Hi.
I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a 12 string acoustic guitar over a 6 string acoustic guitar in a song?
Thanks a lot.
Jack.
12 string guitars have a thick and chorusy, lush sound (If they are good), and can often add a bit of flavour to a song if you feel it could do with it.

I often find that chorusy sound can sound a bit tacky and 80's sometimes.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
12-strings have their place.

On some songs, they sound absolutely wonderful, but I think the sound of a 12-string would get old after a few songs in a row of nothing but. I love the sound of them, but I don't own one strictly because I don't have use for one at this point.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
while the chorus-y sound of a 12 string can be very cool, 12 strings aren't anywhere near as versatile as 6 strings. i wouldn't consider one as an only guitar, but they can be fun to mess with as long as you have at least one 6 string for most stuff.
I don't like their sound. Too sugary. Not enough grit.

90% of 12 strings are bought by newbies because they don't know better. Only buy a 12 string if you have played a while are certain it is the type of sound you want. You can buy good quality 12 strings 'used' (almost mint) at bargain prices.

(if you are new, they are also a pain to set up and tune)
i don't know where you came up with that 90%, but almost everyone i know with a 12 string - including my husband - were very experienced guitar players when they bought their 12 strings, and wanted to add to their arsenal. some of the people i've talked to at gc's who owned 12 strings were newbs, but most i've talked to had played for at least a year before getting their 12 string.

Quote by Raptorfingers

90% of 12 strings are bought by newbies because they don't know better. Only buy a 12 string if you have played a while are certain it is the type of sound you want. You can buy good quality 12 strings 'used' (almost mint) at bargain prices.

Quote by Raptorfingers

I would really like a source for that 90% number, because I'm pretty sure that I've never met a newbie with a 12-string.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.