I am about to buy a practice amp and would like some comment on the Peavey Vypyr 15 compared to the Line 6 Spider 4 15 watt

I am not looking for absolute punch, rather a machine which is versatile in the various sounds it can generate, faithful to the tone of the guitar being used and able to cope with being knocked around.

The Line 6 is just a splash cheaper about a $25 difference in the 2.

I like the sound of both of them and both seem to do a shitload of things. The Peavey has a tuner built-in, sort of worth $25.

Thanks
with having to buy the pedal for the peavy I'd say just take the spider. If you get the pedal free then to me they are both pretty equal.

At the end of the day their both practice amps. Both sounded good to my ears.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
The general feeling towards Line 6 amps around here is that they're pretty awful. The Vypyrs, on the other hand, are rather well liked. So based on that sentiment, I would say splash out and get the Peavey.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Post this in GG&A, but before you do I'll save you the trouble; Vypyr.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
spiders are critisized for their lack of versatility, which is true in my opinion.

vypyrs on the otherhand excel in this area. i'd say you should splash extra cash for the extra effects knob and get the 30w
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Spiders are alright, but you can get much more from a vypyr. Also a Spider's distortion is all digital-ish sounding, especially if you use it as a low volume practice amp.
No one can really help you on this matter. You must try the amps yourself and see what you like since taste is really subjective.

Some might say "-well if you like this amp you´ve got to improve your ear/pitch", this is a very immature and stupid comment, you would never of course put extra money on something unless you dont see any difference for yourself right? You are the one playing the amp, not someone on the internet

The reviews on both vypyr and spider are almost 8-9 out of 10 on almost everything so its not a bad amp. It _may_ be a bad amp if you compare it with some huge marshall stack. Its all about what you´re used to!

Someone who´s been driving a ferrari several years may never really like driving anything else afterwards ( that´s mostly the reason people here dislike spiders/vypyrs)

I really like the spider 4 because of the presets and the great sound based on its price. The vypyr is good aswell, tried that one but it was almost the same, a peavey bandit ss was better in sound , but I found myself playing with the knobs too much getting the sound I wanted
sweden on tour
Last edited by guskarlw at Aug 4, 2010,
Vypyr. I bought the 75. And after much fiddling I can get good tones out of it... but I'm replacing it within the next 2 months. Why? Trade in is gonna run out, not because I'm sick of it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Vypyr
The spider sounds too digital to me and hasn't got the range of the Vypyr
It's all about what you like really. The spider is too digital. I own a Spider III 15 and would prefer to have had a Vypyr. Now that i have a halfstack (even though its SS) it makes me realise how rubbish the spider sounded.
Definitely the Vypyr. I have a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt sitting under my desk here, I still use it occasionally if I want to mess around while I'm browsing the internet, but my Vypyr is just a much better amp in every aspect.

One thing to consider also is resale value. Chances are you will want to upgrade sometime, and the Vypyr is going to have a better sale value than the Spider.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1