Hello,

I believe this is my first post, so please don't slam me with a sledgehammer for the stupid questions that are about to follow

Anyways, I purchased Alexi-200 around last year's december and I just got around to messing around with it now - I decided to learn another StS' song, but to do that I needed to tune the guitar to different tuning than the stock one. So, as I did with my first ibanez guitar, I just used the tuning nobs on the neck, you know as usual. But then I noticed that I couldn't hear a change in the tuning at all, whether I turned it higher or lower. I ended up breaking the string So now my questions are the following:

How can I change the strings on it? I couldn't find a way to release the string completely, didn't want to mess around without any knowledge aswell. There seems to be this bridge with 3 blocks (2 strings under 1 block) that hold the strings together - even though one of them is broken, it is still playable as E

How on Earth do I change the tuning?

Now, I know the first step would be going to the store I purchased it from, but the thing is, I got it while I was in Finland. I also didn't receive any documentation with the purchase, so if you could be kind and tell me how to do these things, I'd be a happy camper

Thanks in advance!
Oh man...this is so painful...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you have to loosen the locking nut (those blocks holding your string)with an allen key
its there so that the guitar could stay in tune while you play with the whammy bar
once that is released you loosen the string and remove it
im sure the string is also being held on with a similar system at the bridge
change one string at a time

also i dont recomend changing tuning with that guitat since it has a floating bridge youd have to do alot of work so just keeo it in the stock tuning since it doesnt look like you hae much experience with floating bridges
sorry about the grammer and spelling and good lucj
edit: a link would have been much easier than to type
\
Last edited by supersac at Aug 4, 2010,
Alright, well usually these guitar purchases will come with allen wrenches. You wanna use the wrench that fits the keyhole of those 3 blocks (those lock the nut so that when you turn the tuning knobs at the head, the tuning does not change). Loosen those screws and place the screws/plates somewhere safe while you re-tune.

The tricky part is that when you tune lower, your bridge will be lowered due to less string tension. So, a good thing to do would be if you were going to, for example, tune down a full step, I'd tune down only a half step, and then... you gotta turn your guitar over and take the back plate off. You will see springs with adjustable screws on a plate closer to the head of the guitar. You wanna then loosen those springs (in the situation where you want to raise your bridge up a bit. By doing this, you've not only raised the bridge, but have also lowered the tuning even more due to less spring tension on the strings. So hopefully by now you've gotten down to about a full step lower (in this example).

You would do the opposite if you were tuning up. Tune up a bit, then lower the bridge by tightening the screws on the back (if you are tightening the screws, the plate should be moving toward the head/neck of the guitar).

So once you get to your desired tuning, you'll wanna play around for a bit while the tuning settles in. Then you lock the nut again by screwing those plates back in where you took them out at the start.

Sorry if that's confusing, but this is one of the main reasons people don't buy guitars with floyd rose bridges. They can be quite a hassle (especially if it's your only electric guitar). That being said, my first electric was the Alexi-600 (pink w00t) and that comes with a floyd rose bridge. Just know though that you're mainly going to be sticking to one tuning with this kind of guitar (that is what most people plan for when buying guitars equipped with FR bridges anyway).

Also though, there are little screws (shown at the right side of this picture: http://www.jerrock.com/66/system/files/Image/Guitare/Les_pieces_2008/Vibratos_08/Floyd_rose_08/vibrato/vibrato_floyd_rose_roulement_a_billes_vigier_big.jpg ) that allow you to do some fine-tuning once your nut has been locked. You generally can change your tuning by about a half step depending on where the screws were position-wise when you locked the nut (if you plan accordingly I think you may even be able to change almost a whole step).
O_o
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Holy shit...

Save yourself the embarrassment and ask google next time.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
erm if your a beginner and have all these beginer problems how come you have a £300-400 guitar, sorry just a pet hate
Quote by slingshotjr
best spelling fail ever lol

sorry im sticky from cake a little drunk and having watermelon problems
Quote by supersac

s'all good i just thought the irony of that was too funny
Quote by supersac

This made me lol so hard. wtf? :
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This made me lol so hard. wtf? :

i was making a cake for my freinds birthday which is actualy today and a watermelon rolled into it ruining it i took a few drinks to relax a bit
Quote by Offworld92
Oh man...this is so painful...

deep breaths offworld...deep breaths...
Quote by supersac
i was making a cake for my freinds birthday which is actualy today and a watermelon rolled into it ruining it i took a few drinks to relax a bit

Lol, I hope you get things worked out man. What a douche of a watermelon
Check here for info on setting up your floyd
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by fixationdarknes
Alright, well usually these guitar purchases will come with allen wrenches. You wanna use the wrench that fits the keyhole of those 3 blocks (those lock the nut so that when you turn the tuning knobs at the head, the tuning does not change). Loosen those screws and place the screws/plates somewhere safe while you re-tune.

The tricky part is that when you tune lower, your bridge will be lowered due to less string tension. So, a good thing to do would be if you were going to, for example, tune down a full step, I'd tune down only a half step, and then... you gotta turn your guitar over and take the back plate off. You will see springs with adjustable screws on a plate closer to the head of the guitar. You wanna then loosen those springs (in the situation where you want to raise your bridge up a bit. By doing this, you've not only raised the bridge, but have also lowered the tuning even more due to less spring tension on the strings. So hopefully by now you've gotten down to about a full step lower (in this example).

You would do the opposite if you were tuning up. Tune up a bit, then lower the bridge by tightening the screws on the back (if you are tightening the screws, the plate should be moving toward the head/neck of the guitar).

So once you get to your desired tuning, you'll wanna play around for a bit while the tuning settles in. Then you lock the nut again by screwing those plates back in where you took them out at the start.

Sorry if that's confusing, but this is one of the main reasons people don't buy guitars with floyd rose bridges. They can be quite a hassle (especially if it's your only electric guitar). That being said, my first electric was the Alexi-600 (pink w00t) and that comes with a floyd rose bridge. Just know though that you're mainly going to be sticking to one tuning with this kind of guitar (that is what most people plan for when buying guitars equipped with FR bridges anyway).

Also though, there are little screws (shown at the right side of this picture: http://www.jerrock.com/66/system/files/Image/Guitare/Les_pieces_2008/Vibratos_08/Floyd_rose_08/vibrato/vibrato_floyd_rose_roulement_a_billes_vigier_big.jpg ) that allow you to do some fine-tuning once your nut has been locked. You generally can change your tuning by about a half step depending on where the screws were position-wise when you locked the nut (if you plan accordingly I think you may even be able to change almost a whole step).

Thanks alot for info I'm going to give it a try and see if I can work it out.

Quote by seemeel
Holy shit...

Save yourself the embarrassment and ask google next time.

As I said I'm a beginner and I don't know all the guitar parts that well, especially in english, being that is not my first language.

Quote by henrycrew
erm if your a beginner and have all these beginer problems how come you have a £300-400 guitar, sorry just a pet hate

Some of us actually work and spend their money however they feel like.

Anyways, half of the responses were typical internet ones, but really - thanks alot to those who actually bothered helping, especially supersac and fixationdarknes.

EDIT: Got the string replaced, the guitar tuned and even nailed a few excercises. Thanks again!
Last edited by dr4cula at Aug 4, 2010,
Grats for buying a low-end licensed FR system..

sorry!

But SINCE you're from Finland (like myself, ta-dah!), check this out.

http://www.intelligenzia.org.helsinki.fi/lassial/ohjeet/musiikki/Floyd_Rose_tallan_saataminen