I am going to be buying a new amp and figured I should just build a cab instead of buying one. I have experience with building subwoofer boxes so I am guessing its somewhat similar. The thing I am having problems with is finding what dimensions to use. This is the speaker I will probably use. http://eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=MANOWAR&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=4
I am not sure if it should be sealed or vented. The spec sheet says either is acceptable. Would it be best to just copy some specs from other companies? Does a speaker need a specifically designed cab for it?
do you want just a small cab, or like the size of a marshall 4x12?? you need to decide what size cab you want.
Quote by savage94
do you want just a small cab, or like the size of a marshall 4x12?? you need to decide what size cab you want.

I am just looking for a 1x12 cab. Something like a combo amp size.
I have read someplace on here that you want to keep your measurements all odd numbers. If you are just looking for something small and light weight, you could do like 15" high by 17" wide by 13" deep. Really anything would work as long as it is higher than 12" and wider than 12".
Gear:
Schecter Revenger 7-String
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
It depends on whether you want it to be open back or closed back. If open, then just make it whatever dimensions are convenient. If it is to be closed back, then dimensions matter.
Quote by cedricsmods
It depends on whether you want it to be open back or closed back. If open, then just make it whatever dimensions are convenient. If it is to be closed back, then dimensions matter.

So how do i find those dimensions for a sealed box?
I cannot give you dimensions offhand. But if you use a search engine, there are several calculators on the web that you can use. You input Thiele and Small parameters from the speaker data sheet you linked to and it gives you the ideal interior volume of the cab. There are also equations for port size if you want to port it.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by cedricsmods
I cannot give you dimensions offhand. But if you use a search engine, there are several calculators on the web that you can use. You input Thiele and Small parameters from the speaker data sheet you linked to and it gives you the ideal interior volume of the cab. There are also equations for port size if you want to port it.

I was playing around with this WinISD program. It said for a qtc value of 0.707 I would need a box that is 19 cu. ft! and then when I dropped the qtc to 0.8 it went to 4 cu ft. Why is there such a huge difference? Would it sound that much different?
I don't know all the physics behind it, and for my style of play I prefer open cabs anyway. If I remember correctly, there are some helpful threads here on UG, and several users with much more experience working withsealed cabs (Phil Starr comes to mind). You can increase "apparent" volume by lining the interior with soundproof material.
Check out Bubonic_Chronics Cab Building tutorial.
He explains nodes in there fairly well. If memory serve me correctly, nodes are the things you want to avoid, by making your cabs an odd dimension.
If you were to make a 15"x15" cab, instead make it 15 5/16"x15 5/16" or something of that type.
Read his tutorial though. I could be blabbering about something, that doen't even exist. Thats just from my one reading of it.

Also, You wouldn't need port or anything for a guitar amp. Unless you got some 15" speakers in there, there no need.
As for Open Back or closed back, the choice is yours. Peronally I prefer open 'cause it provide storage space, and well, my pedalboard fits in my 4x10" and also, I find it give a bigger sound. Rather than sound jut coming from the front, it actually comes from the back also. Better bass responce for guitar IMO.
..I was watching my death.
So sealed or open is personal preference? Does the type of music that you play affect this? I will mostly be playing metalcore stuff.
Here's some nice plans on a closed back cabinent.

http://ax84.com/corecabinets.html

A different design here, I can't remember if anything came out of it: http://www.ax84.com/bbs/index.php?id=370639

Dimensions do matter, but they aren't critical for a guitar cabinet. Marshal 1960 cabinets were dimensioned out to maximize the amount of cabinets they could get per sheet of wood, not for tone.

If you tune your cabinet though for your particular speaker, you can get a really big sound despite having one speaker.