I've read about amp simulator software that you can download on your laptop. I was wondering if any of you use this?

I want to be able to play at night without waking up my parents or sister, and i dont like using headphones in my amp since it sounds weird/muffled

I was wondering if any of you use any of these amp-simulator software. If you do could you suggest me one that's free

I dont know if this is relevent but i play metal so if you can suggest one that can handel good metal distortions i would also appreciate it.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Amp simulation software (especially free ones) is probably going to sound worse than using your headphones. I have garageband, and no matter how much fiddling I do with the EQ, it still sounds super muddy. You're much better off just using your headphones or buying a headphone amp.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I've never used real-time ones, which I think is what you're talking about. But I've used them in recording situations where I've DI-ed a guitar part, then used amp simulation. VoxengoBoogex has been great for me (Although I don't often use the standard impules it has).

In theory, it could run in real time. But it would mean having a DAW, setting it up to record, then having Boogex as an effect on the channel your input is going to. Even then, you still might get latency issues.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
To avoid latency you can get an interface like Line 6 Pod Studio GX which is dirt cheap and comes with Pod Farm, an amp simulator software. With it you can load up a DAW, which enables usage of tonnes of other amp simulator plugins. And to TS and smartalec007, there are some free VST amp sims which are way better than commercial ones and do a quite decent job at simulating real amps. Acmebargig and Lepou are the top free amp sim programmers so do check them out. Bear in mind that you need a cabinet sim plugin. Learn more at guitarampmodeling.com
Two bands I'm obsessed about : Coheed and Cambria.
Disregard the two first replies, they're clearly spewing nothing but uneducated fallacies. Before I go on though, I will have to ask the original poster, do you have a digital interface?
Quote by wicked_hobbit
To avoid latency you can get an interface like Line 6 Pod Studio GX which is dirt cheap and comes with Pod Farm, an amp simulator software. With it you can load up a DAW, which enables usage of tonnes of other amp simulator plugins. And to TS and smartalec007, there are some free VST amp sims which are way better than commercial ones and do a quite decent job at simulating real amps. Acmebargig and Lepou are the top free amp sim programmers so do check them out. Bear in mind that you need a cabinet sim plugin. Learn more at guitarampmodeling.com

Do this. All free amp modellers you try will have better performance and you also get the pod farm with it which IMO is good.
Ok thanks guys ill check the ones wicked_hobbit suggested
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Thanks for the Props Wicked_Hobbit and CoolStoryAngus...Its nice to know that you guys are liking our work.

100% Metal, your new to this, so feel free to write me anytime about any of our products. I'm Ken one of the developers on these VST plugins. Anyways, I just wanted to add to what wicked_hobbit said in that our ampsim suite Shred comes with built in Cabinets, and effects. That may take some of the learning curve off and get you started a little faster, once you have that down pat, then by all means experiment with loading single heads and different effects chains...

You'll need a DAW, I always suggest Reaper and Acoustica Mixcraft...Both are available online..
Then simply go to our website, or LePou's who happens to be a great friend of ours as well, and download some amp sims..
Once you get that down, I wouldlike to invite you and anyone else who wants to join you to come and be part of our Beta test of the new Shred Suite 1.5x...Its happening now..
Free of course..

Anyways good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask..It does not matter how noob the questions are either, we all started somewhere, you were not born with a daw and a VST in your hands...haha
KM

EDIT:

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation, which is a multi-track recording software
Last edited by JohnnyMcFly at Aug 4, 2010,
clicky!

there are quite a few good amp sims for free, or cheap. shred is one that i often use for practice. with recordings i usually end up bypassing the cab sim and using CatharsisStudio's impulses in kefir, but shred sounds great when playing along with songs or just jamming. doesnt always sit well in a full mix though, or at least mine (sorry Ken )

i run amp sims a lot more than i run my amps. they sound good, are easy to use, and keep the volume down. the one thing i will suggest is that you spend the money on a good audio interface. even the cheapest are going to run you $80-100. plugging straight into the sound card doesnt sound good, and can end up being bad for your gear. i highly suggest going the propper route and getting an interface.
Quote by smartalec007
Amp simulation software (especially free ones) is probably going to sound worse than using your headphones. I have garageband, and no matter how much fiddling I do with the EQ, it still sounds super muddy. You're much better off just using your headphones or buying a headphone amp.

The guitars in this song were all tracked straight into Garageband amp sims. Doesn't sound bad to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbV75vd2pdE
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
haha Thanks jof1029, Go get the latest beta already! haha

In terms of that Link...dreampin still doesn't have a reference to abg there...I'm gonna see if he is on msn..haha

Mortified_Lizard, that sounded fine!
Does Garageband come for MAC OS running on a PC? or is it strictly a MAC product? Also does it load VST?

Thanks
KM
Check out these free amp/pedal VSTs

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

I don't use them cause they are nowhere near as good as paid VSTs like Pod Farm, Guitar Rig etc. The JCM900 model is pretty nice to me.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by 100%
Ok thanks guys ill check the ones wicked_hobbit suggested
+1 on the Pod Studio/TonePort for this application. You get the guitar->computer interface plus the amp/fx sim all in one package for a decent price.