i wanted to get one and then someone told me that the fret leveling is bad, the pickup rouoting is small and when i will want to change them i wont be able to and that the wood is not that good
is any of this true?
and by the way how is the neck compared to a standard strat neck?(profile, fretboard radius and fret size)
thanks for the help
First thing to check is the specs

http://www.chapmanguitars.co.uk/guitars/ml1/

I don't think many people here will have played them. I mean there isn't a lot of them floating around.

As for the thing about the pickups I think its designed for you to swap them out, so you shouldn't have any trouble there.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by jimihendrix6699
I heard they are great guitars for their price range.

Fix'd

and who is this 'someone?' You can ask Rob Chappers directly, he is a member on this forum, I'm sure he'll set it straight for you
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I think alot of what you got told isn't true. The guitar is more or less designed to be good in every area apart from the pickups so you can swap them out and have your own custom thing going on. A blank canvas if you will.
Quote by TomG10-7
Fix'd

and who is this 'someone?' You can ask Rob Chappers directly, he is a member on this forum, I'm sure he'll set it straight for you

well multiple people on his forum agree, people on here agree. it sounded good when Rob played it through a marshall JVM on youtube. it sounds pretty beast.

oh my bad, you were just correcting my grammer. but to the OP, look it up on youtube.
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Aug 4, 2010,
you should just ask the owner!

rob chappers is his name
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
well i saw the videos and heard its great but the person that told me the bad things about the guitar is someone that i trust, and that is why i decided to ask here. btw hes a member of the forum but i dont know if hed want me to write his profile name :[]
edit- i did mail chappers 24 hours ago, still no answer...
Last edited by philipk at Aug 4, 2010,
i trust him, he knows more than me about guitars & amps and he is always willing to help
but i, myself, heard the youtube demos and really liked them
so i cant decide if i should trust him or my ears.
so actually i trust him as much as i trust my ears.
Quote by philipk
i trust him, he knows more than me about guitars & amps and he is always willing to help

He is a good player though so he can practically make everything sound good. Not doubting the quality of the guitars.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
well multiple people on his forum agree, people on here agree. it sounded good when Rob played it through a marshall JVM on youtube. it sounds pretty beast.

oh my bad, you were just correcting my grammer. but to the OP, look it up on youtube.

Sorry, I am a self admited grammer nazi and indeed it is a beast, I was considering buying one myself.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
Sorry, I am a self admited grammer nazi and indeed it is a beast, I was considering buying one myself.

haha, no harm done. it never hurts to see the right way to spell things.
Quote by TomG10-7

Muphry's law strikes again! Yes, I typed Muphry on purpose.

Admitted
grammar
Nazi.

Lrn2Grammar Pl0x

Anyway... If Chappers says they're good, they (probably) are. I mean he did make an MG4 sound good,* so I take what he says with a grain of salt.

*That being said, MG4's are easier to get a usable tone out of than the MGDFXs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by philipk

Sometimes willing to help=willing to give an unfounded opinion to maintain the idea that he knows everything.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Sometimes willing to help=willing to give an unfounded opinion to maintain the idea that he knows everything.

he knows what hes talkin' 'bout.
if you respond to this message i will go hang myself with a guitar strap
Quote by philipk

if you're going to cry, you can go to the hugging thread, they will gladly suck your c0ck.
Quote by philipk

wait... what?
SMILE!
Quote by jimihendrix6699
if you're going to cry, you can go to the hugging thread, they will gladly suck your c0ck.

hugging thread? :[]
has this friend of yours actually played the guitar??
seriously, he could be the type of person who always make it out like he knows alot, and when he hears you have money, he tries to spend it for you, basically trying to make you buy somthing he wants, but can't afford. so he disses the ml1, bigs up another guitar, you buy that guitar, he can then play it for himself etc . . . .
(please note the word "could", I am not saying he is, I am rather tired and in a very analytical mood :P )
and I am sure from the things I have seen posted, that every person who has bought an ml1 seems to love it
they are designed to be the best bang for buck guitar out there
plus Chappers is awesome, and I'm sure he wouldn't start a company, only to sell crap
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
I'll repeat what I said before: I've not played 'em, I've never even been in a room with one of them and I've heard plenty of good things about them (£5 to the best "hurr he means women" joke). However, at the same time when I was looking into getting one I was warned off by tales of dodgy fretwork and etc, which I find believable given that it's a sub-£500 guitar made in China (IIRC). I mean, when was the last time you got a MIC guitar that had perfectly crowned fretwire? Same goes for everything else, MIC guitars are not known for their construction quality so when I hear that a MIC guitar isn't quite up to scratch, I have little trouble believing it. So, I've read in a few places that these are the common problems with them and for me, that's enough for me to not buy one because they're common problems with all cheap overseas guitars and I don't have much trouble believing it (yup, repeated myself nicely there but I'm tired and cba to .. something.. whatever.. something.. words.. something).

However, I do stress that I myself have not played an ML1. I am only going on what I have read and heard elsewhere and I do not want to seem like I'm saying they're an absolute waste of space; plenty of people love them. It is simply that I personally am very wary of these things, especially when there are so many "my Epi LP Special-II is better than my teacher's PRS Private Stock, 10/10!" reviews around and so unbelievably positive reviews of cheap guitars tend to not be very worthwhile, at least in my experience. If anything when I see a cheap guitar get rave reviews, I stay the hell away from it. But that's just me.
Ultimately, as I've been telling you all along, you need to get to some shops and actually try these guitars out otherwise you'll never know what's good or bad. But yeah, for what it's worth, I've heard a lot of good things about the ML1, but I've also heard a few bad things too and for me, that's enough to turn me off. Your opinion may vary.

Of course if our dear Monkey Lord would like to swing a free sample my way, maybe I could set the record straight once and for all, give people a review from a voice they know and trust. Etc etc. Hint hint. Nudge nudge. Wink wink. Ahem.

(And seriously, I'll almost certainly be grabbing a customised ML2 myself once they're available, that is if the neck heel is any good. I've got nowt against Chapman guitars, I'm just very, very suspicious of any guitar that gets 10/10 rave reviews right out of the gate and it takes a lot to convince me a cheap guitar is any good and not much to convince me that it isn't. But hey, I'm the dude that rated Gibson Custom Shop VOS Reissues 5/10 on here, so y'know. Many people would say I have bizarre standards.)
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 4, 2010,
Given that I get about twenty e-mails a day from people on U-G, not to mention several messages a day on XBL and for some reason people are still sending me PMs on here (seriously people: I'm not even reading them, I'm not touching this terrible PM system, stop it), it wouldn't be too hard for someone to guess who you meant. I don't want to sound egotistical or anything but having talked to a few of the other long-time members of this site, it does seem like more people ask me for help than anyone else so if you say you've been talking to someone, chances are it's me and anyone could guess that.

Actually I've been meaning to mention this somewhere and I might as well do it now since I'm on the subject anyway: I know a lot of people think I'm ignoring them on MSN or something, but I'm not. Well, not really. I'm just not using MSN any more. I'm happy to help y'all via e-mail or whatever else, but over the last year or so my MSN has been swamped with spammers and also plain ol' idiots, which I can't be bothered to deal with. So I'm just not using MSN now. If anyone I used to talk to on MSN still wants to contact me, all my online contact details are in my profile, I'm happy to help out elsewhere.
And since a few people have asked now, no, I don't use U-Gs weird IM thing either.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MrFlibble surely the same could be said about most sub 500 imports though? Some more expensive than the ml1
Well yeah, that was my point. They're very common problems which is why I personally don't find it too hard to believe that the ML1 is afflicted with them and why it scares me off 'em. I've played more than enough MIC/MII/MIK guitars to know that most of them do have problems and it's highly unlikey that such a guitar is truly worthy of a perfect review. But again, there are equally lots of people who rave about the guitars and what may turn one person off may not been an issue to another person (if they notice it/if it's there at all, come to that). I mean, how many times do you see "hurrr Ibanez necks are the only playable necks in existence hurrr", "derp no only Gibson necks are fast derp derp" arguments on here?

Don't take this to be some anti-Chapman thing, because it absolutely isn't (again, I'm eagerly awaiting the ML2 myself). It's more of an anti-"a 14 year old rated it 11/10? Well I'm sold!" thing. Don't believe everything you read on the internet (both the negative and the positive). Think things through, take everything on board but most importantly, try these things for yourself.

tl;dr version: don't be a blind idiot. Try lots of guitars out, see what works for you. You'll soon work out what your personal limitations and standards are. For some people, the mere mention of the words "made in China" are enough to send them running. Other people could not possibly care any less where their guitar comes from. Everyone has an opinion and it can be very informative to listen to them all, but in the end it's your money, they're your hands and ears and if you're happy/not happy with a guitar than buy/don't buy it. You'll never know what's good and what's bad until you actually play the guitars in question.

EDIT: okay I'm now repeating myself about three times in every post. I'm getting to bed. I think you've all gotten my point by now. Stuff is good. Stuff is bad. I like stuff. I don't like stuff. He likes stuff. He doesn't like stuff. She likes stuff. She doesn't like stuff. You like stuff. You don't like stuff. Try stuff.
I think what we have learnt from this thread is that I can't make any point clearly and concisely when I'm tired and half-cut. **** me I ramble on.
Quote by MrFlibble
I think what we have learnt from this thread is that I can't make any point clearly and concisely when I'm tired and half-cut. **** me I ramble on.

i have a friend that would still be talking but he would have jumped topics about 10 times already, so dont feel bad.
Quote by MrFlibble

EDIT: okay I'm now repeating myself about three times in every post. I'm getting to bed. I think you've all gotten my point by now. Snuff is good. Snuff is bad. I like snuff. I don't like snuff. He likes snuff. He doesn't like snuff. She likes snuff. She doesn't like snuff. You like snuff. You don't like snuff. Try snuff.

Dude...

WTF?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Bah-dum-tssh.
meh slow day at work...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
given thier specs, there is only so bad they can be. i mean thy have to be as good as or better than most guitars in thier price range.

i mean the simple equation of adding up all teh specs = a decent guitar. now if quality is comepletely F up......