Hi guys,

I'm gonna buy a Fender Standard MIM Stratocaster and I'm not sure what color I should pick because I have to live with that color for the rest of my life because this will be my first electric guitar.

I play blues to classic rock. I like SRV and Clapton and B.B. King and Led Zeppelin and The Eagles, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix Experience, John Mayer, you get the picture.

I want a color that would look good if I play Sweet Sixteen or Texas Flood and still look good and young when I play new stuff like John Mayer.

My primary choices and comments:

Arctic White - I saw Eric Clapton use one live playing Groaning the Blues, and Hendrix too

Black Candy Apple Red - Looks good with Layla or Sunshine of Your Love, looks young, but somewhat ordinary

Sunburst - I saw Hendrix use one and this looks good with SRV songs

Black - suits EC's Old Love and John Mayer but looks weird if I play SRV or Hendrix

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know all of us go through hard decisions like this!!
oh yeah and if you add a tortoise pickguard to a white strat it looks super classic but cool
Not sure if srs...

Pick the colour that you like the look of most.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
You're making it seem like the colour's gonna change the way the song sounds when you're playing it.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
arctic white with maple fretboard......just curious how is this your first guitar if you've been a member of UG since january 2009
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
It's not like there is any colour that better than another. Opinions are like arseholes... they don't mean shit.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Koshman32
You're making it seem like the colour's gonna change the way the song sounds when you're playing it.

I know it does sounds silly, but I get where he's coming from. In my alternative rock band I use my white Les Paul but when I play in my indie band I use my sunburst Les Paul because playing indie music on a white Les Paul just doesn't feel or look right to me.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Since when are songs color-coordinated?
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
wtf man. just pick a colour u like. it's about what u like not what looks good with certain songs. i've seen ppl play SRV with black strats. nothing wrong with that. I've seen ppl play SRV with Les Pauls , nothing wrong with that. If u like it, then thats all that matters.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
wtf man. just pick a colour u like. it's about what u like not what looks good with certain songs. i've seen ppl play SRV with black strats. nothing wrong with that. I've seen ppl play SRV with Les Pauls , nothing wrong with that. If u like it, then thats all that matters.

than would you play SRV with a pink strat? i guess not...

i'm talking about the mood of your guitar and the music
Quote by Karpet King
arctic white with maple fretboard......just curious how is this your first guitar if you've been a member of UG since january 2009

i play an acoustic now
i did say electric guitar
your personal identity as a musician should transcend genres and encompass all of the styles of music you enjoy playing. You should choose a look that is "YOU"; not a look that corresponds most with specific styles. It's only logical that if you're a very green person that the colour green is probably the best "middle point" of all the styles of music you enjoy.

And if you're not sure what colour "you" are, then:
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by rock0n247
than would you play SRV with a pink strat? i guess not...

i'm talking about the mood of your guitar and the music

i wouldn't because i dont like the color pink. but if i did like pink, i wouldn't mind playing SRV with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQvz4R9xzBU

he's playing a pink strat but it doesn't affect the music in anyway. if he likes a pink strat, then who gives a shit about what other thinks or color matching the song.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Gothic Black with grey skulls across the body, a pickguard with pigs blood all over it, a neck with a human spine carved into it, and paint satanic smiles on your pickups. Take a dead monkey skull and slam it on top of the neck, so that it looked like you murdered a primate with your sharpened stake-Fender. Seriously man, nothing screams blues like that.

On a more serious note though, man, does it matter? My Soloist is all black and I can play anything I want it. Even pop music. I think this is a case of overthinking things.
Yeah
Quote by TehDutchDude
Gothic Black with grey skulls across the body, a pickguard with pigs blood all over it, a neck with a human spine carved into it, and paint satanic smiles on your pickups. Take a dead monkey skull and slam it on top of the neck, so that it looked like you murdered a primate with your sharpened stake-Fender. Seriously man, nothing screams blues like that.

This post contains win.

Aaaaaanyways, didn't Hendrix use a black Strat? O_o Black's always good, but it might be a little on the generic side(everyone and their dog has a black Strat-shaped guitar now)...I'd go for cream, but I don't think they make those anymore.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
If you're a purist, go for sunburst with maple scale for sure. Those were the first guitars made by Fender, in 1954. Other colors than sunburst only came 1 or 2 years later, along with rosewood scales.

You can't go more classic than playing one of this beauties:

'89 Fender Stratocaster MIJ
Vintage Noiseless Trio
Kahler Bridge
Locking Nut
'99 Epiphone Les Paul Standard MIK
DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge)
Boss ME70
Sennheiser HD 201
if you can't pick a color then i don't think you're ready for a guitar yet...
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
white with a white pickguard, knobs, and pickup covers. maple neck, but rosewood would look amazing too (and the feel / playability should be more important than the looks of maple )
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Pitch black satin finished body, black hardware and an ebony fretboard without inlays. Then you're read for some BR0000000tal METAL!!

No, wait, was this thread about some stratocaster? Forget what I said. You obviously need the one that looks "twangiest". Because, after all strats are really twangy. They sound nice and twangyish with their twangy single coils. Some twangy action there, man. Go for it!
Quote by GangsterLi
I know it does sounds silly, but I get where he's coming from. In my alternative rock band I use my white Les Paul but when I play in my indie band I use my sunburst Les Paul because playing indie music on a white Les Paul just doesn't feel or look right to me.

I've seen people with B.C. Rich's and other pointy guitars play blues and other genres that you would normally never see a guitar like that in. It should all come down to the feel of the guitar first, then if you can, and if there's multiple colors to choose from, pick the way the guitar looks. You can always paint or add graphics later on during the guitars life.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
black sounds the best for br00tz
white sounds best for blues
burst sounds best for classic rock
solid primaries are the most versatile.

Are you serious?

IMO go with Artic White or find some other rare finish. Unique is sweet. Make sure you get HSS btw.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I'd suggest Lake Placid Blue with a rosewood fretboard.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
If you have to ask what color you need I vote for pink. Nasty peptobismol pink. Rock on pinky!!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I'd say white. Very few people use a plain white Strat these days, most use an off-white/light cream colour, or they ruin it with a tortoise pickguard and black plastic parts. White/white/white with an all-maple neck looks damn nice no matter what you play.

Though I do genuinely agree with several people that pink would be a better choice. Rare as balls and nobody will dare talk shit about someone who plays a pink guitar and plays well.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'd say white. Very few people use a plain white Strat these days, most use an off-white/light cream colour, or they ruin it with a tortoise pickguard and black plastic parts. White/white/white with an all-maple neck looks damn nice no matter what you play.

Though I do genuinely agree with several people that pink would be a better choice. Rare as balls and nobody will dare talk shit about someone who plays a pink guitar and plays well.

i agree with your post!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by MrFlibble
White/white/white with an all-maple neck looks damn nice no matter what you play.

This

Quote by MrFlibble

and this.

It's tough. But if you can't jizz with pink then go white.
Red, white, black, or sunburst. They work for most anything.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Quote by siverstorm

It's tough. But if you can't jizz with pink then go white.
This may be the closest I've come to wanting to sig something on U-G.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

Fuck you.

TS - just get a sunburst and stop worrying about it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb