I'm looking for a new amp for practice (My Vox vt30 broke down, plus I don't really like the sound of that amp). I will be using a Boss GT-10 for distortion and effects, so all I really need is for the amp to play very clean. Can the ac4tv do this, or are there better options out there?
- I don't want a big tube amp (30/50/100 watt). Those are way too loud for my bedroom, and they cost a fortune most of the time.
- I don't see the point of getting a digital amp with all those cheap effects and stuff included when I'm not going to use them at all.

Hope you guys can help Thanks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You don't like ANY of the models on the VT30? Was the VT30 under warranty (IE, when did you buy it?)?

What kind of tones are ones that you DO LIKE? This will help us figure out if the AC4TV is voiced right for your needs.

I didn't mean I don't like the vt30 as a standalone amp... I just don't like how it sounds with the GT-10 connected.

I have all my desired tones on the GT10, so all I need is an amp that can play clean and that goes well with pedals.

If what tones I do like makes any difference, my cleansound is a Metallica style clean with chorus and a little delay, lead is a high gain distortion with a powerful reverb, and my riff/rhythm is a high gain (higher than the lead sound). So I guess all my tones really are Metallica style.

And finally, don't know if it matters, but my guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

That should make it easier to help me I hope

Thanks
I know the Vox AC30 (the AC4s big brother) is killer for clean tones. I also know the AC4, AC15 and AC30 all sound quite different so I'm not sure how cleans will be. I think the AC4 can get nasal and boxy sounding too, but with the head version and a different cab, I think that'll be fixed!

I think the AC4 is a good choice - assuming it fits your style
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
The cleans on the AC4 are great. I've noticed that it and many other low wattage tube amps get muddy when they are cranked up too high. That's alright if you're just using it for cleans or slight overdrive. You could use a nice dirt pedal, though. You might want to look at different amps if you want higher gain, though.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Perhaps you should get an amp with a good amount of clean headroom, and an effects loop.

Simply plug in your GT-10 into the return of the effects loop, so you bypass the preamp, and it doesn't affect your presets on the GT-10.

Have any suggestions for an amp like that?

Thanks
Quote by patbuck2
The cleans on the AC4 are great. I've noticed that it and many other low wattage tube amps get muddy when they are cranked up too high. That's alright if you're just using it for cleans or slight overdrive. You could use a nice dirt pedal, though. You might want to look at different amps if you want higher gain, though.

Wohoo ! Sounds great. And like I said I will only be using it clean with the GT-10 doing the distortion and everything else. Think I'm getting this amp. Just too bad I can't get the head/cab version in my country (No ac4tvh sellers on Ebay ships to Norway). I'll just get the combo version
I'm also considering the Night Train, but with that letting the amp do more work than just staying clean. I would use it for distortion too, and only let the GT-10 do Chorus, Delay, Reverb and wah (And the looper is always good for creating solos to my songs or work out a harmony).
Quote by Frodax
Wohoo ! Sounds great. And like I said I will only be using it clean with the GT-10 doing the distortion and everything else. Think I'm getting this amp. Just too bad I can't get the head/cab version in my country (No ac4tvh sellers on Ebay ships to Norway). I'll just get the combo version

Sounds good. I recommend trying it out before you buy it, though.
hey try it first, because the ac4tv cranks easy and if you put the volume a little bit high usig delay it will not definitly sound good... unless you want to play at low volume withought giving the gain from the tubes of the ac4tv... if not, search an amp with an efect loof which wont affect your sound.
Quote by Frodax
I'm also considering the Night Train, but with that letting the amp do more work than just staying clean. I would use it for distortion too, and only let the GT-10 do Chorus, Delay, Reverb and wah (And the looper is always good for creating solos to my songs or work out a harmony).

Night Train is an awesome sounding amp, but keep in mind that it's a single channel amp. To go from the clean to the dirty channel you'd have to switch the toggle on the amp with your hand; there is no foot controller. Also keep in mind that when you engage the Thick mode on the Night Train (the distortion setting), it bypasses the amp's EQ settings, so you have no fine control of your tone. Just pure, tube-driven distortion which you can dial in to have tons of gain. The thick mode sounds good, but I prefer being able to tweak the EQ on my amp. This is one of the reasons I sold my NT. It also doesn't have an effects loop. Overall the NT is an incredible amp for high-gain classic rock and some types of metal, with awesome cleans, but for the price you can do much better.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Night Train is an awesome sounding amp, but keep in mind that it's a single channel amp. To go from the clean to the dirty channel you'd have to switch the toggle on the amp with your hand; there is no foot controller. Also keep in mind that when you engage the Thick mode on the Night Train (the distortion setting), it bypasses the amp's EQ settings, so you have no fine control of your tone. Just pure, tube-driven distortion which you can dial in to have tons of gain. The thick mode sounds good, but I prefer being able to tweak the EQ on my amp. This is one of the reasons I sold my NT. It also doesn't have an effects loop. Overall the NT is an incredible amp for high-gain classic rock and some types of metal, with awesome cleans, but for the price you can do much better.

I just thought the NT sounded so awesome. Having to adjust the gain and stuff to get distortion is not a problem, but can it do a clean that is less sharp? Like a good cleantone for adding a distortion pedal on?

Thanks
Quote by Frodax
I just thought the NT sounded so awesome. Having to adjust the gain and stuff to get distortion is not a problem, but can it do a clean that is less sharp? Like a good cleantone for adding a distortion pedal on?

Thanks

Yea, it does sound great. Not quite sure what you're asking; what is a clean that is "less than sharp"?

Maybe this will help. The tones I really liked on it were:

Bright Mode
Gain: 8-9 O'Clock
Volume: Cranked
This was an amazing clean. The NT won't give you an AC chimy clean, but this is pretty damn close, probably as close as you'll get without dropping a lot more cash.

Bright Mode
Gain: 3-4 O'Clock
Volume: at least 12 O'clock.
This gave you some nice tube breakup, but it was still smooth. I think this is the tone you're talking about. You can throw an OD or EQ in front for a boost. Cleans up really well if you roll your guitar's volume knob down.

Thick Mode
Gain: All the Way
Volume: Anywhere, depending on how loud you want to go.
This is on thick mode, so you have no control over your EQ. Still sounds great, but even if you want to tweak it a bit, you can't without an EQ pedal or something. Awesome for heavier stuff, but if you have the Gain below 12 O'Clock on the Thick mode it's hard to get a nice sound out of it. It sounds sort of dead.

These were the 3 main tones I would dial in with my NT. They all sound great, and there are some more good tones in between them, especially if you're OK with rolling your guitar's volume and tone knobs around. Definitely play one before you buy; try out these tones and mess around to see what you like/dislike about it. All in all, it's a great little amp and if I had never met the Tweaker, I would still have it today. Keep in mind that it is NOT a cheap way to get AC15 or AC30 tones, and you can do much better for the price, especially in terms of versatility.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
If you are going to go as high as a NT I would suggest getting an amp with an FX loop. You will be better off running the GT-10 into the FX return than going through the preamp.

If you are going to stay on the cheap end like the AC4TV, I would suggest going with something with a bigger speaker. I still think the $250 Vjr head/cab is a good deal and a good sounding setup for running a pedalboard or a multifx. The AC4TV could be just as good if you got an external cab. I haven't used an AC4 so I can't comment. I have compared the HT-5 clean channel against the Vjr using a pedalboard for distortion and FX, and the Vjr has equal tone for less money.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Yea, it does sound great. Not quite sure what you're asking; what is a clean that is "less than sharp"?

Bright Mode
This was an amazing clean. The NT won't give you an AC chimy clean, but this is pretty damn close, probably as close as you'll get without dropping a lot more cash.

Bright Mode
This gave you some nice tube breakup, but it was still smooth. I think this is the tone you're talking about. You can throw an OD or EQ in front for a boost. Cleans up really well if you roll your guitar's volume knob down.

Thick Mode
This is on thick mode, so you have no control over your EQ. Still sounds great, but even if you want to tweak it a bit, you can't without an EQ pedal or something. Awesome for heavier stuff, but if you have the Gain below 12 O'Clock on the Thick mode it's hard to get a nice sound out of it. It sounds sort of dead.

These were the 3 main tones I would dial in with my NT. They all sound great, and there are some more good tones in between them, especially if you're OK with rolling your guitar's volume and tone knobs around. Definitely play one before you buy; try out these tones and mess around to see what you like/dislike about it. All in all, it's a great little amp and if I had never met the Tweaker, I would still have it today. Keep in mind that it is NOT a cheap way to get AC15 or AC30 tones, and you can do much better for the price, especially in terms of versatility.

Ok, nevermind about that "less sharp" thing. I want a cleantone that will do good alone and with a distortion pedal on it, if you know what I mean.
Maybe also look at the Fender Blues Jr. That things made for pedals! I mean come on, Gearmanndude has one.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

Bright Mode

Bright Mode

Thick Mode

Ok, just one more question. No reviewers on Youtube are using the matching Vox cabinet... Is there something I should know about this cab? Is it not very good or something?
Quote by Frodax
Ok, just one more question. No reviewers on Youtube are using the matching Vox cabinet... Is there something I should know about this cab? Is it not very good or something?

I bought my NT with the cab that goes with the AC4, so maybe someone else who owns one could help out. The NT cab is decent. It's a 1x12 with a Celestion Greenback speaker. These speakers are great for classic rock sounds, but to my ear a 2x12 sounds so much better. This is one of the reasons the videos don't use the NT cab; they usually have the NT hooked into a 2x12. It won't be louder because your output is still 15W (or 7.5W in triode mode), but it sounds "fuller".

Most of the videos online also use higher end Vox cabs, which come with much better speakers (Celestion Alnico Blues in the V212H, for example). 2x12 cabs with nice speakers like the Alnicos will sound so much better than the NT cab, which is probably why the YouTube reviews use the higher end cabs. The reviews made by Vox and Pro Guitar Shop were made to make the amp sound as good as possible, because they're trying to sell their product. So obviously they're going to use the best equipment to get the best possible sound. Hope this helps.

And to answer your other question, this amp took my Dano Blue Paisley OD pedal well. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an FX loop and won't take certain effects like reverb and delay as well in front of the amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I bought my NT with the cab that goes with the AC4, so maybe someone else who owns one could help out. The NT cab is decent. It's a 1x12 with a Celestion Greenback speaker. These speakers are great for classic rock sounds, but to my ear a 2x12 sounds so much better. This is one of the reasons the videos don't use the NT cab; they usually have the NT hooked into a 2x12. It won't be louder because your output is still 15W (or 7.5W in triode mode), but it sounds "fuller".

Most of the videos online also use higher end Vox cabs, which come with much better speakers (Celestion Alnico Blues in the V212H, for example). 2x12 cabs with nice speakers like the Alnicos will sound so much better than the NT cab, which is probably why the YouTube reviews use the higher end cabs. The reviews made by Vox and Pro Guitar Shop were made to make the amp sound as good as possible, because they're trying to sell their product. So obviously they're going to use the best equipment to get the best possible sound. Hope this helps.

And to answer your other question, this amp took my Dano Blue Paisley OD pedal well. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an FX loop and won't take certain effects like reverb and delay as well in front of the amp.

So if my cash lets me, I should go for a different cabinet with that 2x12 speaker thing?
Quote by Frodax
So if my cash lets me, I should go for a different cabinet with that 2x12 speaker thing?

Ok, my cash does not let me get a different cab. I will go to a music store and ask to try this amp with the matching cab and a guitar that is the same model as mine
Quote by forsaknazrael
Will the Night Train have enough clean headroom for you?
It's only 15 watts, gets distorted at levels loud enough for drummers/gigs.

This thing stays clean for a looong time, as long as you keep the gain below 12 O'clock. Should be good enough to get over a drummer, although it may start to break up a bit.

To the TS:

Check out Avatar cabs. You're going to drop $150-$250 for a 1x12, so you might as well spend an extra $100 and get a nice Avatar loaded with good speakers. It'll be better than most for that price.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58