 'power handling' stat i am not sure what it is alluding to.

you should be fine running your 100 watt head through the cab. if i had an idea of what head it was i could give more accurate advice, but keeping the master volume around 2 to 4 should keep the amp low enough to keep damage from occuring. if your new amp has a '1/2 power' switch than that would good to use, and would keep the output of the amp below power handling of the speaker. if your new head is tube then be sure to match impedance.
This is solid advice. Unless you plan on driving your Laney extremely hard, it should be fine.

Although, I'd personally get a different cabinet. I'm sure you can pick up a used Avatar 2x12 cabinet with a pair of Vintage 30's (enough power for a 100 watt head) on a second-hand website like eBay or Craigslist. I don't understand why you would want to buy a combo as your speaker cabinet.