hi, I have been on the edge about getting this program to help me with my guitar, but i'm not sure if I should get it. It looks pretty high quality, but I would love to hear some 1st hand experiences. I think it is kind of dumb you have to pay to upgrade though

thanks a lot
Eh, GP5 is better, having used both. Far less annoying to use. Problem is I don't think you can buy GP5 any more.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've been using guitar pro since GP3
I bought GP6 2 weeks ago, and I have a few comments

if you have used the old versions, the new one is gonna be confusing, because they revamped the whole thing, it looks like a totally different program. HOwever, it looks great.
There are a lot lot lot of features, a lot of new features that are great great great

It is an amazing program if you ask me. It lets you write tabs, play them back, write scores for keyboards and other instruments, play it all together, the new RSE doesn't have to load every time you want to play a song, it sounds better, you can customize your guitar signal (choose what guitar it is, which pickups it uses --bridge, neck, middle, bridge+middle, bridge+neck--, make a pedal chain and choose what amp it goes through.

Additionally, you have a scale dictionnary, a chord dictionnary, it can export instantly to PDF, MIDI, .wav, you have a tuner in there also...

for 60 bucks, it really is a very very very full program, and it's worth every penny

edit: ^I really did like the 5 better when I bought the 6, and I almost regretted upgrading, but now that I'm used to it, I'm glad I got it. The only real drawback is that you can't write synth lines in tablature any more...
Last edited by Darkflame at Aug 4, 2010,
Cant you just get tuxguitar for free?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Cant you just get tuxguitar for free?

This. It's all I'll ever need as far as tablature software goes, I don't need it to play the freaking guitar through a mesa boogie and 50 goddamn effects pedals for me. But I guess it can be fun to play around with the effects if you can stand the horrible dynamics of midi guitars.
I torrented GP5. And it gets the job done. The RSE engine sounds that are in some tabs absolutely blow, though.
I don't get why everyone's confused... I went from 5 to 6, and I think it was a much-needed change after seeing the previous versions (never really used them). I think it sounds better, looks better, and being able to have multiple projects in one window's great.

Yes. GP6 is worth it.
I have tux guitar, but I kind of want something a bit more. Tux guitar feels very unpolished.
Quote by TH3M4PPL3S_
I have tux guitar, but I kind of want something a bit more. Tux guitar feels very unpolished.

What more could you possibly need? Name three features that you absolutely need to become a better guitarist that GP6 has, that Tuxguitar does not have.
Last edited by Ascendant at Aug 4, 2010,
Tuxguitar is alright.
GP6 is better but if you're looking for something free I deffinatly think Tux will do the job.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by Ascendant
What more could you possibly need? Name three features that you absolutely need to become a better guitarist that GP6 has, that Tuxguitar does not have.

The main problem that i had with tux was that it kept crashing my computer! So, I've got GP6 ordered from Amazon. i'll find out whether it was worth it in a few days.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
The main problem that i had with tux was that it kept crashing my computer! So, I've got GP6 ordered from Amazon. i'll find out whether it was worth it in a few days.

Computer? OS? Processor? RAM? What version/build/platform of tuxguitar? There are several different versions, some run on tha java platform while others don't need java.

Quote by TH3M4PPL3S_
It just looks like it is better quality then tux (and the printing sucks in tux)

Meh, I guess I can't argue with that. If you think that a better interface is worth 60$ then nobody's going to stop you.
Last edited by Ascendant at Aug 4, 2010,
I think its worth the price, i had gp5 and tried the gp6 demo and decided to buy it. Mainly because instead of having 20 windows open of guitar pro like i usually had in gp5, it combined it all into the 1 window, so that i could easily switch between song tabs within the program, instead of having to try to find the right window..

i know you probably dont' know what i'm saying, but if you have both gp5 and 6 you will understand what i'm saying..

also it looks better..i know that's not a big deal..but hey if your looking at something for a while every day it may as well look good and organized
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
you might not NEED all the features included in gp6 that there are in tux guitars, but for 60 bucks sincerely, you can't go wrong, it's very unexpensive. And even if you don't need all the features, they are quite nice to have.
same thing as guitar actually, you could do fine using a generic guitar into a generic modeling amp, yet so many guitarists prefer the customization and additionnal features you can get with an actual tube amp and an actual pedalboard
I've used Guitar Pro from version 4 and as has been said already, it's a re-learning in many respects but it still does everything it did and more, whilst looking cool as fuck.

Tuxguitar is ok but I found way too many things missing or not editable enough for my liking.

Thing is, now I have Sibelius, I'll doubt I'll ever use Guitar Pro again.
404: Sig not found.
Theres nothing reallly special about it... your better off just learning tabs and using a pen and paper.
Quote by ChrisN
I've used Guitar Pro from version 4 and as has been said already, it's a re-learning in many respects but it still does everything it did and more, whilst looking cool as fuck.

Tuxguitar is ok but I found way too many things missing or not editable enough for my liking.

Thing is, now I have Sibelius, I'll doubt I'll ever use Guitar Pro again.

Sibelius is great for everything BUT guitar; it's funny that way. Writing guitar with it is a royal pain in the ass.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Sibelius is great for everything BUT guitar; it's funny that way. Writing guitar with it is a royal pain in the ass.
No way! Really? I find it far easier than with GP.
I wouldn't be surprised if you can torrent it. Not that I am suggesting that or anything.
Quote by Ascendant
Computer? OS? Processor? RAM? What version/build/platform of tuxguitar? There are several different versions, some run on tha java platform while others don't need java.

Thing is, it kept crashing my old laptop, wouldn't install on the family home PC, and I kind of gave up on it after that. I'm actually using a completely different homebuilt PC now, but my prior experiences with tuxguitar really put me off it!
Quote by ChrisN
No way! Really? I find it far easier than with GP.

I dunno, maybe I'm more used to Guitar Pro but Sibelius was really hard for me to use. Obviously mileages vary.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I dunno, maybe I'm more used to Guitar Pro but Sibelius was really hard for me to use.
More than likely, I had a similar experience the first time moving from Paint Shop Pro to Photoshop; couldn't get along with it at all!

I've been kinda forced to teach myself Sibelius though; it's going to be a large part of my composition classes when I start university.
Well, Guitar Pro 6 supports 8-string guitars. I use GP5 for most everything, but I have the occasional GP6 file for 8-string support.

They should have just gave GP5 8-string support and fixed the RSE memory leak.
For just reading tabs and not seriously composing i found GP6 wasnt really an improvement or worth the cash.

But i just torrented it anyway, it looks neater, doesnt crash, and lets you have multiple tabs open in one window, it doesnt use all of your pc memory when using tabs with like 10 instruments, as well as that the RSE is better. But i wouldnt pay $60 for it.

I havent tried composing with it though.
Quote by Dayn
Well, Guitar Pro 6 supports 8-string guitars. I use GP5 for most everything, but I have the occasional GP6 file for 8-string support.

They should have just gave GP5 8-string support and fixed the RSE memory leak.

Explain plz, I'm curious now.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I didnt like it at all. It seemed too complicated and it crashed when I tried to export the drum file alone. Plus the built in effects suck of course.

You dont need more than GP5 to learn a few tabs.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!