I'm considering purchasing a used Peavey Triple XXX from craigslist, and I'm curious as to if I pull 2 of the power tubes, if it will cut the power in half. I'm not sure if it will work with this particular model because it does not work with my Valve King. But I've been told it works with the 6505 series so I'm not sure.

If anyone knows, please let me know, I appreciate your help.

Also it should really crush the valve king tone, correct?
Keeping it heavy since '92.
Quote by mynameisdrakex
I'm considering purchasing a used Peavey Triple XXX from craigslist, and I'm curious as to if I pull 2 of the power tubes, if it will cut the power in half. I'm not sure if it will work with this particular model because it does not work with my Valve King. But I've been told it works with the 6505 series so I'm not sure.

If anyone knows, please let me know, I appreciate your help.

Yes, but you have to halve the impedance or bad things will happen. Also, it should work with the VK if it's one with 4 power tubes. Anyway, you won't notice much difference in volume. It's better for your wallet though, since you need to buy half the power tubes.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The XXX will destroy the Valveking. Absolutely killer amp, brighter with better cleans than the 5150.

One of these was on my craigslist for 300 the other day and if I'd been in the country it would have been mine right now.

Can't comment on pulling tubes. It will usually cut the circuit, and most amps need to be modded to do this.

Why would you want to cut output power? You only lose like 2.5 db of volume, but cut your headroom in half. I'm assuming you play metal, you want your headroom...
Quote by denied
Why would you want to cut output power? You only lose like 2.5 db of volume, but cut your headroom in half. I'm assuming you play metal, you want your headroom...
You lose 3 dB of volume and headroom.
Or in other words, you cut the wattage and headroom in half.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Yes, but you have to halve the impedance or bad things will happen. Also, it should work with the VK if it's one with 4 power tubes. Anyway, you won't notice much difference in volume. It's better for your wallet though, since you need to buy half the power tubes.

It will not work with the Valveking, because the VK's tubes are in series, not in parallel.

A google search revealed that it is possible to do with the XXX.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
It will not work with the Valveking, because the VK's tubes are in series, not in parallel.
Source? That's really odd. I've never heard of 4 power tubes in series. It doesn't make any sense.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

You can run the XXX at half power...but the only real benefit I could see would be saving money on power tubes...you honestly won't notice the decrease in volume and the headroom difference is minimal. When I pulled mine...it really amounted to the master volume moving up a smidge...
Quote by denied
Sooo...Pretty much exactly what I said. What's your point?

The point is you were confusing units.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by denied

Wattage =/= volume.
I know. Thanks for telling me though.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by mynameisdrakex

Yes, yes it will.

If you decide to run it at half power, pull the two outside tubes and move the impedance selector to half of your cabinet ohms...so if you run an 8 ohm cab, set the switch on the back of the head to 4 ohm.
Quote by denied
You lose more in headroom/wattage than you do in discernible output volume.
No, the decrease in both headroom and output volume is about 3 decibels.
I'm still not sure what you are disagreeing with.
I'll repeat it: the point is you were confusing units.

It's no big deal, anyway.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by denied
I'm not sure I agree. Headroom is measured in Watts not db as far as I know. I had this conversation with a Carvin Tech pretty recently.

Well, we might have to agree to disagree..

I'm pretty sure signals are measured in decibels and the headroom is simply a measure of the maximum signal strength before clipping. Now that I think about it, input voltage would also be a suitable unit to measure headroom. Wattage involves work though, which is why I think it would be odd to measure headroom in watts.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I mean, I'm not really arguing to push a certain opinion, I'm just interested.

Headroom is a measure of output power before clipping AFAIK.
Amp wattage rating is the measure of work/output before breakup, correct?

It would seem odd to measure breakup in terms of db, because it depends on how much output the amp has and not a specific volume point.
Quote by denied
I mean, I'm not really arguing to push a certain opinion, I'm just interested.
Same here. I'm not exactly an expert in this field though, so this is all just a bunch of conjecture.
Headroom is a measure of output power before clipping AFAIK.
Amp wattage rating is the measure of work/output before breakup, correct?

I guess it depends on which way you're looking at it. You're defining headroom as how much the amp can output before clipping. It makes sense to measure that in wattage.
I'm defining it as how much you can input before it clips. It makes sense to measure input in voltage (or decibels if you prefer that).
It would seem odd to measure breakup in terms of db, because it depends on how much output the amp has and not a specific volume point.
The output of an amp (in a given setup) is a specific volume point.

ps: note that with decibels up there I do not mean output sound pressure level. You can measure other things in decibels as well.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by denied
Yes, but depending on the wattage. Different amps start to breakup at different volumes depending on their wattage rating.
It depends on more than just wattage, though. It also depends on bias/the design of the poweramp and a little bit on the tubes. Anyway, I agree measuring headroom (by your definition) with decibels doesn't make sense.

Thread hijack ftw?

Hijacking ftw!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Awesome, thanks for the heads up on everything guys. It kind of sucks because with my ValveKing I have to run an MXR 6 band EQ and a BBE Sonic Stomp just to get better tone out of it. Whether it's for metal or whatever. The stock tone of the amp is too 'flat' IMO.

Oh and a TS-9 as well. But yeah if the Triple XXX is better then I'm going for it. Only $400 and I'm selling my VK-100 for $350 by how good the condition still is.
Keeping it heavy since '92.