A while ago I went to see Mastodon live where they played Crack the Skye in its entirety and I vowed I would learn how to play the whole thing. I've finally gotten round to it and I've fallen at the first sodding hurdle.

F|-------------------------------------------------------|
C|-------------------------------------------------------|
G|-8-------------8-------------8-------------8-----------|
C|---8-7-5-7-8-----8-7-5-7-8-----8-7-5-7-8-----8-7-5-7-8-|

This is the send part of the pre-chorus, not the most difficult part of the song but I'm having trouble figuring out which fingers I'm meant to use for each note. I'm using ring finger for the notes on the 8th fret, middle on the 7th and index on the fifth and it just sounds really sloppy. Any suggestions?
Quote by Spaz91
A while ago I went to see Mastodon live where they played Crack the Skye in its entirety and I vowed I would learn how to play the whole thing. I've finally gotten round to it and I've fallen at the first sodding hurdle.

F|-------------------------------------------------------|
C|-------------------------------------------------------|
G|-8-------------8-------------8-------------8-----------|
C|---8-7-5-7-8-----8-7-5-7-8-----8-7-5-7-8-----8-7-5-7-8-|

This is the send part of the pre-chorus, not the most difficult part of the song but I'm having trouble figuring out which fingers I'm meant to use for each note. I'm using ring finger for the notes on the 8th fret, middle on the 7th and index on the fifth and it just sounds really sloppy. Any suggestions?

hmmm. i would barre the "8's" with my pinkie, if you have enough finger strength to do it that is :P you probably do. but, when in doubt, dont use your pinkie; sometimes its better to use your ring finer, which for me, is the strongest finger/most versatile one, and when i try and play complicated stuff with awkward fingerings, i sometimes just utilise my ring finger instead
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
hmmm. i would barre the "8's" with my pinkie, if you have enough finger strength to do it that is :P you probably do. but, when in doubt, dont use your pinkie; sometimes its better to use your ring finer, which for me, is the strongest finger/most versatile one, and when i try and play complicated stuff with awkward fingerings, i sometimes just utilise my ring finger instead

I can just about do it with my pinkie finger but it doesn't help with the sloppiness. The actual problem is when I play the F (note, not string). I have to use my middle* finger for the G so its a bit of a 'leap' for my index. It makes a horrible noise like I'm hitting the string rather than fretting it and I can't get enough pressure onto the fret.

(*I can never use both my ring and pinkie in the same riff, don't ask why 'cos I don't know.)
You need to break your little finger like you would break a stallion. It'll happen. Then barre with it by flattening the finger- it's part of the economy of motion concept. So you're fingering normally, flatten the finger when playing the D#, and unflatten the finger again.
I would play:
The 8 on the G string with my pinkie
The 8 on the low C string with my ring
The 7 on with my middle
The 5 with my index
The 7 with my ring and then the 8 with my pinkie.

Then repeat. Practised it a bit and it sounds alright.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I would do

---P-R-M-I-M-R-
G|-8-----------
C|---8-7-5-7-8-

I just find it the most comfortable that way. I find the 'barre the top two notes' method the easiest to do when doing the barring with my ring finger. I guess that reflects my hand shape while playing.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Aug 4, 2010,