Page 1 of 2
As the title suggests, amps piss me off, they make me want to give up playing the guitar.

I recently bought a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 1x12 combo.
When I bought it, I thought it sounded really, really good.
Now I'm not so sure.

The cleans just arn't as good as Fenders that I have used in the past, and therefore leave something to be desired. They're good, but you know.

The distortion just isn't distorted enough, not enough saturation, it sounds somewhat weak and flaily, again, it's fine for classic rock or whatever, but I turn on my Big Muff on the clean channel and it just blows the dirty channel away, this dissapoints me. I'm sure it wasn't like this in the shop when I played it.

I think I've left it too long to take the amp back to the shop that I bought it from, so I have no idea what I'm going to do about that.

It would seem that my only solution is to buy one amp for clean (Fender) and another amp for dirty (no idea which, maybe a Marshall or something), and run them both at the same time with an A/B thing.

It upsets me that I spent so much money on an amp, yet I'm still not satisfied.

I really don't know what to do.

Help/discuss/laugh/suggest/input.....

Nice one.

Fuzz

X
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Don't know if it helps or not but i have found that I can listen to an amp and think it sounds great, until I A/B it against another sound, and realize i don't like it as much as i thought it did.

That's probably true for every amp i have sold.
Guitars
Amps
Could you not get a Fender to give you the cleans you want and then get your dirt from a pedal.
Current Gear
Schecter Ultracure Robert Smith signature
Rickenbacker 330/6
CIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox AC30CC2X
The amps you play should go along with what style you play, a lot of amps cant play every style, well. For instance, you have a fender ehich is good for rock, jazz etc. And you got a Mesa Boogie which is good metal. you need to learn these things before you buy another amp
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Are you running it at high enough volumes?
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
'100%' - no offence man, but please don't talk to me like I'm an idiot, I obviously understand that....

I actually played one of the Custom Audio Amps, fantastic, but way out of my price range

I could buy a Fender and then get the dirt from a pedal, yeah, but I've found that the speakers in Fenders don't sound particularly good when you add high gain pedals to them, and if you change the speaker, you spoil the cleans. Plus, a pedal isn't going to sound as good and a proper overdriven amp.

I don't always run it at high volumes to be perfectly honest, but I have done many a time, and it seems that every time, I am still dissapointed with the voicing and weakness of the overdrive

At the end of the day, if I want to buy different amps, I have to find a way of getting rid of this one, without ripping myself off.

It's a great amp, versatile too, it's just not tailored to suit me, I suppose.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Haha yeah,

Well I bought the amp for about £1350, somewhere around that, I got it slightly cheaper than most places were selling it for. But that was half way through June, so I doubt they'd take it back now.

So if I sell it, although it's in 100% mint condition, I'm not sure how much I would get for it.
Haha, I'm afraid.

Also, I borrowed a few hundred pounds from my dad to buy this amp, and so I feel like I shouldn't take it back, I dunno why, you know what I mean. I very much doubt they will take it back anyway, if they have any sort of returns policy, it'll be a 28/30 day one.

I f*cking hate the guitar, it's shit.
Haha, I enjoy going out to shops and trying and buying things.
But I just want to find the tone that I want, so that I can get on with my life .
Is probably that you haven't played many amps in the past and though the Express sounded great when you tried it, so you bought it.

I hate the Express series, worst sounding amps Mesa has ever made IMO. I'd say your thoughts on it are accurate to that amp. I think you just bought the wrong amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
didn't you get a bunch of other suggestions the last time you asked about amps?

a rivera ktre
a rockerverb 100
rocker 30

would do what you need it to do.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Maybe try to trade it with someone? Mesa amps go for pretty high prices used in Europe, so while you won't get out what you put in when buying it if you sell it, the loss won't be that terrible.
Well, I'm no amp guru or anything, but I've played a fair few different amps. It sounded good in the shop, but I've just grown to like it less and less.. Yeah I've just bought the wrong amp for me at the end of the day.

I think the Express sounds alot better than the F series, I played them both on the same day.

Yeah, people have suggested things to me, I'm just so crap at making decisions

I've never seen a Rivera in this country to be honest.

I like the OD on the Orange amps that I've tried, but not the cleans.
And I love the cleans on most Fenders that I've tried, but not the OD.

Always seems to be one or the other with me.

I'm thinking a Hotrod Deluxe (I actually really like the cleans on these amps)
And maybe a Marshall or Orange or something for dirty, a used one, I never thought I'd be saying that I want a Marshall.

But I need to sell this Mesa first.

Or I could just stick to singing haha.

EDIT: A trade is a good idea, are there any sites that I could look on to do something like that? I also want to trade my Tele for a Strat.
I think I'll just play the acoustic guitar from now on haha.
what shop did you buy it from??
in all honesty, even though it's over the 30 day money back thing, if you go in, and are nice with them, explain that this isnt the amp for you, and that you was going to return it soon, but couldn't travel, or somthing like that, I am sure they will give you a full / nearly full refund
you can get a secondhand rectoverb/tremoverb for about £800, which should blow the express FAR out of the water
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
Ah the quest for the right tone. This is why I own 3 different amps and already have 4 more on my list

I played an express the other day. Did not like. At all. But it was also a GC floor model for pedals so who knows it could've been screwed up.
I have a huge fear if rays.
You should definately try and take it back...the worst they can say is that they won't do it.

And I agree with MC...I've never liked the Express either, always thought they were hugely overpriced.

As for Rivera dealers...they are pretty rare over here, but they're a pretty boutique brand so that's to be expected. However, I have seen quite a few come through Chandler's in London. They often get amps that have broken down on tour in, so they have quite a lot of expensive cool stuff

They used to anyway, it's been a couple of years since I shopped with them....
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Also, you should keep an eye out on the Sneap classifieds...amps there tend to be high gain but the guys are pretty honest and the prices are often very good.

I got my 5150 from there when there weren't any available on musicradar, eBay, or gumtree....
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Peach Guitars in Braintree, I'd never even been there before untill I bought this amp.

The website says:

'The company will not accept any returns without a valid returns authorisation. All mail order returns must be notified within seven days of delivery date. It is the purchasers responsibility to return any unwanted products to the company in the condition that they were received, in the oroginal packaging and witha copy of the sales receipt. A free collection will be made by the company in the case of faulty or incorrectly supplied goods. Unwanted goods must be returned at the purchasers expense. The company reserves the right to make a re-stocking charge in the case of goods incorrectly purchased.'

What exactly is a valid returns authorisation?
It's in completly perfect condition, I havn't even taken the tags off.

If I could get the full money back, I could buy two amps and probably get what I want.

I don't recall trying the AD30 no, I'll have to keep an eye open.

How good are the cleans on the Rectoverb?

I'm not even sure the Mesa sound is what I want anymore, I think I want a dirtier, crunchier distortion, that's still really hi gain, then again I'm never sure about anything.
Returns authorisation sounds like something you would have to get issued from customer services. Forget about it...if it's still got the tags just take it in, say I bought this from you and when I got home I decided I didn't like the sound. Go on about how it's in mint condition etc and so forth. If they want to know why it's been so long, just say something like it was a gift, bought ahead of the date and you have only just received it last week.

Although more important than what you say is to be courteous...tell them what you want but be nice about it. Shouting won't get you anywhere.

Good luck! I'm pretty confident they'll take it back, in their circumstances I would

EDIT: Oh, and if they're starting to look like saying no, mention that you're happy to take store credit (assuming you are) cause that way they're not loosing any business.

Last edited by idiotbox919 at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by idiotbox919
EDIT: Oh, and if they're starting to look like saying no, mention that you're happy to take store credit (assuming you are) cause that way they're not loosing any business.

Definitely do this, they will be much more willing to take it back. I tend to buy things at guitar center and return them after spending a week or so with. They almost always try and get me to buy something else.

Just check what they have in stock or if they'll order something for you... and check the price if they have to order it.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't shout at them, they havn't done anything wrong haha. But I can't say it was a gift, I was the one who bought it, it's only a small shop, so they'll probably remember me.

I'd be more than happy to take store credit providing they could get me what I want, but I fear that that would be a problem as I may need to buy used to get what I want.

I might give it a go.

Thanks for the help guys
Budda Superdrive 18 sounds like it'll do what you want in one amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Haha nah, it definatly won't work, the guy knew it was for me, I was the one testing it and playing it and stuff.

I don't think they'll have a problem exchanging it for store credit, I'm not so sure about for cash. I could get a Hotrod Deluxe for cleans from them, but then I doubt that will leave me with enough money to buy a good distortion amp from them new.

EDIT: Those Buddah amps looks pretty awsome actually, but again, never seen one in real life, didn't they used to only make cabs but have recently started making amps?

God, I feel so stupid for buying this Mesa now
Last edited by FuzzLove at Aug 4, 2010,
Once I was out of the return period at a small shop and they still took it back about a week or past. If it's a small shop they probably won't really care and give you store credit.
Quote by 100%
The amps you play should go along with what style you play, a lot of amps cant play every style, well. For instance, you have a fender ehich is good for rock, jazz etc. And you got a Mesa Boogie which is good metal. you need to learn these things before you buy another amp

eh....
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
you're going to need to try more stuff out. it's hard to get it right the first time if at all. I cycled so many amps before I settled on the 2 main ones I have now.

Yeah man, I'm worried that I wont be able to get the money back from this amp though, and I'm really just not satisfied with it.

Saying that though, part of me thinks its could be the guitar, I have a maple guitar with JB/Jazz pick-ups, pretty bright sounding. I was thinking of maybe getting a mahogany guitar with some different pickups. Maybe that would satisfy me more.

But yeah, I'm gonna need to go around trying some different amps. This year I have had a Fender Twin, a Blackstar, this Mesa, I've tried Oranges, Vox, Peaveys, plus many more. I just can't find one that I like both the cleans and OD on. Looks like I'm gonna be a two amp man haha.
ya you might need to do that. Like an both my high gain amps the cleans are alright for playing and using but they don't really compare to the amp I got for my cleans at all.

I don't know if you're familer with the band Biffy Clyro, but the guitarist from that band uses 3 amps on stage, a Fender Hotrod Deville, a Peavey Delta Blues, and an old Marshall head, can't remember what one. Recently he's been using a Hayden Mofo and Speakeasy aswell some of the time... If I had loads of money and some roadies to carry it for me, I'd definatly do something like that.

I think my tastes have just changed, I no longer like the amps and guitars that I own haha, I hate it when that happens.
Quote by Jackamedmos
Do pickups "wind you up?

I think the transformers in his amp wound him up, actually.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2