This guitar is one of Schecter's newer models, and I wanted to get some opinions about it.
Here's the link to check it out:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C7-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=584533

I play a lot of styles that range from jazz to extreme metal, but I'm concerned about this guitar's performance in the latter as well as shred in terms of tone mainly and I heard that the pickup combination isn't that good for metal. I'll be using it with a Line 6 POD XT Live and the amp is usually a Roland Cube 15 practice amp. As far as playing stuff similar to the material of Paul Gilbert, Nile, and Behemoth for example, do you think this guitar would be a good choice?
Last edited by Amer91 at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by Amer91
This guitar is one of Schecter's newer models, and I wanted to get some opinions about it.
Here's the link to check it out:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C7-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=584533

I play a lot of styles that range from jazz to extreme metal, but I'm concerned about this guitar's performance in the latter as well as shred in terms of tone mainly. I'll be using it with a Line 6 POD XT Live and the amp is usually a Roland Cube 15 practice amp. As far as playing stuff similar to the material of Paul Gilbert, Nile, and Behemoth for example, do you think this guitar would be a good choice?

That's what it was made for I suppose. It will make a difference only with whatever amp you're using.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Hell yeah!

My Hellraiser C-7 is slightly different, but let me just say that youre gonna find it hard to get any guitar around that price as versatile and delicious.
I know you asked about the guitar, but a new amp will show much more of an upgrade than the guitar.

But if they haven't changed in build quality since '08, it'll be a quality guitar. Schecters are usually pretty versatile, and I don't see a 7-string not being made with metal in mind. Either way, a good set of new pickups are no more than $200.
As far as playing stuff similar to the material of Paul Gilbert, Nile, and Behemoth for example, do you think this guitar would be a good choice?

Dead-on perfect.
Those are active pickups, too. Well, active JB/'59's, actually.

@That Jeep Guy
The JB can play metal. 'Nuff said.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Those are active pickups, too. Well, active JB/'59's, actually.

@That Jeep Guy
The JB can play metal. 'Nuff said.

I didn't read the details on it, but I know the sets Schecter used and I was just saying that even stock Duncan Designs do the job fine.

But yeah, those will do just fine.
Won't you want jumbo frets to play shreddy stuff? I mean doesnt it make it easier/more comfortable? This one has mediums.....
Seems rather solid.. but are those pickups really active? The back of the guitar in some pictures shows no battery compartment. Neither does the Schecter site suggest that they were. Just "SH-4 and SH-1n7" or something like that.

But as for your needs, seems like the perfect buy :}
Quote by That Jeep Guy
I didn't read the details on it, but I know the sets Schecter used and I was just saying that even stock Duncan Designs do the job fine.

But yeah, those will do just fine.

They're real Duncans, not Duncan Designs. You should read before posting.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
They're real Duncans, not Duncan Designs. You should read before posting.

I know what a JB/'59 set is.
Quote by That Jeep Guy
I know what a JB/'59 set is.

That's awesome, I do too. I have them in the guitar a foot away from me. However, the pickups in the C-7 Custom are Active Seymour Duncan SH-4 7 (a JB-7) and Seymour Duncan SH-1 7 (a '59-7). They are not "stock Duncan Designs."
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
That's awesome, I do too. I have them in the guitar a foot away from me. However, the pickups in the C-7 Custom are Active Seymour Duncan SH-4 7 (a JB-7) and Seymour Duncan SH-1 7 (a '59-7). They are not "stock Duncan Designs."

I don't get why you're bent out of shape about this... I never said they were Duncan Designs. I said that even if they were, it'd handle metal fine. How you took that to mean that they ARE Duncan Designs, I do not know.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
New amp might help you more than that guitar.

A new amp is out of the question; my Roland is all I need for practice, and I get my tone from my multieffect pedal.
the only opinion you are going to get about schecters in this forum is "dude they are awesommmezz"

newer schecters IMO arent as good as the old ones..feels toyish to me
Quote by coolstoryangus
^damn straight

That site has the pickups listed wrong or the wrong picture.

Those are the same pickups listed on the Schecter website.
the site, for some unknown reason, has added 2 totally wrong words
those words are
"active"
and
"designed"
the pick-ups in the C-7 Custom are Seymour Duncan SH-4-7 (7 String JB model), and SH-1n-7 (7 String 59 model), which are passive pick-ups
this guitar would be very versatile, so I suggest you go out and try it A.S.A.P
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
Alright, well there's one more thing I'd like to be sure of; would it be possible to play legato and 8-finger tapping comfortably with the medium frets (especially beyond the 12th fret)?
Quote by Amer91
Alright, well there's one more thing I'd like to be sure of; would it be possible to play legato and 8-finger tapping comfortably with the medium frets (especially beyond the 12th fret)?

If YOU can do it i'm pretty sure you'll be able to do it comfortably on that guitar