Page 1 of 4
Gibson.com’s Top 50 Guitar Albums of All Time
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/top-50-guitar-albums-0730/

1. Van Halen, Van Halen (1978)
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced (1967)
3. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
4. Derek and the Dominos, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970)
5. Guns N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction (1987)
6. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II (1969)
7. The Allman Brothers Band, At Fillmore East (1971)
8. Cream, Disraeli Gears (1967)
9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Electric Ladyland (1968)
10. AC/DC, Back in Black (1980)
11. Television, Marquee Moon (1977)
12. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
13. The Who, Live at Leeds (1970)
14. Robert Johnson, King of the Delta Blues Singers (1961)
15. The Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols (1977)
16. Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow (1975)
17. Ozzy Osbourne, Blizzard of Ozz (1980)
18. The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main St. (1972)
19. The Who, Who’s Next (1971)
20. Black Sabbath, Paranoid (1970)
21. Ozzy Osbourne, Diary of a Madman (1981)
22. The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers (1971)
23. Van Halen, Van Halen II (1979)
24. Chuck Berry, The Great Twenty-Eight (1982)
25. The Stooges, Fun House (1970)
26. AC/DC, Highway to Hell (1979)
27. The Beatles, Revolver (1966)
28. Aerosmith, Rocks (1976)
29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin (1969)
30. Oasis, Definitely Maybe (1994)
31. Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Sky is Crying (1991)
32. Lynyrd Skynyrd, One More from the Road (1976)
33. The Beatles, Rubber Soul (1965)
34. The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Inner Mounting Flame (1971)
35. Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Live (1978)
36. John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (1966)
37. Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak (1976)
38. Def Leppard, High ’n’ Dry (1981)
39. Roy Buchanan, Roy Buchanan (1972)
40. The Shadows, Dance with the Shadows (1964)
41. Deep Purple, Machine Head (1972)
42. Jeff Beck, Truth (1968)
43. The White Stripes, Elephant (2003)
44. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Texas Flood (1983)
45. Chuck Berry, Chuck Berry in London (1965)
46. Danny Gatton, 88 Elmira St. (1991)
47. The Wildhearts, Earth vs. The Wildhearts (1993)
48. Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti (1975)
49. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here (1975)
50. David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)

As a huge EVH/Page/Rhoads fan I personally agree with a lot of this list.

EDIT: For those of you complaining about the last one, this list came from the same link, except this one was decided my the readers.

1. The Allman Brothers Band, At Fillmore East
2. Derek and the Dominos, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
3. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II
4. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV
5. Guns N’ Roses, Appetite for Destruction
6. AC/DC, Back in Black
7. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced
8. Voivod, Nothingface
9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Electric Ladyland
10. Van Halen, Van Halen
11. Lynyrd Skynyrd, One More from the Road
12. Patto, Hold Your Fire
13. Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti
14. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon
15. Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow
16. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
17. The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers
18. Cream, Disraeli Gears
19. Metallica, Master of Puppets
20. AC/DC, Highway to Hell
21. Ten Years After, Recorded Live
22. The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main St.
23. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Axis: Bold as Love
24. Steve Vai, Passion and Warfare
25. (tie) John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Blues Breakers Featuring Eric Clapton; Jeff Beck, Truth; Rush, 2112

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Aug 4, 2010,
Seems like a pretty good list actually. No way in hell I would call Van Halen number one, but still...
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Seems like a pretty good list actually. No way in hell I would call Van Halen number one, but still...

Yeah, I was expecting something more along the lines of "Top 50 guitar albums...made using Gibson guitars", but its a decent list...or at least the top 20 or so is.

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Aug 4, 2010,
How the **** does Oasis get on a top 50 best guitar albums... Seriously, G D A C, there's most of Oasis' songs :P.

I'm exagerrating, but they are included over ****ing Rush, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc....
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Like 5 albums from the last 20 years?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Why are the Beatles up there? I mean, its not best albums ever, its best GUITAR albums ever. George and John are excellent songwriters, but excellent guitarists? Maybe, but DEFINITELY not better than someone like Ritchie Blackmore. Also, no shredders such as Jeff Loomis, Joe Satriani, or Paul Gilbert? I can see if they're trying to keep popular guys, but I fail to even see Yngwie.

Also, Oasis and Sex Pistols, although they might be good songwriters and performers, are hardly good guitarists. There's people I know personally that are better guitarists than them...
Last edited by The Shroom420 at Aug 4, 2010,
I think they listed Van Halen because of Eruption, everyone knows how important that track was.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by EMGPWNS
Yeah, I was expecting something more along the lines of "Top 50 guitar albums...made using Gibson guitars", but its a decent list...or at least the top 20 or so is.

Same here.

Generally, it will be a pretty good list if it includes Rubber Soul from The Beatles. It means that they are looking for albums that also revolutionized music, not just ones that sold good (Though Rubber Soul did sell good..)
Quote by The Shroom420
Why are the Beatles up there? I mean, its not best albums ever, its best GUITAR albums ever. George and John are excellent songwriters, but excellent guitarists? Maybe, but DEFINITELY not better than someone like Ritchie Blackmore. Also, no shredders such as Jeff Loomis, Joe Satriani, or Paul Gilbert? I can see if they're trying to keep popular guys, but I fail to even see Yngwie

The Beatles are up there because they were the first people to ever play like that. And I can't believe I even have to say this but: Shredding does not equal talent!
Damn. That list sucks. I could think of a a few hundred albums more influential and impressive for guitar than those.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
The Beatles are up there because they were the first people to ever play like that. And I can't believe I even have to say this but: Shredding does not equal talent!

Shut up.

Enough blues/classic rock, Gibson? Manage to squeeze at least one Holdsworth album before O-****ing-asis and then we'll talk.

Not the worst list, though.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 4, 2010,
But...Van Halen is shit...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by bogeaqyt
Damn. That list sucks. I could think of a a few hundred albums more influential and impressive for guitar than those.

Care to share your wisdom with us?
Quote by rgrockr
I think they listed Van Halen because of Eruption, everyone knows how important that track was.

I'm not sure, the whole album is amazing guitar wise

Good list too. Most of the list contains ones you knew would be on there, but good overall
Quote by TheBurningFish
Shut up.

Enough blues rock, Gibson? Manage to squeeze at least one Holdsworth album before O-****ing-asis and then we'll talk.

Not the worst list, though.

Nobody even knows who the **** Holdsworth is, that's why they aren't on this list. Every person on the list is there because they changed music. What has Holdsworth done that will have guitarists trying to replicated for decades to come?
Last edited by Epicbizzjizz at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by bogeaqyt

Really? You know, to be influential it has to be well known, if you're thinking of some niche death metal band 3 people have heard of it can't be all that influential. I think this list covered the most important influences to modern rock.
Best classical rock albums? Some obvious ones in here, but overall it's still pretty shit. If Oasis and The Sex Pistols are in any list pertaining to guitar skill or talent, then the list if auto-shit.
Nice to see Marquee Moon up high on the list. I think everyone should stop beating off to Hendrix & Page and give Television a spin at least once in while.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Nobody even know's who the **** Holdsworth is, that's why they aren't on this list. Every person on the list is there because they changed music. What has Holdsworth done that will have guitarists trying to replicated for decades to come?

Who gives a shit? I just figure that maybe one album that wasn't almost entirely I-IV-V or I-IV-V-VI would be refreshing (not that Holdsworth hasn't done stuff that isn't still being replicated by musicians).

I didn't realise being the best guitar album was a popularity contest.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Nobody even knows who the **** Holdsworth is, that's why they aren't on this list. Every person on the list is there because they changed music. What has Holdsworth done that will have guitarists trying to replicated for decades to come?

Good job, you made me rage.
Quote by EMGPWNS

Make that top 21 so Diary of a Madman doesn't get left out.
Actually, giving Van Halen credit, they have influenced me greatly...to throw away every riff I write that sounds remotely like their music.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Nice to see Marquee Moon up high on the list. I think everyone should stop beating off to Hendrix & Page and give Television a spin at least once in while.

**** yeah. The only album I really like on the list.

And a band doesnt have to be popular to be influential. Don Caballero, for example.
Quote by TheBurningFish
Who gives a shit? I just figure that maybe one album that wasn't almost entirely I-IV-V or I-IV-V-VI would be refreshing (not that Holdsworth hasn't done stuff that isn't still being replicated by musicians).

Well, you're not going to be popular when you write shitty niche death metal music. Also, could you tell me one artist on that list that uses a I-IV-V or I-IV-V-VI progression?
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Well, you're not going to be popular when you write shitty niche death metal music. Also, could you tell me one artist on that list that uses a I-IV-V or I-IV-V-VI progression?

Um, the Beatles? And probably most of the other ones. Beatles were just first to come to mind.
Quote by TheBurningFish

I think the list was done by a vote, so it IS a popularity contest. Also, these lists aren't made to cater to YOUR unique musical taste.

(not that Holdsworth hasn't done stuff that isn't still being replicated by musicians).

Triple negatives FTW!
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Sorry man, but that is a really stupid statement.

Shredding might not be that entertaining for some people, but you can't deny that it takes a shitload of talent to really shred.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by __Pent__
Make that top 21 so Diary of a Madman doesn't get left out.

HELL YES.

Twas just a number I pulled off the top of my head. I didn't look to see which ones said number pertained to.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz

I would be surprised if every single one hadn't at some point.

But for the sake of argument, let's say Van Halen Oasis and Jimi Hendrix.
Quote by rgrockr
I think the list was done by a vote, so it IS a popularity contest. Also, these lists aren't made to cater to YOUR unique musical taste.

Triple negatives FTW!

I didn't say they were.

Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by dustyboy316
I'm exagerrating, but they are included over ****ing Rush, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc....

STFU.

Speed doesn't = skill.

I do agree with Rush, though. I for one am glad to see Metallica not make the list. I'm surprised they didn't, since most of the time they're tragically overrated.

But... AC/DC? Twice? What the ****, seriously? Power chords and repetition. ANYONE can ****ing do that.

Signature relevant.
|
|
\ /
Quote by nincompoop
STFU.

Speed doesn't = skill.

Speed is actually quite an effective way of showing skill. If somebody can play fast and cleanly then they're pretty skilled in my book. When you start learning guitar you played slowly, don't you? And then as you get better you can play faster music.

What it doesn't show is skill in regards to writing music. But saying speed doesn't show skill is just wrong.
Quote by nincompoop

Speed doesn't = skill.

Uh, yeah it does. Why don't you try it yourself? Then you can really determine whether it takes skill.

Sorry I keep posting about this, but it is just stupid when people say that shredding doesn't take skill or talent.

I can understand why people don't like shredding, but to say that it "doesn't take talent" is just wrong.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Have you even listened to Holdsworth? And I'm sure every band has done it before.

I know this is an alright list for classic rock and all that stuff, and I have no problem with Allan not being on it. But can you please stop talking about shit you don't even know?
no sheer heart attack

come on! think about brighton rock and stone cold crazy!

and no Satch or gilbert or vai....
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Aug 4, 2010,
Page 1 of 4