Everyone always looks to special cabinets, attenuators, or voltage regulation circuits as a method of getting cranked tone at a reasonable volume level.
But what about speakers?
A sensitivity rating tells you how effectively a speaker converts power (watts) into volume (decibels). The higher the rating, the louder your speakers will play with a given amount of amplifier power. Sensitivity is often measured by driving a speaker with one watt and measuring the loudness in decibels at one meter.

The chart below illustrates that a few dB in sensitivity can make a big difference:

Speaker 	Sensitivity rating      	Power needed to produce a given volume
Speaker A 	85 dB 	                        100 watts
Speaker B 	88 dB 	                        50 watts
Speaker C 	91 dB 	                        25 watts

Has anyone tried getting purposely inefficient speakers? Does anyone make guitar speakers with a low efficiency?

Then there's the new FDM (Flux Density Modulation) technology, which allows you to turn down a speaker's volume.

Here are two of the more affordable models:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EMI-RM-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EMI-MAV-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&
Seem pretty neat. Of course, for more convenient on the fly control, an open back cab would be ideal...
Anyone wanna try them?
Eminence speakers are on the whole stupid efficient. Celestion speakers are mostly stupid inefficient. I don't know of an 85db efficiency speaker though.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Interesting idea, but it looks like you only get 9db of attenuation total? Think my attenuator does like 70 max.

in before attenuator hate.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
Interesting idea, but it looks like you only get 9db of attenuation total? Think my attenuator does like 70 max.

in before attenuator hate.

The thing with this is that it can still get the speakers moving unlike an attenuator turned real far down. That contributes more to cranked tone than power tube distortion, IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
The thing with this is that it can still get the speakers moving unlike an attenuator turned real far down. That contributes more to cranked tone than power tube distortion, IMO.
Exactly, you're still driving the speakers hard. Interesting idea.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by mmolteratx

Seems like a cool idea then. Would be nice in a quarter open back cab where you wouldn't have to take the back off to change the setting.
Guitars
Amps
Yo Min. Buy some so we can try this out for realz. I'm curious now.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
no. scumbacks rule.

It's a pity the speakers Eminence chooses to use with that FDM tech are (IMO) not very good.

It'd be great to have access to Scumbacks or something without paying the $800 per cab fee on top of speakers (I forget the manufacturer that does this).
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i don't think eminence has the ability to put that on other speakers. I know that there's a manufacturer that has similar tech that can be added on. Good thing I like preamp distortion and not icky icky power tube distortion.

^ I know there's somebody that does it too, but I can't remember what they're called.

Something similar to the FDM name and they've been doing it quite a bit longer than Eminence, but it's hugely pricey.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
fluxtone

^ There it is.

It's stupidly expensive to outfit a 4x12 with those though.

it's stupid expensive for just 1 speaker.

^ well, yes, but a 4x12 is four times as stupid expensive.

I might be persuaded to do a 1x12 with a Fluxtone speaker, but never a 2x12 or 4x12, not when a good attenuator is only marginally more than the cost of one speaker.

i sometimes try to lose lower efficiency speakers to keep the volume down. It seems to make a fairly big difference. I mean it's still loud, but it's noticeably less loud.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Did you really sell your Nitro? You never checked out those Guns N Roses clips I sent you that were done using a Nitro?

Yea I did, but not to get an 800, I got something else on the way, it says made in Germany on the back or something
Guitars
Amps
^ Nope, but if it's not a Jensen, Alnico Blue, Greenback or G12H30 copy, there's really no reason to have attenuation on it, is there?

Metalheads certainly aren't going to need it as they already have MV amps and use preamp distortion.